Old 11-05-2007, 01:07 PM   #1  
LAWL: Gold -> Blue Plan

S/C/G: S:158/G:139

Default I think its time I give up.

I think that this diet is not working for me.. I really think I just need to add exercise into my life, coupled with the knowledge ive gained from being on LA weight loss, and at that point I will prob see a difference.. I began LA weight loss at 158 lbs, wanting to get to 139. That was on July 1st. It is now November, 4 months later, and I am at 151 lbs. 7 lbs in 4 months.. Thats pretty bad. I know there are slow losers, but this is ridiculous. It's getting me frustrated and to the point where I just want to give up. I am seeing no results. I got to 151 after about 1 1/2 months on the plan, and for the past 2 1/2 I have been stuck there. I really think my body does not want to go below that. I am fine with the number, but not with how I look or feel.. I guess I really just need to try to tone up some, and lose the last 10 or so lbs from exercise. No matter what I do, what plan I switch to, or what take off I try - I don't budge below 150. Thats gotta tell me something.. That no matter how I adjust my food intakes, I am not going below 150 without added something that is not food related. I have considered vitamins, fucothin, suppliments, etc.. I dont know which direction to go with that though. Any advice would be much appreciated, but really I think it honestly comes down to exercise. Theres really no point in me wasting time with the center anymore and paying anymore money (my weight loss weeks run up this week). I may just tell them okay my weight loss is done, and move onto maintenance/stabiization just so I can learn how those steps work - but not actually move onto that point yet. Really though with the constant turnover in my center, I dont even enjoy going there as much as I used to. These forums are great, and a big help, so I will continue to use them to guide me. So what does everyone else think? When youve tried every trick in the book concerning eating habits and still cant lose .. what else is next? I am willing to try just about anything.
ooodsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:17 PM   #2  
-- Karen --

S/C/G: 165/143/140

Height: 5' 6"

how tall are you?
our stats are similar. I started at 165 and my goal is 140. I started in April and although the first month I did lose about 8 lbs, after that it was only 2 lbs a month at the most. I have been stuck at 144 for a couple of months.

I really do think that excersice makes a big difference, and I have gotten lazy about that with summer being over, and also battling the flu. The plan does work, and there are lots of people on here that are proof of that. Look at Dan, Kristen, Tina, Kim, and several others. Some people just lose slower than others.

Maybe you just need to shake things up a bit. Don't eat the same type of foods all the time, maybe try a plateau buster. Keep your body guessing?
I know its frustrating, but if you quit - then what? Thats not going to make you lose it any quicker.

Hang in there, and just know that you are not alone. Several of us have stalled at times.... you just have to find what works for you.

We are all here for you, and feel free to jump in and ask questions at any time.
slim n trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:20 PM   #3  
DixieChick

S/C/G: 175/150/140

Height: 5'7"

oodsie, What plan are you on? I know you have seen all the information in here but that may help us to give you some suggestions that have worked for us. Don't give up now. You just have to find what works for you.
aguerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 224/189/130

Height: 5'5"

Oooodsie, I know exactly how you feel. I still have LAWL weeks left, but they are almost done. I signed up to lose 95 lbs in January and have only lost 30 lbs, despite all my efforts. 30 lbs. in 10 months. Not great at all! I am getting married in May, and bought my dress in a size 16. I am currently a 20. I have no choice but to lose. If I could afford lipo or some sort of surgery I would jump on that bandwagon…but I can’t.

Exercise will help you a lot. Eating properly and taking what you have learned will help keep the weight you have lost off. Losing weight still boils down to expelling more calories than you are taking in. If you have plateaud, you need to either drop your caloric intake or start burning more calories. I have been plateaud since April/May. I tried many times to explain this to my COD, but it went over their heads. I was told repeatedly to wait and see how I do next week…weeks turned into months. Months turned into getting more and more depressed about the issue.

Even if you don’t buy more weeks, I would suggest following LAWL and continue with the support from the group. If you are not going to a COD and don’t have to worry about their comments/criticism, perhaps you can tweak the program to what you think would work. I know that after 10 months on LAWL, I have an idea of how this program could work better for me…

Best of luck! I really do hope you meet your goal, however you get there
Pastrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

oodsie, that doesn't sound like a lot of weight loss. Have you been doing any exercise at all? It might help, but I haven't found that I lose much extra weight by exercise. You can blow huge amounts of exercise with just small indulgences. Really at your weight walking a mile probably doesn't burn much more than 100 calories... so probably somewhere around 30 miles to burn a single pound of fat off. For 12 pounds it would be a whopping 360 miles! and that would be if you did not replace a single calorie by eating anything extra. Anyway, I would add exercise in, and really, going to maintenance and stability is not some long term agreement to stay at exactly that weight... you can still try to lose... If you add in exercise, perhaps you will. After you are in maintenance you don't have to keep a diary anymore, and can go back on weight loss if you so desire... they never need to know... and maybe over the course of the year you can manage to get down to your original goal (or at least closer to it)

Last edited by BarbaraB; 11-05-2007 at 02:50 PM.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 187/171.8/150

Height: 5feet 4inches

Hi
I have lost 15 lbs since June 1st!! So I am part of the slow lower club, too! I am assuming that you are following the program as close as possible, and if so then you must be patient. Remember the less you have to lose the harder it is...and for every pound we lose our bodies have to re-adjust all of its functions... losing fat is not easy nor is it fast...and it should not be. If people lose too fast, they are losing water and muscle NOT fat.
Try to be patient... If you quit now, you may gain all your weight back PLUS a few extra pounds for good luck! TRust me, i have been there...
QueenLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 213/199/145

If the ticker a the bottom of your signature is your BMI and I am reading it correctly to say that you are at 22.2, that is a good healthy weight. Between 20-25 is the recommended range for adults - I think your goal is 20 - that may be too thin for your frame. I obviously don't know you and your situation, but if that BMI is correct, it may not be the diet is not working, but your body won't lose any more weight because you are at a very healthy trim weight. Exercise would help you look more toned, so maybe that is your best bet.
jean2299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:32 AM   #8  

yea jean - i think thats what my body is trying to tell me. i am 5'9, and i am comfortable weighing 150 (although i would prefer to be 140), i am just uncomfortable with the excess flab in some areas. which is why i am thinking that diet alone is not going to take these last 10 lbs off. i am going to try some plateu breakers just to see if that helps.. and maybe decrease my caloric intake a little and see what happens. i have just tried so many variations that i am really thinking my body just doesnt want to budge anymore. we'll see! to answer the earlier questions asked by people, i am on blue currently - and a typical menu for me looks like this:
breakfast - oatmeal or cereal or fruit/yogurt/kashi waffle (mostly oatmeal though)
snack - fruit or bar
lunch - grilled chicken sandwich, subway, some kind of sandwich typically (if eating out ill eat half the bread, making sure its high fiber, at home i have 50 calorie high fiber bread i use)
snack - veggies and dip or fruit or bar
dinner - salad, a lean protein (fish or chicken), a veggie and a starch such as a sweet potato, sometimes a rice or pasta or bread
snack - bar
feel free to offer any suggestions of what you think i should fiddle with!

take off has never worked for me, but i think the next few days i may try my own version and just stick to lean proteins and high fiber starches and i will use the juice instead of eating fruit. i tried that once or twice before and didnt really have any big results but it cant hurt to try once more. i typically walk 3x per week outside but as someone pointed out, a 3 mile walk really isnt going to do much for me.. i think i will substitute walking with going to the gym and trying some resistance training, or a pilates class, or switching up the cardio machines.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:34 AM   #9  

Height: 5'2"

I would also start the day with a protein at breakfast to get your metabolism going.
My suggestion would be to eliminate the starch at dinner by having it earlier in the day. My typical dinner is my remaining protein and my vegetables - 3 of them. My 2 cents is to stick with the fruit rather than the juice. Don't get me wrong, I love juice especially orange juice but you need the actual fruit for its fiber.

I am with Jean though. Your BMI is right where most of us would like to be.

week 44
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 54 lbs.
Original goal of 50 lbs lost – achieved
New goal to lose total of 65 lbs
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:52 AM   #10  

Height: 5'2"

One more thought - you seem to rely on bread starches. I try to incorporate as many non bread starches as I can into my menu. Apparently, my body does not process flour very well or very fast. I would suggest using fiber one into your menu.

week 44
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 54 lbs.
Original goal of 50 lbs lost – achieved
New goal to lose total of 65 lbs
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:27 AM   #11  
DixieChick

Ooodsie:

I am with Lynn on getting the starches in earlier in the day. My COD gave me those instructions and also told me not to save my bar for a late snack. I moved them up and use my fruit as my last snack of the day. This might help.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:55 PM   #12  

oh, when i said juice.. i meant the la weight loss juice, not apple or orange juice. its just something i am going to do for a few days instead of take off. also - what types of non bread starches do you guys typically do? i tend to eat sandwiches for lunch, so that always includes bread. i am not a huge salad eater so its tough for me to find a lunch that isnt a salad or a sandwich! any lunch suggestions that can be done easily and quickly on the road would be much appreciated. (i travel all day for work so i need things that are quick and easy, ie fast food, ugh).
Old 11-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #13  
DixieChick

Ooodsie: I use fiber one as my starch. The fiber is unbelievable and will help with WL also.

As far as lunch and sandwiches. I gave up the sandwiches and just try to incorporate my sandwhich into salad. In other words if I want a Turkey Sandwich put the turkey on lettuce instead of between bread and have a turkey salad. Its basically the same thing without the bread and in a different eating style. You could also use the lettuce to wrap the turkey and have a turkey wrap. Works for other sandwich types too. Tuna, Ham, Etc. Salad has come a long way since we were kids and there are about 8 - 12 different lettuces that you can use. My personal favorite is Sweet Butter. Has a slight sweet taste to it. Don't know if that will help you on the road or not.

Last edited by aguerin; 11-06-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 224/189/130

Height: 5'5"

Amy, that is an awesome idea with the lettuce. I am going to have to give that a try!!

Oooodsie, for starch I use a variety...but my favourite is half a baked potato, corn, oatmeal and fibre one cereal. I actually like to mix fibre one cereal with lite soy milk (I use as a protein but could also be dairy)...I find it kinda sweetens it a bit

Lunch I do a variety of things. I measure out some frozen berries and cottage cheese into a bowl before I leave for work, and cut up some celery sticks or baby carrots. What about making some homemade soup and bringing in a thermos? I have to say that I love my soups, and the season is now here...
Pastrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:47 PM   #15  

i absolutely love soup but am a horrible cook do you have any good recipes you want to share? I would love to try some soup, especially since restaurant/canned soup is not on plan. thanks for the tips everyone. i know i am just discouraged right now and being a grumpy person, i do want to make this work and am going to try to use some of your suggestions to give myself some variety during this standstill.