General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-18-2007, 08:59 AM   #1  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Ugh Strep throat

My son was diagnosed with Strep Throat last week. He has been on antibiotics, but this morning he still felt icky. I also noticed my throat was hurting yesterday, my energy was next to none and my stomach felt a little queazy.

I figured I'd take the day off of work with my son and relax.

Todd and I have a hotel booked for tomorrow and saturday night and we can't cancel it (we had two rooms booked and had to cancel one room last night because our friends couldn't make it...so we got dinged with cancellation fees because it was less than 72 hours notice).

So I want to try and get better before tomorrow.

Going to the doctor today to see if he can get me onto antibiotics asap - even if he can't see strep in the throat, I'd rather take the antibiotics. Consequinces be darned.

Does anyone have any good home remedy ideas? (Other than the cayenne pepper one I see online all the time, tried it last time I had strep, and it did nothing but gave me lava poop!)
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Honey and chamomile tea. Also, try this type of tea called "throat coat" - it will alleviate the symptoms.Another thing you can try is mixing a teaspoon of chilli powder with a 1/4 cup of ACV, then dilute the mixture with 1/2 cup of warm water and gargle 1/2 of it. Try some lemon juice and salt in water and gargle that as well. I've never had strep, but I've had tonsilitus and I've heard the sensations are very similar.

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 10-18-2007 at 09:07 AM.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:08 AM   #3  
I'm a Loser ;)

Thanks!

I know it's not exactly the same, but I've heard that it has very similar properties.

I had my tonsils removed when I was 5... I had difficulty breathing when I slept (even if I was healthy).
Old 10-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Eeeeek, my dad got his tonsils removed as a kid, and when I got tonsilitus, I thought I would automatically need mine removed (so I freaked out!), until I found out that in modern times, people only get their tonsils removed if it's absolutely necessary

And you're welcome - I hope the remedies work and that you feel better soon!
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:14 AM   #5  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I hope you're feeling better. I'm sure the Dr. will put you on antiboitics just to be sure.

I've had a sore throat for a few days now and I'm hoping that it's not going to be strep. I've only had strep once in my life, I lost 15 pounds in a week because I was basically living on ice water and popsicles.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:26 AM   #6  
I'm a Loser ;)

The doctor thinks it was strep and put me on antibiotics right away. Because it didn't look too horrible, he said that it should clear up before it gets worse (it was only red when he looked).

I hope so - cause were still going to Banff!! Lol

I did lose the 2 lbs I gained in water weight that I've been fighting to lose for a few days now LOL.