Old 10-08-2007, 01:35 AM   #1  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Wink Healthy Holiday Snacks, Recipes and Food Tips

Ok like it or not, the Holidays are closing approaching. That means.........all those yummy scrumptious and very fattening foods. So I thought I'd start this thread and we could post our favorite Holiday Snacks, Recipes and Food Tips to help us all through this Holiday Season.

Happy Holidays!!!
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:57 AM   #2  
~Believe~

Lightbulb Snacks Under 100 Calories

Snacks Under 100 Calories

By Garry Messick
eDiets Contributor

The lure of between-meal snacking is one of the main obstacles to losing weight or maintaining an already slim-and-trim body. But never fear… You don't have to give up the occasional nosh entirely, as long as you stick to low-calorie foods. In fact, eating regularly throughout the day keeps your metabolism up and keeps your blood sugar at a more consistent level. With that in mind, what follows is a list of healthy snacks that are all 100 calories or less and require little or no preparation.

Peanut Butter Celery Stalk -- One stalk of celery dabbed with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter (the kind without added hydrogenated oils) equals about 100 calories of protein-rich deliciousness.

Reduced-Fat Triscuits -- Six of these crunchy whole-grain crackers tote up to under 100 calories. The fiber content will help fill your stomach.

Dry-Roasted Pumpkin Seeds -- A quarter cup of this mineral-rich snack comes out to about 75 calories. Chocolate Treat -- For a quick and easy chocolate fix, take about six tablespoons of any brand of light whipped cream or light whipped cream substitute, and fold in a teaspoon of a powdered cocoa mix. Blend it thoroughly. Only about 50 calories.

Strawberry Newtons -- Nabisco sells a two-cookie snack pack of these. Each cookie is 100 calories. Eat one and give the other to a friend.

Cheese Stick with Marinara Sauce -- Put a low-fat mozzarella cheese stick into a bowl along with a quarter cup of marinara sauce. Heat briefly in the microwave (be careful not to overheat or you'll end up with soup). About 100 calories.

Half-Cup of Sherbet or Sorbet -- A good ice cream substitute, and under 100 calories.

Making eating healthy easy… and even take the weekends off your diet! Sign up for DeliciouslyYours meal delivery plan and lose weight without having to cook or plan! Plus, get a FREE eDiets membership! Click for details.

Root Beer Float -- Take eight ounces of diet root beer. Add a scoop of non-fat vanilla frozen yogurt. Around 90 calories.

Watermelon -- Two cups of watermelon cubes are fairly filling and equal only about 85 calories.

Corn on the Cob -- One medium-sized ear with a dash of seasoning will set you back only 80 calories.

Puffed Wheat Cereal -- Grab two-thirds of a cup of puffed wheat. Add a half cup of skim milk and a teaspoon of sugar or sugar substitute. About 100 calories.

Blueberries -- They're delicious fresh from a farmer's market. A cup equals only 90 calories.

Vegetarian Baked Beans -- Doesn't taste much different from the kind with pork in it. One third cup is only about 75 calories.

Teddy Grahams Crackers -- The chocolate ones are particularly yummy. Fifteen clock in at 82 calories.

Plums -- Three on the small side add up to around 90 calories.

Bagel Bites -- Found in the freezer section of your grocery store. Two of these little pizza treats equal 100 calories.

Turkey Sandwich -- Make a half-sandwich using a slice of whole-wheat bread and about two ounces of low-fat turkey breast. Add mustard and/or lettuce or a thin slice of tomato if you like. You're looking at about 100 calories.

Seven-Ounce Bottle of Dannon Lite 'n' Fit Carb Control Smoothie -- Good source of protein and calcium. Only 70 calories.

Campbell's Soup-at-Hand -- A convenient microwavable soup that you sip right from the container. The chicken noodle flavor is only 80 calories.

Red or White Wine or Champagne -- Five ounces of the bubbly stuff is under 100 calories.

Fruit and Whipped Cream -- Take a half cup of your favorite kind of berries -- raspberries, blueberries, boysenberries, etc. -- and place them in a bowl. Top with two tablespoons of a low-fat whipped cream or whipped cream substitute. About 100 calories.

Craisins -- Dried cranberries make a nice change of pace from raisins. Four tablespoons come to around 90 calories.

Grapes -- Ever try them frozen? A great summertime treat. Thirty are under 100 calories.

Bagel -- A half a bagel with a very light sprinkling of low-fat butter substitute will be around 100 calories.

Breadsticks -- The kind with sesame seeds -- two of 'em add up to about 85 calories.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:20 PM   #3  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Thanks for the thread Sassy and all the good tips!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #4  
GmaTo8

Halloween isn't an issue here, because we live in the county, and I have no trick-or-treaters. I make up bags for the DGDs, of candy and small toys, but don't keep any left over to tempt me.

As far as the main meal goes, Thanksgiving isn't too bad, either, since there are plenty of healthy choices, (turkey, green beans, green salads). Then I'll allow one small piece of pumpkin pie. The real stuff, not a WW version. I'll go over my points, but NOT pig out - maybe 10 extra points.

Christmas is more of a challenge, since the family is looking for cookies, fudge, etc. Plus, we get together for Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day, both, so it's a double challenge! Regarding the really fattening stuff, what I'll do is buy a small amount of some of their favorites, or make 1/2 recipe of the desserts that I can't buy. Like last year, I bought a couple dozen sugar cookies for the DGDs to decorate, and with a family of 14 here, they were gone soon. I'll send home with the kids any leftovers that could be a trigger for me.

What helps me the most for holidays, birthdays, etc, is having guilt-free foods around. Then I can munch w/o blowing it.

So I guess you could say portion control of the heavy foods, and planning ahead is my plan.

Last edited by Jane; 10-09-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:35 PM   #5  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Jane
Same way around here. Thanksgiving is like any other meal. I make a turkey at least once a month sometimes twice. Turkey, whipped potatoes, stuffing, veggies. I keep in mind to watch how much I eat of things. I don't do without a thing. Pumpkin pie, I love the stuff I make. Really have to watch that one. I make 1 pie instead of 4 these days. I eat one piece and let everyone else polish it off.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:40 PM   #6  
Rennie

Best yummy I have ever found is Weight Watchers fudge bars. 110 calories 1 gram fat. They are large, they are chocolaty, they are Gods gift to those of us not wanting to do without the yummy but wanting to do without all the calories and fat.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 10-09-2007 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #7  
GmaTo8

Rennie - are the fudge bars a type of ice cream bar?
Old 10-09-2007, 11:19 PM   #8  
Rennie

yes they are. you can type in weight watchers fudge bars and get all the information on them
Old 10-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #9  
GmaTo8

TY! For my chocolate fix, I've been occasionally having a Fudgesicle No Sugar Added bar. They're 40 calories, and 0 WW points, but I count them as 1 anyway. They're small, but they get the job done, lol.

I really like banana ff sf pudding, with banana cut up in it, and a sprinkling of crushed graham cracker on top. Low on points, and mmmmm good! Exactly how many points depends on how much banana you use, and how big your serving bowl is, lol.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:40 AM   #10  
~Believe~

Healthy Holiday Eating Tips

Written by Gloria Tsang R.D.
Published in Dec 2004; Updated in Nov 2006

It's that party season again! How can we avoid putting on extra weight while having a great time? The following are some holiday eating tips so that you can still look good and be healthy in January without having to deprive yourself of all the holiday treats.

* Don't go to a party hungry: we often eat faster and more when we are hungry - therefore eat a wholesome breakfast and lunch on the day to avoid overeating at the party.

* Watch your portion: treat yourself a nice drink, dessert, chocolate or sweets without guilt, but always watch your portion. Go for small portions. This way you can sample all the different foods. Moderation is always the key.

* Make a conscious choice to limit high fat items: high fat food items can be found in fried food, cream-based soup, cheese-filled casseroles, pies, processed meats such as salami and sausages, some pastries and baked goods.

* Try different versions of egg nog: traditional egg nog is usually made with egg yolk and thick cream. Google "low fat egg nog" and you will find lots of low fat egg nog recipes. If you buy commercial egg nog, you will be delighted to find low-fat or fat-free egg nog out there - we can even find soy nog!

* Try other versions of alcohol: instead of beer, cider, Bailey's and Kahlua, try dry wine, Bloody Marys or spirits with diet mixer which have fewer calories. Remember: Calories from alcohol tend to be stored in the abdomen. People who are overweight actually gain weight more easily when they consume alcohol.

* Drink plenty of water: alcohol and coffee can dehydrate your body.

* Physical activity: take nice brisk walks with your
loved ones and enjoy their company in the
holiday season.

Holiday Eating Tips: Recipe substitutions

If you are the chef of the party, try the following lower-fat recipe substitutions.
Recipe calls for

Substitution

1 whole egg 2 egg whites

sour cream low fat plain yogurt or low fat sour cream

milk skim or 1%

ice cream frozen yogurt

heavy cream (not for whipping) 2 tablespoons flour whisked into 2 cups non fat milk

whipped cream chilled evaporated skim milk or other low fat whipped products such as Nutriwhip

cheese low-fat cheese (non-fat cheese does not melt well if use in cooking or baking)

Many other products such as mayonnaise, cheese, cream soup, sour cream have lower-fat versions so experiment with them in your cooking.

Moderation is the key! We hope you enjoy this article. Healthcastle Nutrition wishes you a Happy Holiday Season.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:53 AM   #11  
~Believe~

Default Smoked Turkey Tortilla Wraps

Smoked Turkey Tortilla Wraps
Submitted by: June Faver
Rated: 4 out of 5 by 24 members

Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes Ready In: 20 Minutes
Yields: 10 servings
"These whole wheat, turkey, and avocado wraps are a great way to use leftover smoked turkey. My kids have always liked the leftovers as much as the 'firstovers'! These are different but yummy."

INGREDIENTS:
10 whole wheat flour tortillas
10 slices smoked turkey, cut
into thin strips
1 avocado - peeled, pitted and sliced
1/2 cup sour cream, for topping
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS:
1. Heat flour tortillas in a large skillet over medium heat until slightly browned. Divide turkey strips, avocado, sour cream, and cheese among the warmed tortillas. Fold in half and serve.

NUTRITION INFORMATION

Servings Per Recipe: 10

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 278

* Total Fat: 10.4g
* Cholesterol: 24mg
* Sodium: 666mg
* Total Carbs: 47g
* Dietary Fiber: 5.2g
* Protein: 12.6g

VIEW DETAILED NUTRITION

About: Nutrition Info