Old 10-15-2007, 08:29 PM   #1  
SkinnyMini-to-Be :)

S/C/G: 200/check the ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Question SlimDown Replacements?

I am trying my best to get back on track, but need some breakfast ideas. The counselor at COD suggested SlimDowns, but don't want to pay the COD price. Has anyone found a replacement that seems to work as well, or has around the same contents? Thanks so much for the help! I really need to get back in the swing of things before I start gaining back what I've lost..
EmilyLashea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:22 PM   #2  
Purple with Lites

Height: 5'5"

Hi Emily, There is some information about Slim Down replacements in the Newbies thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70537

I use a powder mix called Wellements Pro Rated. 2 scoops is equal in calories to a Slimdown, but the protein is much higher so I usually limit to 1.5 scoops.

You can do it!
AvidKayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #3  

I use the Slim Fast High Protein drink. It tastes really good and is comparable in all areas to the Slim Fast -- also, much cheaper -- especially on sale!!!
3meows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:48 PM   #4  
Sarah: LAWL Not-So Newbie

S/C/G: 187/150/125

Height: 5'4"

I've tried the Slim Fast High Protein and the Optima too.. and they both taste horrible!! I love the SlimDowns so much.. but I cant keep affording them.. can anyone give like not an alternative.. but like what can I do to make the slimfast taste better? I mean how did you guys made the leap from Slimdown to Slimfast... I mean I'm really picky.. maybe its just me... ? any help?
IKIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:38 PM   #5  

Well... i didn't ever try the SlimDowns, so... And yes, the SlimFast shakes are pretty bad, but I like to make them a little thicker by mixing plain vanilla yogurt with it in a blender.. also ice helps. I know it doesn't sound like it would but it does. Try to powder if you don't like the pre mixed ones...
Old 11-24-2007, 02:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 223/176/140

Height: 5'3"

The pre-mixed Slim-Fasts are disgusting... they taste so artificial. The Chocolatey Royale Optima Powder Slim-Fast is really good... and it compares in every way to the Slim Downs. Plus, it's cheaper than the pre-mixed, so you win in every way

Actually, I don't know if this is typical, or just my mom, but she was doing the LA Slim Downs, and when she switched to the Slim Fasts, she lost more weight every week....
Desiree Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:01 PM   #7  
Tina

Height: 5'5"

I bought a six pack of the vanilla slim downs and wish I had never spent the money. I know some people like them but I couldn't even swallow a little bit of it. They were seriously gross. Just my opinion though, I know that others like them.
Ternoway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/170/155

Height: 5' 8"

No, you are right the slim-downs are gross.
I keep some around for extreme emergencies but I find the treat of having one makes me find something on plan to eat. A bowl of broccoli becomes more interesting at that point!
Plus, they replace a protein and a starch both things I have no trouble getting in during the day. Find me a quick and easy veggie replacement and I will be interested!
Tuesday Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:13 AM   #9  
Katy66

Height: 5'6"

I've actually started using the Target brand Ultra Weight Loss Shake. They are about $2 cheaper than slim fast and of course much cheaper than the slimdowns that LA offers. Like slim fast they are a little less protein that slimdowns so I add a piece of string cheese. That and a banana for breakfast and I'm set
Katy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:56 PM   #10  

Height: 5'4"

So if you are using a SlimFast to replace a protein and starch, is that on the new numbered programs? Would that also translate to a protein and a starch on the old color coded plans (especially since the Red1 has bigger portions of proteins)?

Just found Avidkayaker's post in the newbie section with the nutritional breakdown for the Wellements Protein Powder (thanks A.K.) and I can see lot of pluses.

#1, it is made with Whey protein, which is great for all of us who cannot consume soy products. It is also sold at Costco by the HUGE (6 pound) bag ful, but it is also very very low in sugar. Since the calorie count is really different than the slimdowns, do you compensate for the difference?

Here's the recap from AvidKayaker's post:

Slimdowns

Calories: 270
Fat: 5 grams
Sodium: 380 grams
Carbs: 36 grams
Sugars: 32 grams
Protein: 20 grams

Wellements Pro Rated
Calories: 135
Fat: 1 gram
Sodim: 52 grams
Carbs: 4 grams
Sugars: 2 grams
Protein: 27 grams

Here is the Nutritional information from the label on line:

1 scoop=serving
Calories: 138
Total Fat: 1.5g
Transfat: 0g.
Sat Fat: 1g
Carbohydrates: 4g
Fiber: 0 g.
Sugars: 2g
Protein: 27g
Sodium: 52g.

Thanks

Last edited by shshshhh; 11-28-2007 at 12:20 AM.
shshshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:22 AM   #11  
LAWL since 2/07

S/C/G: 240 / 226.2 / 130

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ternoway View Post
I bought a six pack of the vanilla slim downs and wish I had never spent the money. I know some people like them but I couldn't even swallow a little bit of it. They were seriously gross. Just my opinion though, I know that others like them.
I think they're nasty too. I can only really handle the coffee flavored one but my store was out one day so I bought the vanilla. I ended up adding instant coffee to mine and managed to choke it down.
smjezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:27 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 219/195/169

Height: 5'9"

I like the EAS "low carb" shakes. They are really tasty. Low calorie, low carb, and high protein. They come in Straw, Choc, and Van. I asked my counsler and she said she drinks them, but she was being all hush-hush about it. You should try them!
proud2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:25 PM   #13  

E A S?

Last edited by EmilyLashea; 12-01-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:40 PM   #14  
WonderWoman

Height: 5'5 and a half!

i actually like the slimfast optima french vanilla ones. i add some sugar free caramel syrup to it (since i work at starbucks, i have access to that) and they taste yummy. or i take a chocolate one and blend it with a banana and ice and make a smoothie (sometimes i add peanut butter if i need to get in a protein)
JLem311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:46 PM   #15  

Jillian- I was just about to post something asking about caramel!! [I kind of figured I didn't want to know the answer before I asked though..] Have you ever asked COD about it? Also, how much do you use and what do you count it as? Thanks!