Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 01:54 PM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Default What Diet Are You On ?

Lets help eachother ~

What diet you are following and what type of exercise you are doing ?

Right not I am not dieting...I know this is bad but I am leaning on going back to CAD.

Exercise, I don't do anything, but I use to love to walk. I have a real bad back and knees and my body just feel's old. I'm going to start walking again and just going slow.

Thats about it !!

Lets hear about you ?????? Don't just lerk....get involved

Love, Leens
Old 04-12-2002, 02:46 PM   #2  

Talking You asked for its Leens

Ok Leenie Weeinie, Chili Beanie.. I am going to tell you!

I am a calorie counter. I use dietwatch software to track my calories and I am allowed 1500 calories per day, balanced plan. I was given this calorie level by a registered dietitian who took into account my weight, my activity level as well as my age. I generally try to keep the fat level at 35-40 grams a day ( I am alloted 50). Of course, this lets me have more carbs and protiens. I generally eat more protein that I am alloted, so it all works out. I measure everything... a set of measuring spoons and measuring cups are always on my counter. I found what I *thought* was a serving, was actually closer to 1 1/2-2 servings. I bring home a pound of meat and immediately divide it into 4 sections, or if in a recipe I measure it out to the number of servings.

I exercise 5 days a week. Step aerobics for 40 minutes 3X a week and traditional low impact 2X a week. 3X a week I also work out with weights. Soon I plan on adding a daily abdominal routine, as this is my weak spot. I spend 40 minutes in the morning before I go to work doing the aerobics, and when I get home I do my 20 minutes of weight. I don't know how bad your knees and back are Leens, but I have bad bad knees as well as an ankle with 30% reduction in mobility. I cannot ever do high impact aerobics, because of that. You should ask your doctor about what you can and cannot do. If you are going to walk, that is terrific. I would recommend you get a walking video as well, because sometimes, it is either too hot or too cold.. or too something outside. This way you cannot make that excuse

I also drink around 80-90 ounces of water a day, as this keeps away most cravings. I do not keep "red light" foods in my house. I know that isn't always an option with married people, but I am sure Jim would be supportive if you talked to him about the need to keep certain things out.

I know this is hard and I know you feel overwhelmed. What helps is planning. Planning meals in advance takes a little time, but it will really help you.

I want to live a long long time. That is my motivation. After the report that came out stating obesity was harder on the body than smoking was, I knew I had to get going. This is for my health, not to fit into a bikini, or be thin for a reunion.

You know I am here for you Leens.
Old 04-12-2002, 02:57 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Linny, winnie bo binnie......

You know your the best !

Trying to get things going in this group....its like pulling teeth

Hopefully some folks will be posting and we will get to know eachother ?? maybe ?? possibly ??

Have a wonderful one !!

Love, Leens
Old 04-15-2002, 12:21 AM   #4  

Default support

I would love to be part of a support group here!
I am taking classes at kaiser. They emphasize a low calorie, low fat diet. I am working my way to their goal of 10% of your calories from fat. When I kept a diary, I discovered although I can stay at 1500 calories, my diet was 40-60% fat! My poor arteries. My goal is to eat 25% fat. The good news is that the body analysis revealed my goal weight to be much higher than the charts. I ride my horse 5-7 days per week and do work at the barn. Apparantly I have more muscle than I give myself credit for. I need to loose 56 pounds. I am 48 years old and an empty nester. I work in the justice system, and I have a high stress job where I sit for most of the day. I am lucky that my husband is very supportive of my efforts.
Old 04-15-2002, 12:43 AM   #5  

Angry Hey Leens

I was just l in the area! I wanted to tell you about the Leslie Sansome Walk away the pounds, if you can walk you can do it! Its not long but it is good and you add weights.

Try it! I bought it at WalMArt $6.96 it was way worth it! I am just back doing it, with the persistenace of the gals on my thread I cant slack anymore- Let me Know!

Good Luck! Im here for ya!

Lil Sis
Old 04-15-2002, 12:46 AM   #6  

Default LindaT

You go girl! That is some workout! Let me know how it's going?

Lil Sis
Old 04-15-2002, 09:04 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Hi Everyone,

I must have every tape going, I have a dredmill and some exercise bench my hubby has...the one chuck noris endourses, you would think I have no excuse huh. Well I really don't

Lil Sis, I do like the Leslie Sansone tape, I've only done it a few times but I did like doing it because it was fast. I brought it to work because the girls here said they would do it with me and so far no one will .... Uhh ! So I'm going to bring it back home and do it the minute I walk in the door.

Idyliz, welcome to the group, I understand about the sitting all day I do the same. Some days I might walk around a bit but for the most part, my rear just stays planted in that seat. You sound like you have a good goal. I have such a hard time staying at 1500 calories, but I am starting AGAIN today. I would like to keep it low carb as well....we'll see ?

Linnie, hey there woman !!!! your my inspiration

Have a great day all and stay with your plan.

Love, Leens
Old 04-15-2002, 01:11 PM   #8  

Default Taking another work break.

Hi Ladies,

Taking another work break so I can do another post.

Lil Sis, Things are going pretty good on the diet/exercise front. I didn't get nutso over the weekend and I did my Sunday workouts fine. Right now I am lucky, I am into the groove, the click.. whatever you want to call it. It kind of like being in the right current on a river, and things are easier. I am not kidding myself and taking my eyes off of anything for very long. I know it is easy to get too secure and too confident and then SPLAT right back to where I was. I don't have the hard getting started struggle that a few of you are dealing with that.. and that IS very very hard. Back in January, when I re-started, I tell you I struggled.. for weeks and weeks. It was out of sheer stubborness most mornings that I got my flabby behind out of bed and exercised. But a funny thing happened after about 6 weeks of the lifestyle change... I got the click!! Some people say it happens after 21 days...lol guess I am pathetically SLOW!!

Welcome ldyliz to our little corner of 3FC. I had the opposite problem with food you did.. eating too low fat! I know that sounds nuts, but I saw a registered dietitian and she evaluated me. I was eating fat free stuff like it was going out of style. Unfortunately, fat free and calorie free are rarely the same thing! She had me up my fat intact to as close to 30% as I could get it ( which for my 1500 calories diet is about 50 grams). I never get that much, but I am not longer in the teens and low twenties. I make sure I get at least 30 grams a day, but mostly of good fats like olive oil, canola etc. Fat takes the longest to digest of the three compnants, so this keeps me going between meals.. I rarely snack.

Leens, what is inspiring is my stubborness..lol that is the same thing that got me sent to my room as a kid. What I am concerened about is my all or nothing attitude. I need to realize that if I do fall off plan, I need to get right back with it and not give up. That has been what I have done in the past. This month is a critical make or break time for this lifestyle change. I have been able to keep this up a few times for about 4 months. then I have quit. I am keping this factoid in the back of my tiny little brain and NOT letting it influence me.

I hope everyone does some exercise today, even if it is only for 10 minutes. We all can find 10 minutes in the day to go for a walk, do a few minuties of a video.. something with cardiovascular componant. Start slow.. I started at 15 minutes a day, and now am at 45-60 minutes a day of exercise. Most of the battle takes place in between the ears... show it who is BOSS!
Old 04-16-2002, 11:34 AM   #9  

Yeah, I finally broke my plateau. I weighed in and finally after four weeksf I have lost a half pound! My goal is to lose 24 pounds this year and another 25 next year.

I discovered I like outside activities the best, so now I walk our dog with my husband and ride my horse. I tried an excercise video, but I hurt my back doing it, so now I stick with walking.

Congrats to all of you who excercise regularly. It is hard to stay motivated when you are tired and stressed out from work. Have a great day!
Old 04-17-2002, 11:15 PM   #10  
it's always something

Congrats on breaking the plateau, ldyliz!

I'm curious about the Leslie Sansone tape, guys, is it really good? I had tried Kathy Smith's Lean Walk audio tapes, but hated them. Have any of you tried that one, and how does it compare?

thanks
Old 04-18-2002, 08:06 AM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Suzanne,

I have all three of Leslie's tapes 1 2 and 3 miles. The only one I have done was the one mile and its pretty good. Now mind you, I haven't exercised in 2 years so the one mile was a pretty good workout for me also it was about 18 minutes which I liked because I hate exercising and the shorter the better. I did sweat but then I sweat very easy I found it to be gentle on my joints. I have a spine disease and arthritis in the knees and back and I didn't hurt when I was done.

About 2 years ago I joined a gym because they had a pool and I thought that would be great for my body, no impact. What they didn't tell me was that at night (right when I would be there, after work) they had swim classes for kids....So I only went a few times. It was horrible trying to exercise and swim with a bunch of kids in the pool (not a very big pool either) and their skinny mothers watching you as you walk by in your bathing suit and swim...how embarrasing is that. Well I did complain to the owner but nothing happened....so I quit.

WOW.......okay well to answer your question, yes I like the leslie tape

Love, Leens
Old 04-22-2002, 02:30 PM   #12  

Default AAARRRRGGGGHHH!

I celebrated too soon! I have gained back a pound. It seems like I have been yo-yoing up and down a pound or two forever! I know it was the stress eating I did last week. I start eating before I can stop myself when I am under stress, which seems to be pretty much all the time. Any good tips anyone can give me would be appreciated!
Liz
Old 04-22-2002, 03:26 PM   #13  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Hi Liz,

Oh what a bummer, I would be upset to but you know its so hard when your body is comfortable at a certain weight, its almost as if it struggles with you to stay there. Hang in there it will happen.

I remember going thru the same thing, my body loved being 170 lbs...thats skinny for me cause I'm tall but I wanted to be 150 lbs. It took me a long time but once I broke that platu the weight just came off like water. Needless to say I'm way over 200 lbs now.....Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay don't worry over the pound, just get back on the plan and try again, yes, you can do it. !!!!!!

Keep us posted.

Love Leens
Old 04-28-2002, 01:13 AM   #14  

Default Thanks Leena

Thanks Leena. I took your advice. I am down a pound and a half. one more to go to be back where I was. I find it so hard to stay on my diet when stress hits. It has been a tough week, and things won't ease up for about another week. Man! Every time I think I can catch my breath, another crisis looms. Obviously this is my life style and I had better learn to cope other than by eating!
I hope you are doing well.
Liz
Old 04-29-2002, 11:12 AM   #15  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Hi Girls,

Liz, I'm happy to hear your down again (pounds that is). Keep it going sis, it will happen, trust me, I've been there and have done that I hope to be there again

I'm fasting today, please keep me in your prayers

Have a blessed day.

Love, Leens
Closed Thread