Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #1  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Default Warmy snacks for winter?

My snacks are usually fresh fruits or veggies paired with a little protein like PB, hummus, or low fat cheese. But I just can't bear all that cold food on chilly days! Any ideas for healthy, low calorie, high volume snacks?

BTW I already drink a lot of tea, and I like soup sometimes but more often it feels like drinking my calories when I prefer eating them unless it's something heartier and more caloric.

Thanks!
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #2  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I love oatmeal as a snack (in fact, I'm eating some right now ). It's warm and very satisfying. I get Trader Joe's multi-grain cereal (it's like oatmeal but it has other grains), which is only 130 calories per serving, add some sugar-free sweetener (usually Torani sugar-free syrup) and cinnamon. If I have extra calories, I add fresh fruit, non-fat yogurt, and/or a tablespoon of pumpkin puree.

There is a stand at my farmer's market that sells homemade vegetable soup that has almost no calories (one cup is 0 pts for Weight Watchers, so I think that is less than 25 calories). It occurred to me that I could make it myself using fat free chicken broth and lots of low calorie veggies. It wouldn't be like drinking my calories because, well, it would have almost no calories. I am thinking of making a big pot of it and freezing or canning it in single serving packages.

Or spread PB on a low calorie wrap, wrap it around a banana, and pop it in the microwave for a few minutes. It will be warm and melty--very yummy on on cold day.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:15 PM   #3  
Focus

S/C/G: 296/ticker/199/

Height: 5'4

I like diet hot choc. or maybe a cup of hot soup!
Dumplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:31 PM   #4  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Thanks for the ideas! The banana wrap sounds yummy. I also love pumpkin puree on everything, but never thought of oatmeal! I'll definitely be trying these.
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Roasted squash, mashed up with a tbs of pumpkin butter. Cut up an apple, microwave it for 4 minutes. Add 1/4 cup frozen blueberries, cover, microwave for 1 minute. Top with 2 tbs of granola, if desired.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

It's pretty easy to make squash soup come in at fewer than 100 cals/serving (if you skip the cream and use ff sour cream instead). That's my new afternoon snack, with a slice of whole wheat 'french' bread. It's filling and tasty and feels satisfying.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:21 PM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Slice up an apple, mix it with some cinnamon and sweetener (brown sugar or artificial sweetener, whatever you prefer), and bake it until the apple is mushy. You could throw in some raisins, craisins, or frozen berries if you want.

Applesauce is good warm (just heat it up in the microwave).

Oatmeal is also good with peanut butter stirred into it.

It sounds a little strange, but I also like my oatmeal with a tbsp of cocoa powder stirred into it (and some sweetener, of course). It comes out nice and chocolately.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

We do the hot apples for dessert a lot - DH gets vanilla ice cream with his, I do ff plain yogurt. It's also good on pancakes or some other low cal treat like angel food cake.

The veggie soup is good and virtually calorie free. You can make it as "chunky" or soupy as you like.

A low cal frozen waffle toasted and spread with some pb is also good.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:58 PM   #9  

I am ADDICTED to oat bran hot cereal with a little canned pumpkin, a little egg beaters, sweetener and cinnamon and nutmeg with a little light vanilla ice cream on top.
DIVINE!

OOOH I'll have to try the cocoa powder trick!

Last edited by lipidful; 11-12-2007 at 01:59 PM.
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote