UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 04:02 AM   #1  

Smile Low Fat Recipes

ok im made a thread for it ........im sitting waiting with finger poised on printer button
Old 04-18-2002, 06:14 AM   #2  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

OK - I've got HUNDREDS... (cooking is my main hobby) - just give me some idea of what sort of recipes you would like??????
Old 04-18-2002, 06:23 AM   #3  

Any vegetarian recipes please. :sheep:

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2002, 06:29 AM   #4  
Consistency + Balance

Do you eat beans and textured soya protein? (Just so that I know what to look up??)
Old 04-18-2002, 06:52 AM   #5  

Yes! Thank you.
Old 04-18-2002, 11:25 AM   #6  
Pending Email Confirmation

OOOOOh plenty of meat, please!!!
Old 04-19-2002, 04:35 AM   #7  
Consistency + Balance

OK - I thought I would do one recipe a day but I'll start with two today - one veggie and one meat.

The first is called Masala Chana and is a chick pea main course dish. This recipe is really lovely (one of my favourites) serves 4 and contains 283 cals per portion. It freezes very well.

454g size tin chickpeas
2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
4fl oz boiling water
1 tablespoon oil
half tsp cumin seeds
1 finely chopped onion
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 inch piece root ginger, grated
1 green chilli, finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
quarter tsp ground turmeric
half tsp salt
can of chopped tomatoes
half tsp garam masala

1. Heat the oil in a large heavybased saucepan and fry the cumin seeds for 2 mins until they splutter. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli and fry for 5 mins.

2. Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric and salt and fry for 3-4 mins. Add the chopped tomatoes, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 mins.

3. Drain the chickpeas and add to the tomato mixture together with the garam masala and the lemon or lime juice. Cover and simmer gently for about 15 mins, check the seasoning and serve with plain boiled rice.

The second one is called Spicy Masala Chicken and contains 223 cals per portion. You could substitute small lean lamb chops instead of the chicken - it tastes just as good. Serve hot with a vegetable curry and rice or cold with a salad and yellow rice or a baked potato. This is really nice done with drumsticks for a buffet or can be cooked on a BBQ.

Serves 6

12 Chicken thighs
6 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 tsp crushed dried red chillies
1 tsp salt
2 tsp soft brown sugar
2 tablespoons clear honey
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander (could use parsley)
1 green chilli finely chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1. In a large bowl mix together the lemon juice, ginger, garlic, crushed dried red chillies, salt, sugar and honey.

2. Skin the chicken thighs and prick them with a form, rinse them and pat dry with kitchen towel and put in to the lemon juice mixture and coat well. Leave for minimum of 45 mins (can leave overnight).

3. Preheat the grill to medium. Add the fresh coriander and chopped green chilli to the chicken mixture and place them in a flameproof dish.

4. Pour any remaining marinade over the chicken and brush with the oil. Grill the marinated chicken thighs for 20-25 mins, turning and occasionally basting with the marinade until cooked through and browned.
Old 04-19-2002, 04:59 AM   #8  

Thanks Sarah! That must have taken ages to type out. I am definitely going to try the chick pea recipe, I have been so bored with my food lately.
Old 04-19-2002, 05:11 AM   #9  

thanks sarah ...........im on my way to safeways now both of those recipes seem delish, and its something i can feed my whole tribe
Old 04-19-2002, 05:44 AM   #10  
Consistency + Balance

I'll do another one on Monday - or has anyone else got a fav. recipe they want to share?
Old 04-19-2002, 07:33 AM   #11  

Angry

Yum, Yum

Was going to do a chicken curry tonight but have changed my mind and will try your chicken dish sarah. Will try the other next week as that sounds delicious as well!!

Tracy
Old 04-22-2002, 02:41 AM   #12  
Consistency + Balance

I thought I'd do two today - the first one is a very easy potato recipe I use with just about everything... it goes very well with plain grilled chicken or any kind of meat - and it serves really nicely as a side dish with any kind of curry. (We had it yesterday with the chicken recipe I posted on Friday and we had a large salad with it - we had the whole recipe between the two of us. oink, oink!)

Balti Potatoes (Serves 4 - 110 cals a portion)

1 tablespoon oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp crushed dried red chillies
half tsp of either onion, mustard or fenugreek seeds (or preferably a mixture of all three)
half tsp fennel seeds
3 garlic cloves, sliced
1 inch piece root ginger, grated (or a heaped teaspoonful out of one of those pots of the pre-prepared kind)
2 sliced onions
6 large size new potatoes scrubbed and sliced about quarter inch - leaving the peel on.

1. Heat the oil in a frying pan, allow to cool slightly then add the spices, chilli, garlic and ginger. Fry for 1 minute.

2. Add the onions and fry for a further 5 mins until golden brown.

3. Add the potatoes and mix well. Cover the pan tightly with lid and/or foil and cook over a very low heat for 10-112 mins until potatoes are tender. Serve.

For those of us with a sweet tooth - or as a very special treat...

Tiramasu (Serves 8 - 76 cals per portion)

2 heaped teaspoons coffee granules/powder (decaff is OK)
2 teaspoons brandy
1 packet sponge fingers
1 sachet Bird's Sugar-free Dream Topping
quarter pint skimmed milk
12 oz low-fat fromage frais
powdered drinking chocolate to decorate

Mix the coffee with the brandy and make up to quarter pint with hot water. Allow to cool. Reserve half the sponge fingers and dip the remainder in the brandy/coffee mixture then arrange in the bottom of a serving dish to form a layer.

Make up the Dream Topping with the milk and mix in the fromage fais. Spoon half the mixture over the sponge fingers in the dish. Dip the reserved sponge fingers in the remaining coffee/brandy mixture and place as a third layer in the dish. Top with the remaining fromage frais/Dream Topping combination.

Just before serving sprinkle a little powdered drinking chocolate on top. (Or - add in extra cals for this - crumble a Flake over the top).
Old 04-24-2002, 08:58 AM   #13  

sarah the potatoes went down great even with the kids.......DH said if all diet food was like that he'd maybe consider losing his extra lbs
Old 05-30-2002, 04:16 PM   #14  

FISH PIE WITH CHEESEY CRUST per serving FAT 4.7g Calories:282
serves 4
1/2pt skimmed milk
350g white skinlees fish fillets, diced
1 tbsp corn flour
1 fish stock
115g peas
8 portions laughing cow light
125g wholemeal breadcrumbs
salt/pepper
1/ Preheat oven to 180c/350f/gas4 pour the milk into frying pan and add the fish simmer for 5 mins remove the just cooked fish from the pan with a slotted spoon and place in oven dish

2/ crumble the stock cube into the milk and stir well mix the cornflour with enough water to form a paste and stir into the milk cook for 5 mins until thickened

3/ scatter the peas over the fish and pour the sauce over cut the laughing cow light into thin wedges place over the fish mixture scatter the breadcrumbs over cook for 15-20 mins

courtesy of laughing cow itself
Old 05-30-2002, 04:20 PM   #15  

Laughing cow? Now dont be so hard on yourself
Closed Thread