General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-15-2007, 02:16 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default ARGH!!!! Verizon is calling me!

I'm eligible for a new phone. Big deal. I've been eligible for over 2 years now. I like my phone. Now the store where I purchased my original phone 5 or 6 years ago is calling me. I lost the original phone just as the contract was up, so I got a new free one a 3 or 4 years ago.

I'm not going to get another one until closer to camping time. If it doesn't pick up at the campground, then I'll exchange it. I'm not getting one before that.

Hey! Verizon! LEAVE MY MINUTES ALONE!
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 263/249/125

Height: 5'4"

I don't know for sure about Verizon, but my cell company will hint that you need to upgrade/replace the phone when the contract is up as well. What they aren't telling you is that there is a distinct possibility that your current phone is about to encounter serious difficulties because their network is changing faster than the technology of your current phone can handle. Personally, I don't use my cell a whole lot (I held onto my first cell phone for 8 years), so I don't care one way or the other. But people who are heavy users, heavy texters, tend to notice the delay and slowdown. So next time you receive a call ask them specifically if there is something changing that you need to take action on now or if it can wait until Spring. If you get a lot of hemming and hawing, wait. If you get technical jargon that you aren't sure about, try stopping in at another Verizon store and ask the clerks there what they know about it. Then make the best decision you can around all the high pressure sales crap you receive.
kappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:39 PM   #3  
I wanna be a loser, too

Thanks. This is the first call I've gotten. I think she was new. She seemed unsure of her words. I did tell her that I was considering adding my husband to my account. She seemed to perk up at that and was pushing me for a date and time to come to her store. I told her we'd do it when we wanted to do it and not before. She seemed to back off a bit at that. We won't be going to that store anyway. It is out of the way now. We'll go to the one that opened near us. I didn't tell her that. If she calls back again, I'll just have to tell her to put me on the do not call list. I wonder if she even knows what that is. LOL.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:50 PM   #4  

Oh please...I keep getting calls from an 800 number almost daily and I never answer it and they never leave a message. I googled the various numbers and they all come up as verizon telemarketers. I am SO annoyed by it. I emailed them and am awaiting a response. They better not call me w/a response b/c I probably won't answer. hahaha
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:56 PM   #5  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Just a side note here. Verizon will try to sell you a contract for a new plan when you get your new phone. You don't NEED to sign a contract for a new plan. You can simply renew your current plan (which most likely costs less than any of their current plans) for 2 years and you are still entitled to the free phone.

Also, if you are getting calls from Verizon and aren't a current customer or were not in the recent past and want to stop getting them, sign up for the National Do-Not Call Registry. If you signed up when it first went into effect, you will have to renew. Your sign-up will expire after a couple years and then people can start calling you again. https://www.donotcall.gov/

Oh and you should be able to tell Verizon not to call you with any offers, even if you are a current customer.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

I will be changing my plan. I'll be adding boobalah, so I have to go to the family plan instead of my individual one. It will still be cheaper than what I pay for my Verizon and what he pays for his "suckular" plans.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:44 PM   #7  
Token Vulcan

I just got my renewal and free phone from them last week. I was at 2 years plus a couple of months. Nobody called me, I would just get the occasional e-mail about what was available. I upgraded because I could barely hear people on the other phone, even at top volume. I'm in NYC so I was always like, why is the signal so freakin' bad? My new phone is much clearer.

That being said, I don't much like Verizon for anything else. I encountered problems when I cancelled a land line (they activated long distance and they deactivated my DSL, and even when I got it back it conked out again so now I've got Time Warner Road Runner).
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote