Old 10-04-2007, 08:53 AM   #1  
empty nester

Height: 5'6"

Thumbs up Meet Me In Wonderland?

I have just arrived in Onederland! Would anyone else just arriving care to go the next 20 or so with me??

Last edited by The gramma; 10-04-2007 at 08:59 AM. Reason: TYPO
The gramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 212/190'ish/125

Height: 5' 2"

I would LOVE to join you!! I've been dancing in and out of Onederland for the last few days and want to get far enough away from the border that having too much salt or TOM won't push me back over the edge!!
ggmugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:14 PM   #3  
empty nester

Thumbs up Onederful!

So glad you can join me gg!
(do you mind if I call you gg?)

Would you care to share a bit about your WL journey?

I am 44.
I have been overweight most of my life.
My highest was 224, about 5 years ago.
My lowest as an adult/post babies was 129, about 20 years ago.
And everything in between since.

And you?
Old 10-04-2007, 03:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/237/165

Height: 5'10.5"

Default Congratulations!!!!!!!

Wish I could join you...but I'm still baby-steping in that direction.

CONGRATULATIONS on making it to onederland.
ShyCammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:33 PM   #5  
empty nester

Default Thanks Shy!

Keep steppin, it's right around the bend!
Old 10-05-2007, 11:26 AM   #6  

Hey!

You can call me whatever you want. :-) GG or Mindy, either one.

I am 41. I'm 5' 2". My father started nagging at me about my weight when I was around 12 and my body was starting to develop. He couldn't stand that I was getting curvy. I remember the first time he said anything. He handed my two younger sisters candy bars and gave me an apple and informed me that I was getting "hippy." What an as&*ole. He was relentless. He made me FEEL fat even though I wasn't. I look back at photographs from that time period and I hate him. I was totally normal.

Needless to say by the time I was in high school I had a serious eating problem. I'd starvation diet for a while and then binge. I got down to 119 by starving myself. I slept all the time because I had no calories. My mom thought I was doing drugs . . . nope, I just wasn't eating. To him, I was still "hippy" at 119 and I gave up. I would give almost anything to weigh 119 now.

I hit my high of 220 just after my 2nd (and last) child was born. This was the summer of 1993. Oprah was losing weight and when I saw her show about Get With The Program and Bob Greene I started exercising and following Bob's advice. (It was probably 1994 by then.) I was still breastfeeding and dumped 70 pounds. My mother called me the Incredible Shrinking Woman.

My lowest weight out of high school was 149. I think I weighed that for a day. lol. I kept my weight down under 160 until I got married for the 2nd time. Then, it was so much nicer snuggling with my new husband than getting up at 6:00 am to run 3 miles I just quit exercising and nearly all of it came back. This time my high was 215.

I started trying to lose it in April and got down to 193. I spent a lot of time partying the end of summer and gained back 7 pounds. I weighed 199.2 this morning. I started the Christmas Challenge to lose 18 pounds before Christmas. I was positively ill when I stepped on the scale and was I was 200 again. I remember the first day it was under 200 I was THRILLED. I want to get as far from 200 as I possibly can!!!

I've done WW and it works for me but I think their Points system is flawed. That fat free mayonnaise is zero points yet loaded with high fructose corn syrup just doesn't sit well with me. And their 2 point ice cream bars. Come on . . .

I'm basically doing GWTP again. 5 fruits and veggies a day. Lean proteins. Limit fat. Avoid or severely restrict alcohol. (Which is VERY hard for me. I love my wine!!) Exercise 60 minutes HARD a day.

I'll tell you what I told my Dr. yesterday. When I lose weight and people notice it makes me uncomfortable. My weight is my shield from the world. I feel naked without it. I know if I'm going to keep this weight off permanently I need to be comfortable with what I call my "real" body . . . the me hiding underneath the fat.

It makes me particularly uncomfortable when my father comments about any weight I've lost. I want to just slap him. I have anger issues . . . lol.

I'm really enjoying my blog, too!!!

Last edited by ggmugsy; 10-05-2007 at 11:37 AM. Reason: additional comment.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #7  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

I would love to be back in Onederland.

I like your ticker Mindy showing the christmas challenge one pound a week. Hugs to you . You must have felt awful when your father made those comments to you. What did your doctor say when you told him it made you feel uncomfortable when you lose weight? I think I'm like that as well using my weight as a shield.

I still have a few to go before I get to Onederland but I'll join in with you girls.

I need to exercise more
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:45 PM   #8  

I can't see a male doctor. I see only women. I gave in and have a male dentist, but that's as far as it goes!!! I didn't get a breast reduction last time I was thin because I couldn't find a female plastic surgeon in my area. That's on my list of things to do once I can shake this weight . . . get a breast reduction . . . by a woman!!!

My Dr. asked me if I wanted to talk to a professional about my feelings and gave me the name of a counselor. Mr. Dr. had been molested as a child and went to the counselor she recommended to me.

I went to a counselor once before and she kept telling me how "normal" I am so I decided she was an idiot and I never went back. lol. I know my hangups. I know WHY I feel the way I do. I know my fear is illogical and I just need to buck up and let go of the past. Recognize that things he's said to me does NOT affect who I really am.

This is my journey and I think I'll go it alone for now.

I feel losing the weight SLOWLY is going to help me. Last time I dropped it so fast my mind couldn't keep up with my new size. I looked in the mirror one day and didn't recognize myself. I don't want that to happen again.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:53 PM   #9  
empty nester

Red face Hey Girls!

Sorry I am so late writing. I got to work at 6am and left at 7pm. Then I went out to dinner with my husband. Still don't have that obstacle under control-Catfish sandwich and fries-ugh.
It is amazing how others can affect OUR self image. I have been fighting that all my life. But I am blessed to have a husband that has loved me and supported me through every size. I wish I could be as good to myself.
So . . . I think I need some accountability and a small, short-term goal. Anybody up for a short challenge? I think my first priority is to weigh in only once a week. Otherwise the scale plays head-games with me. I am thinking that I will weigh in on Tuesday mornings, that is "biggest loser" night. I don't watch much TV, but I do enjoy that show.
Any suggestions?
Old 10-06-2007, 06:49 PM   #10  

Hey!

You are welcome to jump on the Christmas Goal bandwagon with me. I'm trying to lose 18 pounds.

OR . . . we could do an exercise challenge or something like that. I'm flexible and always on board for a challenge.

My husband is very sweet but sometimes . . . and I know he doesn't do it intentionally . . . but he kind of sabotages my efforts. Brings me a glass of wine when I'm stressed or keeps offering me bites of ice cream even when I've said no.

I don't know what the answer for weighing in is. Last time I lost weight I did it only once a month, right when my TOM ended. I too get freaked out by the number. My friend, Wendy, just talked me into weighing every day so I'm trying to get used to that and I'm kind of all over the place. BUT, when it's a little higher I think I'm more careful.

I've never watched The Biggest Loser. I went and checked it out on-line when they had one of the contestants on the Today Show. WOW! Some of those weight loss stories were amazing! Some of the weight loss stories on 3FC are amazing.

Did anybody see Oprah yesterday? It was about the book "Eat, Pray, Love." I had read an excerpt of this book in O Magazine MONTHS ago, but haven't read the entire book. I really enjoyed the author. She made me very positive about the "journey" . . . we are on a journey to find health.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:57 PM   #11  

One more thing . . .

I had a discussion Friday with my sister about my father and his riducule of us and our appearance. (My mother is a very critical person as well.) We each handled the situation differently.

For me, they made me feel like nobody could possibly love me if I was overweight and I kind of snubbed my nose at them with the, "Oh yeah . . . watch me!" attitude. Kelly, my sister, thinks I hold onto this weight in part because I like showing them I can be loved and be successful even though I'm overweight.

Kelly handled it differently than I did. She has worked very hard trying to "please" both our parents. She believes she is flawed and it has affected her relationships with me. She's always just waiting for them to figure out she's not perfect.

Our conclusion was that we both need to learn to love and nurture ourselves.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #12  
empty nester

Unhappy

Mindy,
It makes me so sad that others have such power and influence over us. Some parents just don't know the life-long impact of thier actions. I know God has given you the inner strength to overcome it though. Dig deep girl, you are loved.

I think we are all strong enough to get down 5 lbs by the end of the month!
Who is up for it??
Old 10-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #13  

Count me in!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 04:54 PM   #14  
empty nester

Thumbs up Do you have a game plan?

My goal is . . .

at least 45 min of cardio 3 days a week

weights for upper and lower body 2X within the week.

min 64oz H20 daily.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #15  
empty nester

Default oops

gg-sorry, I see back in your earler post-60 min cardio a day for you! You go girl! I am not quite as ambitious. I work 3/12+ week, so I know I won't be exercising on work days This is probably the best I can do until my stamina improves.

Clydegirl-are you with us?

Last edited by The gramma; 10-07-2007 at 05:40 PM.