Old 10-30-2007, 01:37 PM   #1  
That's me on the left

S/C/G: 295/221.5/195

Unhappy Thoughts and prayers please (long post)

Friends,
My mother-in-law, Debbie Cox, has been fighting a genetic disease for the past 10 or so years. It is, in short, a protein deficiency that causes her blood to clot too easily. In spite of being on the maximum dosage of the most powerful blood thinners, she has continued to clot over the years. There is no cure for this disease. I don't even know that it has an actual name. Treatment has been minimally successful over the years. She has undergone several surgeries to implant, remove, and reimplant a neurostimulator on her spine to help control her pain. In late 2000, she suffered a mini-stroke and lost a great deal of her memory. She didn't even remember her husband, Doug, who has been by her since this started. She has lost her right leg to blood clots and, two years ago, nearly lost both arms. She has also been on just about every pain medicine out there. Nothing seems to help. Yet to talk to her, you would hardly know. She is one of the strongest, bravest women I know. She has far surpassed the doctors' prognosis and lived to see two grandsons.

She has been in the hospital countless times in the eight years that Steve and I have been together. And Saturday she was admitted again with blood clots in her leg. For years we have prayed for a cure. But it has become clear to us that that is not God's will. Now, I write you, my friends, praying for strength; strength for my father-in-law, my husband, my husband's family, and, most importantly, for my mother-in-law. After the innumerable procedures to try to break up the clots in the past, her veins have weakened over time. Her body is tiring of fighting.

Today, we found out that there is nothing more the doctors can do for her leg. They will continue to try to break up the current clots, try to make her comfortable with pain medication, and probably send her home in a couple days. They think that's all she has left. So it seems that it is God's will that this woman, who has fought so bravely for so long, will be pain free soon. And I am glad for that. But that doesn't make it any easier for those of us here. So I am asking for your prayers for our family. Please pray that, when the time comes, we grieve as we need to but we remember that her chains will be gone and she will be free. ...THY WILL BE DONE ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN.

Marie
mgresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:41 PM   #2  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

My thoughts and prayers are definetly with you and your family. Keep us updated on whats going on.
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #3  
LAWL Salt Police

Same goes for me and Liz... Our thoughts are with you.. Stay strong!
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:55 PM   #4  
New mommy again :-)

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I pray that your mother-in-law finds peace and that you and your entire family feel peace in your hearts and find the strength you all need to get through this.
emmysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:21 PM   #5  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

Marie- your family is in my thoughts. I hope that you all are able to find the strength that you need in the weeks to come. Your MIL sounds like an amazing woman.
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:27 PM   #6  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Marie - what a special daughter in law you are to share this post. My thoughts and prayers are with your family during this difficult time. Debbie sounds like a remarkable lady who had a strong will to live...perhaps to lay her eyes on her remarkable grandsons. Be strong and take care of yourself.
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:48 PM   #7  
Carrie

S/C/G: 196/174.2/150

Height: 5' 8"

Marie - my thoughts are with your family and I hope that you all find the strength you need to carry you through this time.
healthy2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:03 PM   #8  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Marie.......I was so touched and comforted by your post. You are an amazing daughter in law. They are lucky to have you. I will be thinking of you and your family
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:11 PM   #9  
Laurie

Height: 5'8"

Marie - I am praying that you and your family have the strength to get through this. You are truly a special person.
chiquita623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #10  
Purple with Lites

Height: 5'5"

Thank you for sharing this very private struggle with us and I hope you can take comfort and gain strength in knowing that she will be free of pain and suffering once it's her time to go. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.
AvidKayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:21 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 205/162/130

Marie- I am so sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. I am sorry if you have no idea who I am...I have been a "lurker" for way too long. Anyway, your post really caught my eye. My sister and I (and the rest of the females in my family) have a protein defenciency/blod clotting disease called Factor Five (or V in the medical field) Leiden...pronounced Li-den. Anyway, while my sister was pregnant with my second niece 9 years ago, she started having severe pains in her abdomen...long story short, she was found to have dozens of blood clots in her abdomen. She almost died in the months following little Hailies' birth. She lost her spleen, part of her liver, and she as well is on Cumudin (sp) for the rest of her life. If the Lord had not sent the exact doctor to her at the exact appointed time that He did, my sister would not be here today. I tell you this to say...God is good, and never gives anyone more than they can handle. Your mother-in-law is a beautiful women, and so very blessed to have you as her daughter-in-law. I have already said a prayer for you, Debbie, and the whole situation. May God in His infinite grace keep you all in His arms....
Shannon
Plainsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:22 PM   #12  

Marie,
I know how hard this is on you, your DH, your FIL and other family members. My thoughts are with you and your family. Please take care and thank goodness your MIL has such a wonderful, caring DIL.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:43 PM   #13  
Amy- Red w/Lites

S/C/G: 286/ticker/199

Height: 5'9

Marie-your words about your mother in law were so touching. I will be thinking about and praying for your family and hope that you are able to make it through this difficult time in peace.

Please let us know if you have any updates or need to get anything off of your chest. We are here for you.
amylou7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:10 PM   #14  

may you make every day a memory.....remember to tell your loved ones how special they are to you..........even if you think they already know it.... when you have sorrow in your heart....make it warm with the memories and knowledge that she knew how much you cared for her and that she will be in peace. I recently lost both of my parents....and my heart feels like it has a hole in it most days.....and then i think of all those cherished moments....and it begins to swell....bittersweetly....and the hole is not as painful...... and remember too....you dont always "have to be strong"...let yourself feel what you feel.....and then tell yourself that it is ok to heal....that it is ok to begin to find your inner peace......... prayers to you and your loved ones....big hug.
letthethingirlout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:14 PM   #15  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

My prayers are ascending for you and your family! May you find comfort and strength and feel God's love through those around you!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote