Old 10-22-2007, 11:56 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Apple tart

This recipe comes from the World's Healthiest foods (www.whfoods.com) website. It sounds good and may be what I make for Thanksgiving dessert.

Apple Tart

This is not your normal apple tart. The healthy date, nut crust allows you to indulge without guilt or compromising flavor. It takes no time to prepare, and will please and satisfy anyone who loves apple pie.

Prep and Cook Time: 30 minutes, chilling time: about 1 hour

Ingredients:

* 2½ cups walnuts
* 1½ cups dates
* 3 green apples, such as Granny Smith
* juice of 1 lemon in 2 cups water
* ¼ tsp cinnamon
* 1/8 tsp allspice
* 1/8 tsp ground clove
* 2 TBS honey
* ½ cup apple juice
* ¼ cup raisins

Directions:

1. Combine walnuts and dates in food processor. Make sure you remove pits if dates have them and cut off end where stem was. Process until well mixed and ground, but not smooth. About 40 seconds. It should be a coarse texture when done. Press evenly into a 9 inch tart pan. Set in refrigerator while making the filling.
2. Slice apples by cutting into quarters. Cut out core and slice crosswise in ¼ inch thick slices. Put into lemon water while you finish cutting apples. Drain well in colander when done.
3. Place apples in a large skillet with rest of the ingredients and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently on medium heat.
4. Remove apples with a slotted spoon from hot pan to a bowl and cool completely.
5. Reduce liquid to about half the volume and cool separately.
6. Spread apples evenly over crust. Brush syrup over apples. Can be served right away or will keep in refrigerator until needed. Keep tart covered in refrigerator so it doesn't pick up moisture. Top with a little vanilla yogurt if desired.
Serves 8
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #2  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Nice. I wonder if it would work without the honey. Except that the honey is sticky so might be useful for the texture. But I like the idea of trying it without any added sweetener. It seems like the apples/dates/raisins would be sweet enough.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:07 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think if I try it, I will definitely do without the honey. The honey doesn't seem to be needed, just adding sweetness. I'd probably do without the raisins and probably even apple juice, using water instead or applesauce?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:10 PM   #4  
but you can call me Sarah

S/C/G: 165/185/135

Height: 5'2

This sounds great! My mom put me in charge of a second (like 4 people need a second) dessert for Thanksgiving, and I think this is just the ticket!
wifey bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote