Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 12:24 PM   #1  

Default Career Thread

Hope some of you join me here! The idea is to have a structured place to plan for job/career changes. Unless you get downsized, this is such an easy task to put off, but can make such a huge impact on quality of life.

Here are my thoughts on the steps necessary to make a positive career move:

1. Research careers
2. Obtain training/experience necessary for desired career
3. Compile resume
4. Research specific jobs available
5. Research company to which you will apply
6. Tailor resume to specific job
7. Craft cover letter for specific company and job
8. Apply for job
9. Follow up on application
10. Prepare for interview
11. Knock them dead, negotiate killer package
12. Blissfully start new career
13. Win lottery. Quit Job

I recently found a company that has two jobs that sound great so I am going to start on step 5.

Personal goals for these 2 jobs:

Research company via website: Friday 4-12
Collect together old resume and resume writing books, redo resume tailored to these 2 jobs: Friday 4-12
Write knowledgable, compelling cover letter for each position: Saturday 4-13
Disseminate resumes and cover letters to family and friends for review: Saturday 4-13
Incorporate feedback into documents: Sunday 4-14
Send 2 applications: Sunday 4-14

Once this is done, I will make a plan assuming I don't get either of these jobs and wait to see what I here.

Sorry this is a fairly weak start to this thread. I will work on this AFTER I get out these first 2 applications. Anyone is free to join me here!
Old 04-12-2002, 02:19 PM   #2  

"Once this is done, I will make a plan assuming I don't get either of these jobs and wait to see what I here. "

here s/b hear

Do you need me to review your resume????

You're plan looks great!!
Good luck.
Old 04-12-2002, 03:00 PM   #3  

Hmm... Maybe I should go back into waitressing - it's fun, you get some exercise and no SPELLING!
Old 04-12-2002, 03:35 PM   #4  
Phat Chick

Old 04-12-2002, 10:47 PM   #5  

Bailey,

That didn't look weak at all. You definately are on the right track. We both can use Liz to proof for us. I think this job board needs an official spell checker. Liz your hired.

My resume is up to date, so that is one item off the list. My big challenge is to decide how much of a pay cut I am willing to live with. It is hard to decide on that.

I have decided that I am not doing anything until I get back from Mexico unless I am suddenly finding myself without a job. I may even wait even if that happens.

Nanci
Old 04-13-2002, 10:32 PM   #6  

Hey -- Backfor 2002: your should be you're! (Smart spelling and grammar obviously go with the name Liz!)

Anyway, I'm not making a career change, but I think this is a great idea for a thread. I gained most of my weight during my career preparation stage, otherwise known as graduate school. Career issues are definitely stressful, leading us to food as a way to cope, making us then feel uncomfortable and inadequate when it comes to getting out there and making our dreams come true.

Your plan for getting a job sounds about right. I'm a professor of management, and career issues are one of my things (although I tend to focus on early career issues). The job market is not so exciting right now, at least here in the US, so you really need to go the extra mile.

What's really ironic re: weight and careers, is that I know so many women, like me, who are very well educated and successful in so many areas of their lives -- except for managing their weight! I need to apply those management motivational principles to myself and motivate that weight off!

Good Luck in the career/job search!
Old 04-18-2002, 09:47 AM   #7  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Hey All,

I was surfing around Monster.com yesterday and found a really cool Exec. Asst. job in the building across the street from DH!! It for the management company for the office park he's in. It would cut my commute time in half, it's only about 8 miles from home, and DH & I could probably commute together, depending on what the hours are.

The best part is, DH called his contact person at the company and she said to have me send my resume to her, and she'll pass it on to the HR person with a good word for me!! So I did, and she sent me an email this AM saying she gave it to the HR person and told them that she's been working with my DH for soo many years and what a hard worker he is, that she's sure his wife is just as hard working!! Hopefully they'll call me!!

I haven't been seriously looking, just surfing Monster.com every now and then and there's really not much out there. As much as I like my job (well, the freedom of not having a boss in the office, and being pretty much on my own) this would be really cool.

Stay tuned...
Old 04-18-2002, 10:44 AM   #8  

That's Great LBH! Hope it works out.

Lizabee: Thanks for the interesting reply
Old 04-19-2002, 09:23 AM   #9  
LBH

Update!!

The HR person left me a message at home yesterday saying she'd like to bring me in to talk about my qualifications and experience!! I'm going in Tuesday AM at 9:00!! I'm really excited!!

Now I have to try and get a haircut this weekend and I need to get some sterling silver earrings, because I only have a couple pairs of 14K gold and the suit I have is navy with silver buttons. It wouldn't look good to wear gold earrings, would it?? What about my gold chain with the diamond heart on it that I never take off?? Should I switch it for a silver chain? How about if I just keep that and wear my diamond stud earrings, then could I get away with the gold??

Unfortunately I'm super busy at work next week with orientation and auditors!! But, they'll just have to do without me Tuesday AM!!
Old 04-19-2002, 11:16 AM   #10  

YEAY!!!! Great big happy dance for LBH!!!

Not sure about the jewels - will think it over when I have more time and let ya know what I think.
Old 04-20-2002, 12:27 AM   #11  

Ok I just typed a reply and it disappeared :-(

Congrats Lauren! I will be thinking of you on Tuesday.

I would skip the necklace if your suit has silver buttons. Normally I would say no problem but for an interview I would go with simple and polished.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2002, 12:44 PM   #12  

Lauren, how'd your interview go?? Thinking of you...

I wasn't planning on doing any job hunting. I'm fairly happy at my current place it's just that it isn't challenging anymore and there's no room for growth. Not to mention our contract runs out in two years and the plans after that are to lay us all off. Soooo, I found a really incredible job opportunity -- it was right on the screen looking at me saying "this is for you" so I sent them my application a little while ago. It's a little farther away but there would be tons of opportunities. The bad thing is that if I quit my job I am giving up two MAJOR bonuses and two years of the cushiest job in the world.

Who know what'll happen. Bailey, thanks for your run-down on what to do and when to do it.
Old 04-23-2002, 06:47 PM   #13  

Lauren - we are all thinking of you!!

Liz - Well done! Let us know how it turns out!

(Bailey, starter of the $@#& thread, kicks self in heiny for NOT JUST DOING THIS)
Old 04-24-2002, 02:57 PM   #14  

Well, I e-mailed my app over just before lunch yesterday and then afterwards decided to go back and check out their website and learn everything about the company (not the proper order of doing things but...). The posting was gone -- not listed anymore on their website or the local paper's website where I discovered it. So I don't know what that means. Maybe I was too late???? Oh well, if I was they have my info in case something comes up in the future.

Bailey, if ya want I'll proof your resume. I don't think we have the same background but I'll give you advice if I have any. My home e-mail is [email protected].

Let me know, cuz I don't check that address but once a week.
Old 04-24-2002, 04:12 PM   #15  
LBH

Update!

Guess I should've posted about the interview here...DUH!! Anyway, the short of it is, I think things went very well, it should've considering I was there for 3 1/2 hrs.!! I'm thinking as long as the pay is very generous (see weekly thread for details), I'll take it...assuming they offer it to me!!

Have to get my thank you's our today! Thanks for the support!
Closed Thread