Old 10-24-2007, 12:58 PM   #1  

Height: 5'2"

Default Trick or Treat Treats

One week to Halloween and counting. I just read Felicia's post about her kids' costumes and it got me thinking about Halloween treats. So I am asking the question - what are you giving out this year for Halloween treats? I have not bought anything yet. Last year, I was not home on Halloween and I let DH buy whatever he wanted and he, of course, chose his favorites - snickers and 3 musketeers bars. He does not have to lose weight so he can have that stuff. I wish there was something healthly and safe to give out. What great ideas do you have?

Also, we all need our own strategies for getting through this candy filled holiday.

week 42
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 51.5 lbs.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:03 PM   #2  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

I can't stand sour candy - so sweet tarts it is. Yuk. No chance of me getting into those.
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #3  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Sorry to but in, but I think giving out halloween stickers (I got a pack of 20 sheets from American geetings for $2) or fancy pencils or those small bouncy balls are good alternatives to candy.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:23 PM   #4  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

I bought mini boxes of raisins and pretzel packs and single red licorice strips, just incase I want to have a treat myself ya know. Of course I bought some good chocolate bars and such too, so the kiddies aren't totally deprived or they probably won't come back next year!
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #5  
LAWL Salt Police

Toothbrushes and floss!! I kid you not, one of my dentist's assistants lived up the street from me when I was a kid and that's what she handed out!

There's always sugar free candies.. Kind of boring if you're a kid, but at least you won't be killing yourself if you dip into the candy bowl a few times..
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #6  
New mommy again :-)

Height: 5'2"

I was just doing a search for some healthy halloween recipes because we're having a party here at work...I came across this article on healthy alternatives for trick or treaters...

http://www.thatsfit.com/2006/10/10/h...lloween-candy/
emmysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:03 PM   #7  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Oh, you guys........all the neighborhood kids are going to laugh at you and talk about you if you try to give them healthy treats. I can see the sticker, pencils, or bouncy balls........but not healthy snacks. That is what trick o treating is all about. I used to wait all year for halloween when I was a kid. It was one of our favorite holidays. I like Kim's idea of getting a candy you don't really like. I hate sour too......so I may just have to take your idea and run with it. However......

I am not sure how I am going to get through this candy fest. I LOVE candy. Not like I love cake......but real real close. I was thinking I would just take the day off of LAWL, but that never works out well for me. Often times a day turns into a month for me. I am considering letting myself have a certain amount of treats that day........but not sure. When you only eat 1 or 2 pieces of candy......they are soooo delish........and that really is my main goal......to learn how to eat healhy and in MODERATION. I just don't know............
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #8  
Simply Filling Technique

Last year even before I was dieting I gave out candy I didn't like. They were sour gum balls that looked like eye balls! I still have some in a cup from last Halloween.

Yes, I looked forward to Halloween too but my mom used to take my sister's and mine bag, dump it into a huge bowl and put it at the very top of the cupboard and then give us a piece of candy at a time! Now, who was the "wicked witch" in that scenario? Just kidding, Mom, but seriously a lot of very health-conscious parents are relieved when they get something besides candy. They too feel "pressured" to comply with their kid's demands as well.

I have decided though to wait until the day before Halloween before buying my candy. I like the idea of boxes of raisins but I have too many kids come to the door. I would be broke trying to give them each a mini box of raisins.

In the mean time, I will keep it out of my mouth and in their bag. I would rather enjoy seeing how happy they are than how unhappy I will be if I gain weight. After all, whose the kids here?
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

Well, This being my second Halloween since joing LAWL, I'm going to do what I did last year, and that is give out the regular sized bags of M&M's. Last year I told myself I could have one bag, and I actually stuck with that. I am sure I can do it again this year (since after 1 bag I feel kind of sick these days). We actually still have some left from last year somewhere (not sure where, as my DH hid them). So that is my plan. The kids get so excited when they see the "big" bags of M&M's. There is a dentist who used to give out toothbrushes in our neighborhood too, not popular at all with the kids.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:11 PM   #10  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

I am not sure if I am a whimp, or a super cool mom.....but I let my kids have their bag of candy to do with it what they please. They all have their halloween candy rituals. Some of them eat it all within a few days, and some of them make it last. I find it very interesting......and yummy.

I like Barbara's idea too. I am thinking along the same lines, but I won't be doing big bags of anything. We get a bajillion trick o treaters. Here in St. Louis, many people do give full size candybars to kids who do a trick or tell a joke. It is a really fun time for the kids, and the grown-ups.
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:08 PM   #11  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

My parents used to give out individual sized bags of potato chips. Not sure why.... I think that they thought it was easier somehow. Our living room looked like the checkout counter at a 7-11.

Our numbers vary greatly from year to year, so I never know what to expect. My SIL gets slammed every year and goes through somewhere around 10 bags of candy! Of course, she's seriously OCD and has an official count of the # of kids from 1988 when she moved into her house. (sadly, I am not kidding. She also has the weather that day listed)
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:19 PM   #12  
Laurie

Heck - I haven't even bought anything yet. I'm afraid if it's in the house it will call my name and of course, I'll have to go see what it wants and the next thing you know it will be on my hips!!!!
chiquita623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:57 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Laurie, I also have not bought any candy yet. I suppose it is getting to be time. I need to put up the decorations too. My neighbors have had their house decorated for over a month! I'm looking forward to my one bag of candy and I'm trying to focus on the joy of the one piece instead of letting myself thing negatively that there is no way I can resist the rest... which is not true. I want to be thin and any more than one bag will make me sick and fat and not happy and thin.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #14  
Laurie

No decorations up at my house either Barbara. Guess I should do that tomorrow or Sunday. I'll hide the candy in the closet until I get home on Wednesday and then like you, may treat myself to one piece. It helps that my house is a split foyer so I have to go up and down stairs to get to the front door. Think I'll put the candy down there so it's nowhere near me!!
chiquita623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:14 PM   #15  
LAWL,nursing,red,no lites

S/C/G: 168/143/135 pre baby stats

Height: 5'1"

When I think about Halloween, I think about candy so that’s what we give out at our house. We let DS do whatever he wishes with all the candy he gets. He usually picks at it for two days then I take most of it to work, throw it on the break table and let my coworker devour it. I work w/ all men and few college guys and the college guys never know where their next meal is coming from so whenever there’s FREE food they jump on it!

I just purchased most of our candy and treats. This year I bought 45 bags of the good candy like M&M’s and snickers, this is approximately 900 fun sized pieces. I bought 40 juice boxes that I’ll bag up with several pieces of candy and a homemade popcorn ball and I’ll give these to the kids I know and like. I bought 40 individual bags of animal crackers to give to the little ones that can’t have candy. Then I bought a bag of individual balloons and little tootsie rolls for the kids I don’t like, aren’t dressed in a costume or are too big to be out trick-or-treating. I’m sorry but I can’t stand it when a 15 or 16 year old kid comes to my door, pushes his or her way to the front of the line (yes we have a long line), and stands there with their pillowcase open and can’t even say trick-or-treat! Those are the ones that get a tiny tootsie roll or single balloon. You should see their face when I give them a single, tiny tootsie roll. They just stand there waiting for me to put another piece of candy in their bag. Not going to happen!

My trick to refraining from eating the candy is, either I buy stuff I don’t like or if the bag of candy isn’t open, I wouldn’t eat it. Why this works, I’m not sure.

This year DS, DH, and I are dressing up as Viking warriors and DD is going to be a pumpkin. Usually we would all dress as a “theme” but I figured this is DD first year and she should be something cute. DS thought we should all dress as Star Wars characters and DD should be Yoda. Ah…maybe next year. We compromised and came up w/ Viking warriors. If DS gets to have a sword and shield he’s happy.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we get a good turn out because DS is so excited!

Barbara – We’re like your neighbors, we’ve had decorations up for over a month!
dawn78 is offline   Reply With Quote