Old 09-29-2007, 07:51 PM   #1  
GmaTo8

Question Which foods help you stay OP?

This is for anyone reading it, not just the Jaded Ladies.

There are some foods that really help me stay OP, such as tomatoes, green beans, actually all "free" veggies, multigrain bread, Laughing Cow cheese wedges, turkey chili, cottage cheese, fruits, and oatmeal. These foods either give me something healthy to munch, help fill me up, are used as comfort foods, or all of the above, lol.

What are some of your favorites?
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:34 PM   #2  
Not Giving Up

Height: 5'9"

I find that a nice big bowl of oatmeal (slow cooked old fashioned kind) with a little honey and cinnamon in it for breakfast really keeps me on track. then I do not snack all day. No breakfast = snacking all day.
luckycharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:46 PM   #3  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

I have to say the little WW snack cakes really help me stick with the way I want to eat. The chocolate ones are real real chocolaty and only 3 grams of fat. Keep me from wanting to eat more of a snack than I really need.

I am so tickled about such a big weight loss at one time. 4lbs in 2 weeks. That is a lot for me. Usually seeing only 1lb per week. 19 weeks 22lbs

I love oatmeal. As soon as the weather turns cold I go from grape nuts to oatmeal.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 09-29-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:01 PM   #4  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckycharm View Post
I find that a nice big bowl of oatmeal (slow cooked old fashioned kind) with a little honey and cinnamon in it for breakfast really keeps me on track. then I do not snack all day. No breakfast = snacking all day.
I totally agree. Oatmeal is filling and keeps you on track.
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:09 PM   #5  

Height: 5'1"

Roasted veggies.

I tend to fill up on those during meals rather than anything else. My favorite is roasted asparagus or brussel sprouts.

I've also found that dried cranberries (craisens) are a sweet tart treat that I enjoy or almonds.

But I have to totally agree w/Kathy.....

Breakfast is a must, otherwise....the end of the day for me calls for bingeing.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:37 PM   #6  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Bananas and water...

Also, cottage cheese, crackers, pancakes, cantaloupe...I have been keeping fruit on hand in case I feel the urge to snack.

WTG Rennie on the loss!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:19 PM   #7  
I work with germs!!

Height: 5'2"

I'd be lost without my 100 cal snacks. Most amount to 2 pts on WW. We eat alot of ice cream so for portion control I eat the WW frozen ice creams and desserts. I also like to grill several chicken breast and cut them up for grilled chicken salads. DH and I take those salads at least 2-4 times a week. Just plain ol' packing my lunch helps to keep me on track. I keep my WW pts slider and a tracker in my lunch box. Trying to keep everything lower fat, light, whole wheat etc. We also keep a ton a fruit around. Splenda is in the sugar bowl. Just tonight the menu was whole wheat penne pasta with light ragu sauce mixed with ground turkey, sprinkled with light mozz and fresh mushrooms.
sz2atheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I think mostly fruit and some veggies help me stay OP. I think I could almost be fruitatarian if there is such a thing. I have always loved salads, but I really do enjoy fruit. WW pushes having at least 5 fruits and veggies a day and I find that so easy and they are usually 0 - 1 point per serving which is really great. I do use WW 1 pt desserts, but I don't always have to use it as I find that the fruit often satisfies the sweet tooth.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:59 AM   #9  
Rapid Cart-wheels

S/C/G: 213/200/180

Height: 5'8

I'm new at all this but.....
I have always loved veggies. Raw is my favorite but I like steamed, cooked, baked, whatever.
I like fruit but don't have much around. Otherwise I go right through it.

I really like cottage cheese, & pretty much all cheeses but I have heard they are not good for people watching their weight/calorie intake/etc ?!

I don't like breakfast but I tend to need it to keep things straight thru out day, like you guys said.

My hubby says to eat 5 small meals a day instead of 3 regular ones. Gets metabolism up & helps alot.
So far he is right on.

Any advice about eatting & snacks would be great.

I can't do WW, to expensive and to far away (in another town).
kelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:59 PM   #10  
GmaTo8

Lots of good ideas from you ladies!

Kelton, I eat cottage cheese almost everyday as an afternoon snack, with some fruit on top. Great protein, and it holds me over until dinner. I do WW at home, since when I was first serious about WW, I was the caretaker for my MIL who had Alzheimer's disease, and I couldn't get away when the meetings were held. I bought my slider and info at eBay, and that's what I'm using this time, too. I like that WW is so flexible. But each person has to find their own groove.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:48 PM   #11  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

The WW chocolate muffins are a godsend when I' really craving a chocolate snack.
Also like Fiber One or South Beach bars if I can't stop for lunch at work.
I also like oatmeal in the AM but I use Quaker Oat Bran hot cereal instead of the whole oat kind. I use Splenda, cinnamon & light vanilla soy milk on it. Yum!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:02 PM   #12  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

1) sauteed mushrooms and onions
2) all free veggies; green beans; tomatoes; coleslaw
3) whole grain breads
4) large flake oatmeal w/added bran + natural cream of wheat
5) whole wheat crackers and cheese
6) fruits like pears, apples, bananas (all)
7) spit bbq chicken (skin removed)
8) diet soda (tab) and sugar sub
9) low-cal skim milk puddings or lite apple crisp
10) tea

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 11-15-2007 at 10:04 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #13  
mdl
whole foods bakery queen

-frozen fruit (with no sugar), can defrost in microwave or let thaw or run under hot water, can mix with a lo cal yogurt or sprinkle some cereal on it
-lime pops from trader joes or whole foods (60 cal each), have sugar but are big
-oatmeal mixed with a hershey kiss if you want a chocolate fix. it melts in
-unflavored chocolate almond milk, also from TJ or WF, lo cal and can use it a lot in different recipes and smoothies, filling taste to me at least
-baby carrots
-any and all fruits and veggies basically
-also google chocolate omelette recipe and use egg whites instead, Pam spray, some cocoa, its good times

mdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:33 AM   #14  
GmaTo8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post
oatmeal mixed with a hershey kiss if you want a chocolate fix. it melts in
I've done this with cocoa powder, for a chocolate pudding effect. The Kiss sounds better, but I can't be trusted with them in the house.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I originally posted mostly fruits and veggies, but I have noticed recently since started WFL/IE that when I have my breakfast of oatmeal with fruit and yogurt that I stay OP easier. I learned to eat the oatmeal this way when on WW Flex Plan and it evidently is one I need to keep.

Jane - I'll have to try it with cocoa powder sometime for a change. I also like it with PB and some times add cinnamon with the fruit and yogurt when I can remember it. Cinnamon is good for warding off high blood sugar so I've heard. Not diabetic any more and don't want to be. That oatmeal is supposed to be good for that as well as keeping cholestrol down. Never had a problem with that and don't want it either.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote