Old 11-02-2007, 11:42 PM   #1  
Pat is in KY

S/C/G: 283/283/150

Height: 5'6"

Default 3 day meal planning

I am trying to get started on eating the right way without gimmicks. I read Rockin Robin's story and copied down a lot of new veggies to try. It would help me and maybe others out there if Rockin Robin could post a sample 3 day menu just to get some of us started to give us an idea of how to eat. I know how to use Fitday for counting calories....it is putting it together in a healthy eating menu is what I need, ha ha. Sure would appreciate your help, Rockin Robin for all us who have a hard time planning but would love your success!
goincrazyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I can't speak for Robin, but it seems that what worked for her might not be good for everyone. We have different tastes and different needs, and what is "healthy" for some doesn't work at all for others.

I credit 3fc with providing me with TONS of ideas about what kinds of foods to eat -- I had frozen grapes tonight for my after dinner snack, something I'd never heard of before 3fc! I have learned a lot from reading what other people eat on 3fc, but I beg, borrow and steal at random based on what I might like or what might work for me.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:04 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi there. You asked me this question on a different thread. Here's what I answered you at the time:

Originally Posted by goincrazyinky
I want to start tomorrow. I weigh 293 pounds. ROBIN, you lost all your weight, please email me and let me know what you ate for breakfast, lunch and supper usually and I will go by that. I am stuck in this deep rut. I need help, please...please...please.

Hi and welcome. I see this is your very first post here at 3FC. We're sure glad to have you on board.

We certainly have very similar starting weights, so just know and take confidence from the fact that getting down to a healthy weight is 100% doable.

As far as what I ate, well it varied a lot. It's a very individual thing, according to likes and dislikes and other factors as well. Duplicating my meals might not be the way to go for YOU. You need to experiment and find what satisfies you. You'll never see whole wheat bread or pasta or brown rice or peanut butter or beef or cottage cheese or much cheese at all, on my menu. And you will see it on other very, very successful people's menu. It's perfectly healthy food, but it doesn't work for me. So therefore I'm very reluctant to post what I eat for the sole purpose of trying to copy it.

What I basically did and still do is eat protein and fiber at every meal/snack. I eat lots and lots of fish and chicken breast and an enormous amount of vegetables, all different ones. Some of my favorites are cauliflower, green beans, acorn squash, spaghetti squash, butternut squash, grape tomatoes, cucumber, spinach, peppers, zucchini, romaine lettuce, broccoli, mushrooms and on and on and on.

Some breakfast options:

-small bowl of oatmeal and an egg white omlette
-small bowl of oatmeal and blueberries or other berry
-Fiber One Cereal/and or KAshi Go LEan cereal and skim milk
-Yogurt and high fiber cereal
-egg white omlette and lots and lots of sauteed vegetables

A few lunch options:

-Veggie burger and steamed or roasted vegetables
-Salmon and vegetables
-Large salad with tuna or turkey breast or chicken breast

Dinner:

-Chicken breast, sauteed, grilled or roasted with lots and lots of veggies
-Large salad with grilled chicken
-There are dozens and dozens of ways to prepare chicken and vegetable. Different sauces, cooking methods and different vegetables
-Baked fish with lots of vegetables, again lots of different fishes and veggies and methods to choose from.

Snacks:

-An apple
-veggie platter (baby carrots, celery, grape tomatoes, string beans, peppers)
-FF/SF yogurt with Fiber One Cereal mixed in
-egg white omlette and roasted veggies
-Strawberries or raspberries or blue berries
-hard boiled egg whites and a cut up salad
-cucmber salad

I really could go on and on. The list is literally endless. I hate to sound like a broken record, but you really must experiment and find foods that you think are absolutely yummy, so that you will look forward to and enjoy your meals, therefore making it easier to stay on track. Take a look around. We've got a whole recipe section here at 3FC. Look at the different "diet" plans we've got. Check out the Whole Foods Lifestyle Section. Try and get some ideas. Try modifying what you already make, using less additives. I'd also love for you to check out the 100lb club forum as well. You may very well benefit from seeing a nutritionist or dietican. They can help you immensely.

This is an incredibly rewarding and worthwhile journey you're about to embark on. I look forward to reading your "goal" story one day in the future. GOOD LUCK!!!

I hope that helps get you started.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:07 AM   #4  
it's always something

I agree with Heather There are thousands of members here with thousands of meal plans. Please don't feel that you have to copy the menu of any specific member in order to be successful. What's important is that you make better choices and create a menu that works for you. As Heather pointed out, Robin's eating habits may not be right for everyone. I understand you have been frustrated lately and are searching for that one specific plan that works. You'll be happy to know that they all work as long as you stick to it The trick is finding something that fits in with your personal tastes and lifestyle, because that is the one you will stick with. Your personal tastes and lifestyle are probably very different from Robin's, which is why copying her unique menu isn't the best thing to do. Robin did a lot of tweaking as she went along as she found foods she liked, and discovered the amounts of foods she felt satisfied with, and added exercise that she was comfortable with. That's what you need to do

If you want a good guide for getting started with balanced nutrition, www.mypyramid.gov is a great place to start. You'll learn about the importance of eating vegetables of different colors, limiting certain types of meats and fats, and even get a custom diet plan based on your age and fitness level. It's really a great site, and was created by dietitians and other health professionals

If you want something preplanned out for you, you might try something like South Beach. The book includes menu plans and recipes. Weight Watchers also provides sample menus created by trained professionals, and is a fantastic diet
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I think you have received some great advice. Overall, losing weight is about calories. Some people, like Robin, count calories while others use methods to estimate calories. I myself find estimating calories is a lot easier although my weight loss isn't always linear

The best thing is try to find something that works for you.

My one recommendation is look at high fiber/low calorie foods. They do help fill you up. Vegetables are a great source of high fiber/low calorie foods.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:18 AM   #6  
Pat is in KY

S/C/G: 283/283/150

Default Thank you

Thank all of you for the wonderful information you have offered. I am wondering is it better to eat just 3 meals a day and train yourself to not eat except at those meals no matter what, or do you think it is better to eat snacks between the meals, and if so, how many snacks do you all eat?
goincrazyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:17 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I eat 5-6 minimeals per day and I couldn't imagine eating 3 meals per day. Lunch is probably my biggest meal but still all of my meals aren't as big as a normal meal.

All in all, it comes down to what works for you. You can eat the same amount of calories in 5-6 minimeals as you do in 3 bigger meals but what do you feel works for you?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I am a grazer and eating just 3 meals a day would be a disaster for me. It would never work. I eat at least 6 times a day. Every 2 - 2 1/2 hours or so. I hate that hungry feeling and do my best to avoid it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I eat seven times a day. Breakfast, a snack, lunch, a snack, and then another snack before the gym, dinner, and an after-dinner snack/dessert. Eating only three times a day leaves me absolutely starving, and then I overeat at meals.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:30 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

For me, it simply varies depending on my schedule. Some days I eat 3 small meals plus a couple snacks...other days I might eat 2 larger meals and 1 snack. It depends on my schedule, my personal hunger levels, and what is going on that day. My calories, however, are pretty much in the same general range each day.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote