Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-06-2007, 03:20 PM   #1  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Default Because Cranberries Aren't Just For Cranberry Sauce!

Hello!

I made a marvelous find in my grocer's produce section the other day. The cranberries have come out for the holidays and while normally used for cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving and Christmas... surprisingly you can eat them other ways!

Cranberries are naturally bitter and sometimes tangy so if you are looking for a different tasting snack try a few. I have a trick to get mine a bit more juicy tasting and its like chewing gum sorta (I had some free time at work so I thought up this weird little ditty.) Put one or two cranberries in your mouth and you can gently roll it around in your mouth with your teeth lightly squishing the inner contents of the berry. Make sure you don't pop the skin until you are ready for it! Not only does it make the berry juicy, but it makes a funny pop in your mouth.

Aside from mild entertainment you can make this:

Cranberry Muffins

Ingredients

* 1 sprays cooking spray
* 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup uncooked old fashioned oats
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
* 1/4 tsp baking soda
* 1/4 tsp table salt
* 1 cup fat-free vanilla yogurt
* 1/4 cup fat-free skim milk
* 2 Tbsp fat-free egg substitute
* 1 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine, melted
* 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
* 1/2 cup dried cranberries
* 1 Tbsp sugar

Instructions

* Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray or fill pan with paper liners.

* Combine flour, oats, 1/4 cup of sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Mix well with a fork, make a well in the center and set aside.

* Whisk yogurt, milk, egg substitute, margarine and vanilla together in a small bowl. Fold mixture into dry ingredients until blended; fold in cranberries. Spoon batter into prepared pan, filling each cup about 2/3 full.

* Bake for 20 minutes; sprinkle tops of muffins with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, about 5 minutes more. Allow to cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely.

Who ever said cranberries were just for cranberry sauce? Posh!
chellez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

I Loooooooooooove cranberries -- thanks chellez!!
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:19 PM   #3  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Not a problem!

They are so tart and not to mention have tons of health benefits.

I'm finding out the side effect is having to run to the little girls room.... alot!
chellez is offline   Reply With Quote