Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-16-2007, 02:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/245/170

Height: 5'8"

Default Worried about post weight loss body

I don't like my body now, I hate going shopping, nothing ever fits right etc. I want to lose a lot of weight, perhaps even more than my current goal, we'll see, but I guess I've gotten kind of use to my body as well.

This is what I'm worried about: After I lose all this weight, what's giong to happen to my skin? Am I going to have all this lose skin hanging around? What about my bust? They're probably the only thing I really like about my body. I'm a 40D and I understand that they'll decrease in size, that's fine, I'll look porportional, but are they going to be all saggy? What can I do to make sure? I've been big all my life and I've never lost this weight so I have no idea what's going to happen.
Bizzy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:03 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

The body image forum is a great place to learn about such issues.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=219

There is no real way to tell how you will look after you lose the weight. Everyone says that you can't see anything out of the ordinary in clothes and others report having no loose skin while others report having a lot of loose skin. Loose skin also tends to get better with time so even if you lose 100 lbs in a year, it may take a couple years for your skin to catch up with you.

I've lost 150 lbs and loose skin is a problem for me but then again I was 300 lbs or over for 15 years and was always fat. Also I don't think my genetics were beneficial either because my mom also has loose skin from gaining some weight and being pregnant twice.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Bizzy B - have you checked out our "Body Image After Weight Loss" forum? There is a whole "sticky" thread devoted to skin after weight loss.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=219

I've lost 133 lbs, and yes, I have some loose skin. It hides easily in clothing, a LOT more easily than the fat did! Some people opt to have it removed surgically after weight loss if it makes them uncomfortable. I'm not planning to go that route, because while it bothers me, it doesn't bother me enough to undergo surgery. It is worst on my stomach and my inner thighs.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #4  

Thanks you two, I'm going to head to that forum now and read up on it. I suppose that some loose skin shouldn't really bother me, considering the other options of staying this weight, like having a heart attack or something. It's just, I would love to feel comfortable naked, for once in my life. To me, that feeling would just be so amazing.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Isn't it like losing weight after a baby? I was over 200 lbs with my boy, of course some of that was him, I don't think my stomach will ever be the same again. How about the movie stars that lose weight after babies, do you buy it? Or is it plastic surgery? Stomach don't reallly look like that after being stretched out pregnant do they?
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:11 PM   #6  

I have no idea. Maybe it's all toning? Maybe it is surgery.. it's hard for me to trust anything i see on TV. I just don't want to feel ugly after I lose this weight. Even though I'm really heavy, I don't feel ugly, I just feel fat.

I think I'm worrying too much.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:26 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

You should definately check out the Body Image Forum. I have lost over 100 and have TONS of loose skin and will NEVER look good - or even decent naked - but I would never go back to the weight I was at before.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:30 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Loose skin will be dependent on your age, how long you've been fat, how elastic your skin is (younger skin is usually more elastic). Some toning exercises during loss can help it. Also massaging with lotion on a consistent basis has been known to cause some improvement. Regardless, naked or not, you either MAYBE have SOME loose skin you're not pleased with, or you have ALL fat sticking out and easily noticeable, that you're definately not pleased with. Being dressed makes the loose skin even more appealing than the fat. Cause you can hide it under clothing. And you can always have surgeries to fix it later.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:01 PM   #9  

I'm 23, so hopefully my skin will be elastic enough to bounce back. Plus the bulk of my work out will be callesthenics which I hear is great for toning.. hopefully things will work out. But I guess I'd rather have loose skin than a bunch of fat in the long run. I'll make sure to keep posted and if I find anything helping I'll let everyone know.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:31 AM   #10  

Quote:
Maybe I am losing so slowly that the skin is getting use to it as I go along.
And maybe you're just lucky plus you didn't have all that much to lose.

I think it's great that you're ending up in a body that you think looks good.

But there appears to be no relation between how fast you lose the weight and whether (or how much) your skin bounces back.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:04 AM   #11  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

I really have no idea. I thought maybe because I was losing slowly that was helping. My sister and mother at one time lost lots and lots of weight and they didn't have much lose skin when they were done. Might just be in the genes who knows. No, I don't have to lose as much as many people but 78lbs is a lot of weight to lose on a short small frame like mine. Hope the skin keeps doing as well as it is doing.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:14 AM   #12  
Just Me

Well it is true that your body takes time to adjust to your weight loss so loose skin may be less noticeable if you lose slower but overall loose skin is generally the same given the same amount of weight loss on the same person for the same period of time. Meaning, if you lose 50 lbs in 6 months as opposed to losing 50 lbs in a year, you should have the same amount of loose skin at the end of year 1 and after year 2, you might again have a noticeable difference and again have the same amount of loose skin, no matter how fast you lost the weight in year 1.

It is one reason that plastic surgeons will generally recommend you wait a year after having lost weight so that your skin will bounce back a bit on its own.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #13  

I heard a plastic surg. say on Oprah one time that after weightloss your skin is going to do what it is going to do by the 7th month mark?
Skinny4baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:53 PM   #14  
Just Me

Shy,

You actually lose muscle (and other tissues) no matter how slow you lose the weight. You can do things to minimize the muscle loss, especially by doing weight training but it happens unfortunately. Part of it is because your body needs less muscle to support itself when you weigh less.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:22 PM   #15  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

I'm 27 and have gone from 220 to 160. I haven't had many issues, mostly just stretch marks. But it really differs from person to person, and it definitely helps that you are younger. Good luck to you! Its also good to see another Rhode Islander on here. Sometimes I feel so lonely!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote