View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 06:58 PM   #38
mandalinn82
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/191/175

Height: 5' 8"

Glory - recipe? Its the "other white meat" - you can do SO much with it. I use it in so many ways. It is great with a spice rub or marinade and simply baked, then sliced. I butterfly it, pound it flat, and lay the top with spices, roasted red pepper, basil or spinach leaves, and maybe a few laughing cow wedges, then roll it up and roast. I slice it into long strips and use it in stirfries. Once I baked it with simple spices and quickly cooked up some apple slices with cinnamon, a small amount of brown sugar, and a pinch of salt in a saucepan, creating a great "pork chops and applesauce" type dish. I've slowly simmered it in a pan of chicken broth until it is falling apart, then shredded and mixed with bbq sauce - serve in a pita for tasty bbq pork sandwiches.

I've got a vision in my head of glazing with a sauce of pumpkin butter, chicken broth, and maybe some fresh sage and a hint of cayenne. That same "pork and applesauce" type sweetness with a little difference.
Pork tenderloin, with the fat trimmed, is comparable nutritionally to chicken:

3 oz. of chicken (skinless breast, cooked and trimmed) *

140 calories; 25g protein; 3.1g fat (0.9g saturated, 0.7g polyunsaturated); 73g cholesterol

3 oz. of pork (tenderloin, cooked and trimmed) *

139 calories; 24g protein; 4.1g fat (1.4g saturated, 0.49 polyunsaturated); 67g cholesterol

Edited to add: Just be sure not to cook it to death! It is so lean, it does dry out, so cook until just firm and opaque in the center - just like a chicken breast roasted for 45 min will be dry, so will a pork tenderloin. And let it rest before carving.

No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch!

Maintained Oct 2007-Sept 2011, then got pregnant. Our baby boy was born in May, 2012...now to lose the baby weight!!

Last edited by mandalinn82 : 10-30-2007 at 07:03 PM.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote