Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Default October holidays

I wanted to start a thread about my favorite time of the year, especially since so many Alternachicks are into it. What are you making/dressing up as/decorating your home with/cooking/events planned/etc. to celebrate October, Halloween, and/or Samhain?

My father's birthday, my birthday and my wedding anniversary are also this month, so I have lots going on.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/184/140

So far I have the Texas Renaissance Festival on the 6th/7th (see my blog for my wench outfit that I made).

On the 13th I am going to my sister-in-law's wedding reception.

And that's about it! Don't know what I'm doing for Halloween/Samhain yet. Probably the same as last year ... hubby and I dressed up and tried to scare the trick or treaters .... before handing out candy ... we had 180 kids last year!!
Old 10-02-2007, 07:14 PM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

I have my house and my altar all done up for Samhain. I usually do a small ritual to honor the passing of my ancestors - leave offerings outdoors and then take my son trick or treating !!
Old 10-02-2007, 08:36 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

Oh I do love this time of year & love finding out when other people love this time of year, too ^^

I've already decorated my cube at work with things that are festive

Let's see... got a Halloween party to attend later in the month. The theme is "Warped Childhood Memories" so like a friend is going as "tragedy Ann". I haven't thought of my costume, yet, though.

On Halloween I will be giving away candies to the kiddies, and following tradition by watching Hocus Pocus... I've done it every Halloween since it came out. >.<
Old 10-02-2007, 08:50 PM   #5  
change

S/C/G: 169/ticker/healthy

Height: 5'3" ish?

My English dept. is putting on a production of Bram Stoker's Dracula. And then our honor society always has a literary character themed Halloween party<---still pondering costume ideas. Last year I went as a beatnick (didn't have to do much

What I celebrate most this time of year is Autumn and to do so, I get outside as much as possible, try to walk everywhere and enjoy the season, leaves changing, mums blooming, etc. Killer sunset tonight on the walk home.

Hocus Pocus. That's friggin' awesome, man, awesome.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:35 PM   #6  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I got my birthday coming up, my new step brothers(>.< Same day as me), Rocky Horror Picture Show on the 26th and my birthday! ^_____^ A date and I'm sure there's more.

Hocus Pocus ROCKS! I luff it.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:43 AM   #7  

witchy-I have tons of Samhain related activities and recipes, if you are interested.

I love the idea of the warped childhood character theme party. Is there any way you could get a hold of one of those huge Care Bear costumes? You could change it to "Hooks a Lot Bear", "Crystal Meth Bear", etc.

We went out last night to buy new decorations. It is a thing we do every year-get one or two things new. That way, 20 years from now we have one of those Clark Griswold houses.

We bought our trick or treat candy last night, as well. We always try to be one of the "good houses" where you get a handful. Did any of you guys ever get the house that gave you pennies when you were a kid? We try not to be THAT house.

I have full moon and dark moon ritual this month, then our anniversary on the 23rd, my birthday on the 30th, and Halloween obviously the 31st. We are doing the Addams Family AGAIN this year-for about the 3rd time. We can't help it, we are typecast that way-my husband looks much like Gomez, and we have a pale, buzz cut little boy, and an older girl with dark hair/eyes that wears braids a lot. The costume just "fits". We even have Pubert-because Saber, our 1 year old, is dark haired/eyed like his daddy. I am the only one who really has to work a whole lot with makeup/wig, etc.

DH has the black shirt/bow tie/vest and the vintage smoking jacket and black/white wing tips. I usually use liquid liner to make his moustache, and he uses a cigar. Jas has the black velvet dress with white satin collar and cuffs.

Raiden has the black striped tee, the black school uniform shorts, and the black dress socks and shoes. Pubert even has the costume, and I throw a little Ben Nye on his face to pale it, and add the liner moustache.

The neighborhood loves it.

I am trying to get my mother to come over to pass our treats while we are out, and we'll finish when we get back.

We actually do the Samhain celebration by using the cycles/witch calendar, so the equinox/solstice/holidays are sometimes a day or so off from what the traditional calendar has. So our Samhain celebration will be a day or two after Halloween. I'll have to check.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:06 PM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

aphil - those are some great "care" bear ideas ^^

I -do- remember hating that house that gave out like 10 pennies... but not more than the house that gave out toothbrushes...

And I think your family costume is great That's a classic and it's fun every year.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:13 PM   #9  
Made of Starstuff

My brother helped me work out a costume for that party I'm heading to. "Incinderella" A very pyro-loving cinderella. (Pre-princess form for cheap costume purposes)
Old 10-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #10  
small steps

S/C/G: 209/*ticker*/125

Height: 5'1 & 3/4

I've always loved October! It's when the weather starts to get really crisp and the leaves look awesome. This October has been so weird though. Hot hot weather for no reason.

I don't have any plans for Halloween just yet though. I really really want to do something!

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is Samhain?
Old 10-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #11  
Made of Starstuff

Pronounced "sah when". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain
Old 10-09-2007, 09:47 PM   #12  
small steps

Ahh I see, I see. Thank you for the link.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:27 AM   #13  

It is a day of reflection as well, honoring the dead that have passed before us. Many traditions of secular Halloween are actually for Samhain. Samhain is when the veil between the living and the dead are supposed to be the thinnest, so Jack O Lanterns are carved to scare off bad spirits from the home, and often those who celebrate Samhain will place out food and a setting either at the dinner table, or outside, for friends/family who we want to honor and communicate with, that have passed on.

It is a New Years celebration as well, for Pagans/Witches. The colors orange and black are also rooted in Paganism. (Just as with red and green for Yule, which ended up being melded into Christmas.)
Old 10-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #14  
small steps

Thanks for the overview aphil. I'm always really interested in learning about other people's traditions and beliefs. I know a lot of the holidays I celebrate have roots in other religions that I don't even know about, so it's always surprising to find out what their true roots are.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #15  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Incinderella and Tragedy Ann - great costume ideas!

I'm not sure what I am dressing up as for a party but I will be giving out candy on the big day.

One of my best costumes in recent years was Cruella Deville (sp?). I had spayed my hair black and white like hers and had a fake fur coat embellished with stuffed toy dalmatians that I had bought at the Dollar Store and safety pinned to it. I topped it off with a vintage cigarette holder and blood red lippy and voila! I love Halloween!
Closed Thread