Old 10-10-2007, 08:39 AM   #1  
PUGMOM

S/C/G: 168/168/125

Height: 5'3 1/2

Post mind over matter

Hi, Is it just me or is it that when you are on any weight loss journey, all you think about is food?????????????? I can't seem to get focused on anything else its borderline obsessive. And the more I think of it the hungrier I get, but if I stay busy I dont seem to get as hungry. Normal or do I need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TERZALPAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:46 AM   #2  
LAWL Salt Police

Totally and completely normal...

You, me and the rest of us here have made a committment to change our lifestyle in how we live with food, so therefore, a lot of our brainpower is focused on it.

Add to that, we are constantly bombarded with food via TV.. A bunch of my favorite shows are food related (Food Network and BBC America)... Last night Bobby Flay (whom I find increasingly annoying) was grilling up all kinds of goodness.. Liz looks at me and says "Why do we torture ourselves by watching this." At this point, thanks to Mr. Flay, a trip to Red Robin sounds like a good idea...

When we keep busy, we're obviously thinking about other things, so food takes a back seat...

The hardest part is sitting around at 9 p.m. and suddenly getting the munchies.. You have two choices... Give in, or go to bed.. It sucks, but that's the price we pay...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:47 AM   #3  
MyBoysNMe2

S/C/G: 168/134.8/135

Height: 5'3"

I'm with you! Today especially. My DH is out of town for a few days so I figured it would be a good time for a Fast Forward. Been kind of stalled and haven't done one since I started in May. ALL I can think about is what (or what I'm not) going to eat next. Good thing about DH being gone is I can go to bed at 8:00 when the kids go to bed and not have to worry about all the evening munchies and sweet cravings!

KimS
myboysnme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:51 AM   #4  

Height: 5'2"

Hi Pugmom,
I say if you are thinking about food alot then I suggest that you turn it around by planning the food that you are going to make and eat in the next few days. Many people have trouble in the evening hours and if you have the time, this is a good time to make menu plans or look for new recipes. I actually find that I am enjoying my meals and snacks more now because I have stopped just automatically putting any food that I see into my mouth.
Do you enjoy tea? This time of year tea is so warming and comfortable and it helps. Good luck

week 40
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 50 lbs.
Motto - My new motto is - I know how this _______ tastes. I have had it before. I will have it again someday, just not today……..
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:52 PM   #5  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Lynn - gotta say - I love your motto!
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

PUGMOM and Dan, I too have sat there drooling over the food shows. Why do we torture ourselves like that? I agree with Dan that it normal to get a bit obsessive about food.

I've counteracted it with a temporary obsession on the dangers of obesity. That made it so much easier to say no to myself. I had always rather ignored any risk I might be putting myself under. I researched online and it helped me to really stick with it when Rachael Ray was doing her thing and I couldn't change the channel for some reason.

The thing is, you are likely to always enjoy food, and there is nothing wrong with that. You just have to get smart about it, and watch out for your health. You aren't going to stop being you, just be a smarter, healthier you. Anyway that is what I'm trying to do.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/170/155

Height: 5' 8"

When I finished my TO-2 on Monday (aka fast forward) all I could think about was the next morning when I could have yogurt with fruit again. The raw veggies give me a grouchy tummy, the grouchy tummy gives me a grouchy tude! I called the DH an a$$^@@! when he told me he had lost 10#! He thinks dieting is ordering his hamburger without a second patty! I went to bed early the second day to get it over with. But, happily I was rewarded when I went to WI on Tues! I am wearing a pair of pants I could not wear last month and life is good. I am filling me evenings reading this site and trying to care about other things more than my next meal. Thanks for being here. I am so happy to read your laments and not feel so alone.
POP to all and to all a good weight loss...Tues
Yours in food obsession
Tuesday Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:03 PM   #8  
Starting over after baby!

S/C/G: 285/See Ticker/200

Height: 5'7''

I dream of being chased by giant chocolate covered Krispy Kremes screaming "EAT ME!!!"
bradleys mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:25 PM   #9  
Shelly

S/C/G: 124/Check Ticker/110

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I am so glad I am not the only one who dreams about donuts! That and cheese... yum! Lynn- you are definitely right with menu planning... it really takes your mind off the right now to envision what you are going to eat tomorrow!
beachbabe8406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:24 AM   #10  
ViolinCyndee

I am not so obsessed with food, but AM completely obsessed with the scale, weighing myself WAY too often!!!
ViolinCyndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:19 AM   #11  

I am always finding myself thinking about food! I stress over what I will eat when I go out! I am trying to deal with that and enjoy myself when my husband and I eat out. I guess I obsess over the scale too! The good thing is that these are behavors that can be broken or substituted wth different things!!!
3meows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:32 AM   #12  
DixieChick

S/C/G: 175/150/140

Height: 5'7"

It is so scarey to me to see how many of us have the same habits to deal with this journey. My habits are:

1) I watch the cooking shows too. Not obsessively, but I watch them. I also like to read recipes and cooking magazines.

2) I go to bed early when I can't have anything else to eat to end the day sooner also.

3) I have come to the point that I won't do a TO or FF because I can't have my yogurt and Fiber One. (That is scarey to me).

4) I cannot have a dessert in my house cause it calls my name until it is all gone. Not even one that is made from the LAWL cookbook. I CANNOT stop until it is gone. So I don't allow them in.
aguerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #13  
LAWL Salt Police

I've found the best way to counter dreaming about food is to watch "You Are What You Eat" on BBC America.. YIKES!!!!

Tuesday - Your DH will learn, as I have, to shut the **** up when it comes to our weight loss vs. our wive's... It's a sad fact that men lose faster... It's also a sad fact that we open our mouths too often... Our own weight loss should be celebrated, but we also need to be sensitive to what's going on with our DW's...

Although I have to say that Liz has never called me an a$$****
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:29 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/170/155

Height: 5' 8"

Well, in my defense I did say it with a smile and gave him a kiss after. He is the greatest and very supportive. He complements me constantly and I love that. Plus he is looking pretty good in those jeans... T
Tuesday Cool is offline   Reply With Quote