Old 10-02-2007, 08:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Default cake and more cake

There seems to always be birthday cake around me for some reason. There was one in the breakroom yesterday and I did good by not having any! Today I go in there and its still there. So I tried a little bit of the icing, big mistake, it was real icing. If it was that whipped stuff I wouldnt have cut a slice. So now I have a slice of cake on my desk. I thought about just eating the icing and throwing the rest away, then I thought how if I eat cake in the morning I would have all day to burn it off rather than waiting until later in the day and eating some. My boss is out today and the other girl in my office will be leaving at noon so it would just be me and that cake. I thought maybe if I allow myself some now I could resist it later, what do yall think? I know the best thing would be to just throw the slice in the trash.
cara1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #2  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

Cut the piece at your desk into four pieces. Take a bite, decide if it is delicious enough to be worth the calories. If it isn't throw the whole thing away. If it is, eat 1 piece, savor it, and then take great pleasure in tossing the rest out and being in control!
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:45 AM   #3  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

I am guessing day-old birthday cake isn't going to be worth the calories.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:03 AM   #4  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Hi,
I have eaten cake in the morning and then felt horrible the whole day( this happened a few years ago), Cake has nothing healthy in it to give you the energy to begin the day!! Throw the cake out, and eat a healthy breakfast!!! You don't need it nor do you want it!! cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:36 AM   #5  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I agree with Cheryl. All of that sugar will cause your insulin to spike and then take a dive to an even lower level than before you ate the cake. Its just not worth the fatigue and "fuzzy" thinking. Throw it away! Throw the whole cake away! Its sat there this long, so its obviously not a priority to anyone. Also, think about your committment. You will feel so empowered when you don't eat it and just throw it away! Go Cara! (Be sure to post your NSV after you throw it away)
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

This is an easy one. No one else wants the cake, it's been sitting out all night so is probably growing bacteria. Throw the cake away! You're playing mental games with yourself! Throw it away!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #7  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

heheh you can do my trick! I had a big piece of cake and didn't want to be tempted so i dumped pepper all over it and threw it out LOL

I wanted to be SURE it STAYED gone! hahah
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:21 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Just throw it away. Once it's out of there, you can stop thinking about it.

Cake, IMO, is something that should be eaten once in a while. And if you're gonna eat it, well then it should be wonderful, fresh and scrumptious cake, not leftover, unwanted birthday cake. Yuck.

It's not worth it. It's not worth it. It's not worth it. It's not worth it. It just ISN'T.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:43 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Yesterday was my birthday and I had NO cake. If I can skip it on my own birthday, then you can throw a hunk of day old stale cake in the garbage.

Toss it.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:45 AM   #10  

I should have read the responses before I ate the cake. THe cake actually belongs to another dept and if its in the breakroom we are allowed to have some. Im sure it will be gone today. I just ate the icing and 1/2 of the actual cake part. It was really good icing but really wasnt worth the calories and I know icing is high in calories. I have some cottage cheese here that was supposed to be for breakfast so Im going to have that for the snack and my sald for lunch.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara1980 View Post
It was really good icing but really wasnt worth the calories
That's the thing - it so rarely is.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #12  
Trying Intuitive Eating

S/C/G: 430/ticker/138

Height: 5'5.5

I had grown so immensely tired of fighting with (insert food here) cake. It's just cake, rarely worthy of taking up space in our mind, our day, our life. I'd eat a sliver of cake the moment it looked like it was turning into some kind of internal battle - it wouldn't take too many times eating cake first thing in the morning to realize that it's not that fun and it doesn't make your body feel all that great. Then the power is back with you where it belongs, and not with the cake.
MetaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:15 PM   #13  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaChick View Post
I had grown so immensely tired of fighting with (insert food here) cake. It's just cake, rarely worthy of taking up space in our mind, our day, our life. I'd eat a sliver of cake the moment it looked like it was turning into some kind of internal battle - it wouldn't take too many times eating cake first thing in the morning to realize that it's not that fun and it doesn't make your body feel all that great. Then the power is back with you where it belongs, and not with the cake.

Metachick, I strongly disagree. Its not just cake. Its a symptom of what made us fat in the first place....eating too much of the wrong things with no self discipline at all. One of the things we must learn on the journey to good health and weight loss is the ability to exercise self-control and to plan ahead for such temptations. Unfortunately, I am one who never learned from eating cake (or any other sugary starchy food) first thing in the morning for years. It didnt matter how it made me feel...I wanted it and I ate it! All I cared about was feeding the need for comfort from my emotions. Today, if I did not carefully plan ahead to eat a small piece of cake for a very very special event, I could easily follow the first piece with many many pieces! Years of this kind of abuse to my body resulted in a 114 pound weight gain, painful joints, fatigue, headaches, etc. When the problems of living as an overweight 42 year old woman got to be too much of a burden, then I decided to end this vicious cycle. The power is not with the cake....the power is in withstanding the temptation to give into your "need."
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:59 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

The other day, I was at a meeting with the most divine looking pastries. They were calling, they were screaming. I couldn't move past them.

I cut one in half, put a half on my plate, and made a deal with myself to take a small bite. If it wasn't as divine tasting as it looked, I'd toss it.

IT WAS WORTH EVERY CALORIE. No biggie, I fit it into my daily calorie total and all was well. I felt fine, no problems with sugar spikes and dives, no uncontrollable cravings the rest of the day.

Other days taking the pastry would be a huge mistake, and the chain reaction of feeling bad and eating poorly would be set off.

I'm trying to learn to figure out when to take the pastry and when to stay 100 miles from it. I can't say I'm an expert or "cured", but I think I'm improving in listening to the clues. Sometimes taking the pasty is ok, sometimes not. I think it depends on how strong we are feeling, if it's a binge trigger food, how well we are capable of managing the day at that moment, what kind of plan we've committed to, and many other factors.

Last edited by BattleAx; 10-02-2007 at 09:00 PM.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:09 AM   #15  

I now find myself automatically saying are you really hungry, do you really need this, chances are Im not hungry adn I dont need it but I have a hard time making myself stop once Im reaching.

Im still lacking that determination I had last year when I was losing. I dont know what it is thats keeping me fr om doing what I know how to do. My BF has lost 40lbs and she is trying to motivate me but last year when I was trying to motivate her she wanted nothing to do with it. She went from 220 to 182 in 3 months, I went from 223 to 209-211 in 3 months. Maybe Im jealous of how easy it is for her b/c I struggled to get to 188 and she is 182 with no problem!