Old 10-01-2007, 06:24 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #39

Good morning! I did this whole long post and it said I wasn't signed in so I signed in then it locked it up! {{{SIGH}}} So, this one will have to be shorter.

Jean: I grew up in a tiny town of 1600 and my great uncle owned a country grocery. Even that little store provided you with choices! He was a butcher so there was no packaged meat. Everything was ground fresh everyday and all the meat was fresh. It also had a great penny candy aisle that we kids all loved of course. I was a bubble gumball freak and he used to carry these aqua gumballs covered in sugar and a bright orange-yellow and red streaked gumball. Those two were my favorite. The aqua one was sort of wintergreen tasting then the other one was a sour tasting one. You used to be able to get wax coke bottles that had this nasty syrup that kids loved in it, pixy sticks with basically koolaid in them, candy, chocolate, and bubblegum cigarettes, Mary Janes, which I have always liked, all kinds of stuff you can't get anymore, though I think they still make Mary Janes. A lot of the stores and stuff have closed now and the town is kind of dead. I loved growing up there, but hated living there as an adult. I guess after living in huge cities for 20 years, small town life was a bore pretty much, especially since the town was dying. I liked the Swiffer Sweeper. It picked up a lot of stuff I don't think a broom would, fuzz and stuff, cat hair and the like. When it starts to have a lot of stuff on the bottom you have to change it out though so I guess it could get expensive. It is worth it not to have to bend over with the broom and dustpan all the time.

We started to do the carpet and found the shampoo bottle is not dispensing so I had to order a part and we had to quit. The carpets are full of just water now, UGH! They are almost dry now, but without the cleaning they smelled sort of like wet dog yesterday! lol I put everything back and cleaned the downstairs.

Well, gals, I need to finish my chores and get the laundry in the dryer. Jack's oral surgery appt is today so he is upstairs snoozing as he isn't going to work.

Have a great start to the week!
Faye

Last edited by gma22; 10-01-2007 at 08:24 PM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #2  

Good Evening, Flowers! It was a "warm" day in my corner of the world today. Tomorrow is supposed to be cooler and raining again. I can't help but wonder what our winter weather will be like after this crazy weather we've been having.

Today was the first day of Homecoming festivities. Dress for the day was pjs -- some did dress up and some didn't. There are some senior boys who chose to dress up like girls and some of them didn't look too bad. Tomorrow is "mix and match" day so it will be interesting to see what that brings. We start the day with a competition assembly between the classes. Nothing like getting the day off to a hyper start.

I broke down and got a body perm after school. It didn't go any faster than the others I've had . . . 3 hours. I am tired and I have a headache tonight. It almost feels like the beginning of a sinus infection and I don't have time for that. Guess I'll take some aspirin and head for bed shortly.

"Gma" -- We had a little neighborhood store when I was growing up. It smelled "old" because the lady collected antique stuff and also painted her own glass things to sell. She had a soda fountain and a penny candy display too. I remember all of the candy you mentioned! A long time ago I got a catalog and it had all of the old time candy in it along with the Clove, Beeman, (?) and Blackjack gum. I hope your shampooer part comes soon! I can just about smell your "wet dog" carpet clear up here. We need to do our bedrooms but I keep thinking that we will get new carpet one of these days -- if I ever get them completely sorted through.

Hope you have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- and from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:18 PM   #3  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Jean
How do they perm the BODY and does it hurt ?
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:08 AM   #4  

Good morning gals! Well, Jack got his surgery done, really liked his surgeon and is doing fine. The pharmacist says his antibiotics may cause diahrrea, but I sure hope not as he is going back to work tomorrow. I had the dr's office make his return to work Wednesday so he could have a day to recuperate.

Jean: I remember those gums too. I love Clove gum. One of the fondest memories I have is that my grandma's purse always smelled of peppermint gum. She always carried a pack in her purse and never varied from peppermint. I don't know if Wrigley still makes a peppermint gum. You could sometimes find those little red and white peppermint disks in her purse, but that gum was always in her "pocketbook" along with her red tri-fold wallet, her folding checkbook, a fountain pen and a lace hankie. Do the teachers dress up too, or only the students? I mean, if I had an opportunity to go to school in my pjs and bathrobe I would jump at the chance!

Rennie: Good to see you here! We would love to see you post with us. I looked at your profile and it said you love Euchre. My husband and I do too, but no one down here knows how to play it. I think it is a northern game and I learned living in Indiana. The International Contract Bridge something or other is based here in Memphis so I guess all the fancy pants play bridge here. Jack knows how, but I find it confusing as the devil!!!

I got my birthday card from Jay and Alicia yesterday and they sent me these in it. The one of Jay and his dad was taken at a restaurant we went to with a large group of their friends when we were there for the baby's birth. As Jay gets older he looks less like me and more like his dad. I know his dad really misses him because I showed him the picture yesterday and he said he wished they could just go out somewhere and have a beer or whatever and sit and talk. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen unless they visit here or we there and I doubt Alicia would want them to go without us. She always wants to be included, but I know that the two of them would like some dad and son time alone and I have no problem with that. Maybe they can get away while they are here at Thanksgiving or when we go up there for Christmas.

Better get to tackling morning chores before Jack wakes up. He says he is in a little bit of pain, but not much. He has pain meds and took one last night and slept through the night so maybe this morning he will feel better.

Have a good Tuesday!
Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-28-2008 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:04 PM   #5  
Rennie

gma
Yes, while people all over the world play. Mostly is Ohio, Penn, Mich and Indiana here that play. There are some good on line sites if you are interest I will send you a pm where I play.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:26 PM   #6  

Good Evening, Flowers! We've had a variety of weather again today: rain, wind, sunshine, wind, more rain, sunshine, and the wind is still blowing! It has cooled down quite a bit tonight so I'm not sure what is predicted for tomorrow. Maybe I can finally put my sandals away. The class competition this morning were dumb . . . the student council blew up a bunch of little balloons, enough to cover the gym floor, and then used markers to write a letter on each. The teams were blindfolded except for one member of the team; they were to spell Tornadoes by finding a correct balloon and sticking the appropriate letter balloon to a poster board. Of course the seniors cheated and there was a rucus about who really won. A waste of class time for sure. Our old principal would not allow anything to be worn on the head and this year anything goes. We are seeing red and blue (gang colors) bandanas around the heads, arms, sticking out of pockets, etc. We are going to "he** in a handbasket" pretty darned quick. I'm not even sure if that is the correct saying but you get the idea.

Rennie -- Welcome to the Steel Magnolias! I hope that you will join us! Now that you mention it, a body perm does sound rather strange. My hair has some natural curl/wave to it and I hate it when it is too curly which is usually the case and especially so when it is humid weather. I can never get it as smooth as the beautician does and the curls usually "boing" back tight by noon when I do it. I've never tried this kind of perm so hope it works. Tell us a bit about yourself! I live in Iowa as you can tell from my signature. I work with special ed. students in the local high school, am a wife, mother of a son and a daughter, and a grandmother to two grandsons and two granddaughters.

"Gma" -- Thanks for sharing the pictures. Jackson sure is growing! It's nice to see a bald headed baby! A couple of the teachers have had babies this fall and they both have a full head of dark hair! My kids and grandkids were all bald until they were 2! Glad to hear that Jack is on the mend ! I hope his tooth surgery doesn't give him any more problems.

Susan and Gloria -- Hope all is well with both of you!

I'm off to clean out the litter boxes. Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 10-02-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:00 PM   #7  
Rennie

Hello Jean
Am a mother of two. Daughter 17 tomorrow and son who will be 21 in January. My son is a special education child, goes to a school for adhd and asberger children, these last 3 years. Adhd, asberger, tourets, he has a few things. When I talk about him people are surprised to find out how old he is. He is really only about 16. People know this just from talking to him for about 15 min.

I have worked with the school all thru his education. No, I am not really blowing my own horn but hey if you don't blow your own horn sometimes no one will. Because of my determination, kids like him are being treated better, parents know they have rights and that schools have to follow IEP's rather they like it or not. These children have the right not to be picked on and so forth. Some of the teachers have loved me, I walk in and say ( heavy sigh ) " Ok, what has he done this time " lol. There are some of the teachers that have never liked me because I MAKE them do what they are suppose to do.

Everyone who knows me thinks it is pretty funny. I am painfully shy unless I am on my for those I don't think can stand up for themselves. Or here on the net where I try to make people laugh. I think laughter is the best medicine as the saying goes. Face to face I am only like this around friends I have had for a very long time.

Right now I am a stay at home mother. Have been most of the kids life, except when I worked because their father was out of work or during my divorce. I have basically always ran warehouses for a living. Am just to old to pick up and lug around the weights I use to be able to do. Looking for something close to home that isn't going to kill me, the house is costing us an arm and a leg to get fixed up. Do you know, neither of my children will give up one simple arm or leg to help out lol.

I love this site. So many people here that care about how I am doing. I really need that. Hubby's is more than supportive but he loved me before I lost weight and really couldn't have cared less if I dropped a lb. He is encouraging because he knows the extra weight, which came on from being sick and all the meds I was on, was not healthy for me. So, this means he doesn't always give me the kick in the pants I need.

I live in Ohio and we are going into my favorite part of the year, Autumn. Leaves aren't changing here quite yet but the time for that is right around the corner.

I come to the site several times a day to see what is going on. Heaven knows I wouldn't want to miss anything lol.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 02-12-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:19 AM   #8  

Good morning to all you fine ladies! Today is clean the upstairs bathrooms day. Jack went back to work so I can now get back on schedule! When he is home it is all thrown to He**. It isn't that he gets in the way, it is just the fact I hover over him if he has been ill in anyway and though I know it probably drives him nuts, he also knows I am still on pins and needles about him having anoter possible heart episode so he is very patient about it all. My head knows he is healthy and fine, the heart is having a much harder time of it! Anyway, I get nothing done on the days he is home pretty much and I really didn't get anything done yesterday as I was going through one of those menopause days where even my fingernails hurt! lol I ached all day long.

Shy Moment: I turned 54 last Friday, have been married to my best best friend Jack for almost 35 years come November, we have two kids, Jack who we call Jay, who will be 34 in just a couple weeks and Kelly, who will be 30 in November. I have two grandsons, who are on my avatar, Thomas, my sweet little redhead is 7 (my dd's son) and Jackson, who will be 4 months on his granddad's birthday next Wednesday. He is my son's little boy. I am a stay at home. As you will find out, I knit all the time and force you all to look at my projects! lol My husband is retired Navy and so we have lived all over the country, but live in Memphis now. I grew up in Northwest Indiana about 20 miles south of South Bend. In fact, my son lives 4 blocks from Notre Dame now. My dd and sil and grandson live here in Memphis, though I don't see my grandson much as I would like. I have never had a career, just worked when money was an issue, at whatever I could find. I did work after my kids were in high school, teaching mentally disabled adults who were profoundly ******ed. I did that for several years, but that is very stressful and I had to quit. I then worked for 7 years as the litigation file manager and I loved that. When we moved here, I worked for a year, got fed up with the office manager and quit and never went back to work. I enjoy staying home with my Yorkie, Fortune and my Tabby, Butterscotch and knitting and reading.

Jean: Does the current prinicipal have his or her head in the sand clear to their naval? I mean, besides tats, the biggest way they declare their gang affiliation is with the doorag thing. Besides, they have no need to be wearing stuff on their head in school anyway. Of course, that might limit what girls can wear in their hair unless it is stipulated, ie barrettes, headbands, etc. Sounds like you are having a whopper of a year already.

Maggie: We sure do miss you and wish you could come in and post with us again. I know wherever you are that you and Will are having a grand old time traveling around the country!

Susan and Gloria: Hope all is well with both of you, Stand and Jack.

The first game of the division playoff is tonight and Jay called last night to talk to his dad about the roster. He then talked to me to let me know Matty Murton, my favorite player (he's a redhead so guess why! lol) is playing. Jackson was howling in the background (I figure mom was working) so he goes and gets him and says, "Talk to Nonny. Mom talk to him." So I started talking to him and then I said, "Why don't we sing our favorite song?" and started singing, "How Much is that Doggy in the Window?" I sang it to him when he was born to quiet him. It got quiet right away and I heard Jay say, "Well, I'll be damned!" "Mom he likes it!" I said, "Of course he does. He remembers Nonny singing it to him." Both my grandson's have "songs." Thomas liked, "Favorite Things, His Eye is on the Sparrow and Shortnen' Bread." I used to sing "Shortnen' Bread" to both my kids and to my nieces and nephews when they were babies. Jack said the way I talk to babies soothes them. Must be lots different from the loud mouth Indiana/southern twang combo I have now! lol

My oldest sister emailed me and said that my stepfather's dd had called her and they found mom's cedar chest and did we want it? Well, that belonged to my grandmother so yes we want it and so I told my sister to go and get it and when I go up there in Oct we can go through what is in it. He was living in filth and I am sure it hasn't even been opened since my mom died 10 years ago so considering they lived out in the country could have mice stuff, bugs and what all. I sure hope not as you know me and rodents! I told both sisters I felt the cedar chest should go to my oldest sister because she is the oldest. I just wonder what the heck is in it.

Boy, I have lined up the knitting projects again. I have the yarn to make the baby a pair of felted slippers and as soon as I hear from the knitting website about a color combination I had a question about, I will order yarn to make Thomas a pair too so they have new slippers for Christmas. I am waiting for the yarn to be shipped for my younger sister's bolero sweater and the one for my best friend's bolero. I have the back about 2/3 of the way done on my oldest sister's long sweater vest and since I didn't even touch it yesterday, I need to get on it.

Hope everyone has a good hump day. It is still hotter than the devil here. I think it was 88 yesterday and we are in for more of the same today.

Faye
Old 10-03-2007, 11:31 AM   #9  
Rennie

Gma
I love to crochet and embroider and quilt. I would love to learn to knit, while my great grandmother and my grandmother did this. No one would take the time to teach me. Is it hard to learn? Would I need someone to teach me?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:01 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy Moment View Post
Gma
I love to crochet and embroider and quilt. I would love to learn to knit, while my great grandmother and my grandmother did this. No one would take the time to teach me. Is it hard to learn? Would I need someone to teach me?
This is the absolute best site to learn to knit. It will teach you everything you need to know. No knitting is not hard to learn to do, but then it is much harder for me because I am left handed and knit left handed.

www.knittinghelp.com
Old 10-03-2007, 12:31 PM   #11  
Rennie

gma
Thanks for the site.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 10-04-2007 at 01:44 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:10 PM   #12  

Good afternoon, ladies! Once again Stan is having surgery tomorrow. The infection is still at the top of his graft - it broke open again on Thursday. Tomorrow they are going to remove the AV Graft, clean it out and close it up and put in a new catheter. I'm really upset that it's been going on since May and now the graft has to come out. Last month was the first month he had a great report from dialysis and his blood was really cleaning well. With the catheter they can't run the machine as fast so his blood doesn't get as clean.
Always something at our house. I just feel so bad for him. He never complains, just goes with whatever comes along.

Shy Moment - I am a native Buckeye. I was born and lived in Akron, Ohio for the first 47 years of my live, moving to VA 19 years ago when the rubber industry left Akron. My husband was a chef until ill health forced him to retire. He has end stage renal failure, congestive heart failure, is an amputee and in a wheelchair. I am 66 and work 20 hours a week as an Office Manager/Network Administrator. My husband has an aide that comes in 4 hours a day to assist him while I work. We have no children and were both only children so have no close family. I have asthma and am hypothyroid. I go to Curves 4-5 times a week - it has been wonderful for me and I feel a whole lot better. I am an avid quilter, have a few awards I've won locally and nationally. Hand applique and hand quilting are my forte. I do some machine piecing and quilting on bed quilts. I knit and I've done crochet, needlepoint and cross stitch - but quilting comes first. I am knitting a pair of socks now. I always have to have something in my hands.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:28 PM   #13  
Rennie

Quilter
You will know where I live then. Right by Portage lakes state park. Little sleepy town outside Akron. I am sorry to hear about your husband. I sure hope the get things fixed for him. To go thru so much, has to be hard on him. I am sure it is also very hard on you.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:17 AM   #14  

Good Evening, Flowers! It's been another beautiful day in my corner of the world! The guys are back in the fields after the weekend rain so Bob just got home. The elevator stayed open later and they filled the trucks and wagons before calling it a day. I had bell choir tonight and we will play again the 14th which is our regular Sunday to play. It is supposed to be warmer this weekend and I was planning on wearing a long sleeved jacket/suit to church for the reunion shindig. Decisions, decisions, decisioins . . . .

Rennie -- We lived in N. Olmsted for almost 4 years back in the '70s. We loved the winters there! My best friend from high school was living in Akron at the time as well as a couple who lived next door to my husband's family when he was growing up. They were both professors at the university there. We made quite a few trips back and forth. IEPs leave a lot to be desired on both sides. I don't know about Ohio but here they change the format every year. How long can a special ed. student stay in school in Ohio? Here they are done at 21. I would venture to say very few of our parents even read the IEPs let alone understand them. Most of the parents have to have a translator at their meetings. I admire you for taking on the system when necessary. It's too bad more parents don't.

"Gma" -- Are you ready for the white glove visit? Our temporary principal is just putting in her time and signing official papers. She lets the asst. principal do the talking before the student body. Rumor has it that the asst. will become principal next year and that is scary for sure! He should have stayed in the classroom and I don't have a clue what kind of teacher he was, but he certainly is not a consistent administrator. It will be interesting to see what is in the cedar chest. I have my mother's and it is full of wool blankets or at least the top layer is.

Susan -- I'm so sorry to hear about Stan! I thought maybe there was trouble when we didn't see you for a few days. I hope that the surgery goes well for him. You two certainly have had more than your fair share!

I am heading for bed! Have a terrific Thursday tomorrow and remember to !

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 10-04-2007, 12:38 AM   #15  
Rennie

My son has been going to a charter school for adhd and asberger children for 3 years now. This is his 3d year.

He was suppose to graduate at age 19, started later than some kids. I had children to take care of them not shove them into a day care and sure not to put them in school as soon as I could. In ohio if your child is 6 by september something they have to go to school. Mine didn't turn 6 until after that date so they started a year later.

You might be surprised how many people out here don't toss their kids into school so they don't have to take care of them or so they don't have to pay day care. Lots and lots of kids are 18 and 19 when they graduate.

We kept him in an extra year because his reading skills just weren't where they needed to be and he still had one more profiency test to pass. They can stay in school until 21 or 22. They are only keeping him this year to sharpen his reading and math skills a bit, just like last year and he loves the Martial arts program they have at this school. In the spring we are going to have him try a few college classes and see how it goes. So he will go to high school for a couple of classes and then do his college classes in the evening.

When his iep is made. I am right there. Don't really understand any other way. I have always been right there. I decide if what is in it is what he needs right along with them. They don't always like it. To darn bad.

His freshman year I was told by the teachers, the principal and most of the others at our iep meeting ( at our local high school ) he was doing as well as he ever would. The special education teachers assured me he just couldn't do any better thats just how it was. I should stop pushing him so hard and " expecting the impossible from them ". Their words not mine. He would NEVER pass the proficiency tests. Welllllllllllllllllllllll he has pasted the tests, no help from them. And is now reading on grade level and doing math at grade level. No thanks to them either.

He was just to much work for them and they didn't want to bother. I feel so sorry for the parents and students that just don't understand if they stick to their guns the schools have the obligation to teach their children and not push them aside. These kids are protected by law, just have to know your and their rights.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 10-04-2007 at 12:50 AM.