Old 11-16-2007, 02:44 AM   #1  
The Keymaker

S/C/G: 328/250/160

Height: 5'7

Talking Show some love

Hello all!
My name is Jess and I've been around the boards for probably a year now. I've been focusing most of my time on the Fat Smash forum because that is the diet that I started, but for some reason that forum is like a ghost town. There is ZERO interaction there and for someone that needs constant feedback, it's not working.

I remember how supportive and helpful this board was and I want to jump back in. I got through the first two stages of my program and now I've hit a snag, so I'm probably just going to go back to watching calories, eating healthy and working out.

So far I've lost ten pounds, but I weigh in on Monday and I'm nervous about this week's progress. This time of year is so hard, the holidays are coming up, finances are stretched, the weather is cold and windy so all you want to do is snuggle up under the covers and eat.

I would love to hear from everyone. What kind of programs are you following?
Jess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:53 AM   #2  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Glad you came to join us.
When I began I just started counting calories, religiously, and exercising.. At the present I count calories for most of the day, and if I can't I just estimate my food in, it is working, I continue to loose, and I exercise. I began with very little exercise, and now do 45-48 minutes on the elliptical, weight lifting 4 -5 times a week, and some genereal exercises 4-5 times a week.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Hello jess8,
I am doing calorie counting. I did WW before and lost 120 pounds. Only to gain it back when i quit (yes, that was stupid). So now, i am counting calories and it works for me. I have to be on a diet that has no "off limit" foods. Moderation is a realistic lifestyle for me. I used to go to the Y, then i bought an elliptical but it broke a few months ago. So now i am doing Walk Away the Pounds and i love it. It works out great.
I am like you though, i have to have interaction and constant communication with others that are going through the same thing.
I can relate to being nervous about an upcoming weigh in. I weigh in on fridays. Didnt do so well this week. I stayed the same. Looking back on teh past week, i know why i didnt lose. I had a really bad weekend, food wise AND i struggled the rest of the week. My goal is 1600-1700 cals a day, this past week, i was getting 1800- to even as high as 2000 a day. I dont know what the deal was, but i will definately get back on target this week. Especially with me having to weigh in a day early next week because of thanksgiving. So hopefully i can be good from now until thursday and get that scale moving.
What is your calorie goals per day when you count cals? We are about the same weight.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I count calories and try to get as much exercise as I can, I'm slowed down a bit because of an injury.I just do what I can.
I find counting calories to be the best for me tho I have done many other diets.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:41 AM   #5  
MeoW

S/C/G: 275/215/160

Height: 5'7

Jess8- congrats on your 10 pound loss!

I agree that this time of the year is REALLY difficult to lose weight

And as for my plan, Im really just counting calories and entering them on fitday, trying to exercize when I can and drinking all my water
cupcake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:44 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi jess,
Yes, I think cold weather and the holidays make this a difficult time. I've had to lower my expectations and convince myself that any progress is good progress. I follow South Beach Diet and love it. It's the perfect plan for me. Good luck with the weigh in!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I'm a calorie counter and exercise at least 5 times a week. I try to keep the South Beach principles in mind but counting everything is what works for me.

Welcome to the board and congrats on your loss so far.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:12 PM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:37 PM   #9  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

Hey Jess - I'm also calorie counting with fitday. Seeing those number add up keeps me in check. I had been exercising 5 times a week but I'm getting over an MS flare up and partial tear on a knee ligament so for now I'm just losing weight without a lot of exercise :| Recording what goes in my mouth has been a huge reality check. Welcome! Keep us updated!

Last edited by valpal23; 11-16-2007 at 01:38 PM.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:44 PM   #11  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

I think you'll find that this board is the most wonderful place to get the support you need, no matter what your plan is

Best form of support I've ever had in my life.

You are SO welcome here
Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Welcome, Jess I have created my own plan based on parts of diets and pieces I picked up here and there...I just took what worked for me, tossed the rest, and smashed all those pieces together. For example, from the South Beach Diet I found that eating tons of veggies gives me so much energy and keeps me feeling full, so I focus my meals on protein and veggies, snacks on fruit and any grains I try to make whole grains. I love Jillian Michaels and her book clued me in to counting carbs and what a really good workout feels like.

I workout almost daily, but take it extremely light 1-2 days a week...if I skip a day it's hard for me to make myself get going again, and I am addicted now to exercise! I like to have a challenge for motivation, so right now I am "walking" home for Christmas...calculated the miles from my NC home to Ohio where I grew up, and I have a system of assigning all my exercise and other activities into miles and I want to be "home" for CHristmas, since I can't really be there this year.

Hang around and I"m sure you'll find what you are looking for, this is a very active group.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:57 AM   #13  
beautiful on the inside:P

S/C/G: 119 (262) /107 (235) /60 (132)

Height: 5'6''

Hi there Jess,
Well, certainly you won't see a lack of action on this forum. It always seems to be hopping
Anyways, my program is mainly not eating "white." No sugar, no refined flour (or really any flour), no white rice, no processed foods, no non-natural fats, no caffeine, no alcohol. I don't monitor calories, just eat whatever I want of the foods that are not forbidden. So far this has worked quite well. I'm rarely hungry and I feel great! (Of course sometimes I go off the rails, like tonight--curse that delicious Indian food!) I also walk at least 30 minutes every day.

Hang in there! We all CAN survive the holidays!
kasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:31 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Welcome back, Jess!!

I'm doing a really loose version of weight watchers. Meaning, I've been there a few times over the years and still have the old materials. I track points because it means I have to REALLY think about what I'm eating.. and when I count calories, sometimes I *know* I'm not honest about how much I'm eating.

It can take some time to figure out what works for you, but it sounds like you're on your way! Congratulations on the 10 pounds. And this little corner of the board is ALWAYS full of feedback, so I think you've come to the right place.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:49 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi Jesse! I'm doing low carb, low fat and counting calories. I've never heard of fat smash--how is it possible that I missed a diet? Anyway, I'm combining a few different approaches that have worked for me in the past and don't have another forum home, so welcome back--the more the merrier.
missy3gal is offline   Reply With Quote