General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-01-2007, 04:27 PM   #1  
BLACK TEAM

S/C/G: 225/219.5/140

Height: 5'5

Default Arts & Crafts

Any other crafters or artists out there? I am really interested in sharing project pics! I myself knit and I have been on a kick the last couple of months making hanging kitchen towels for my friends/family. Right now I'm working on Halloween themed ones for my gma and mom.

I'd love to see other people's work-- whether it be watercolors, photography, crocheting, quilting, or whatever!
misschris531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:30 PM   #2  
hara hachi bu

Very cute! I don't do a lot of crafts right now, but I do a lot of drawing.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #3  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I wish I was crafty...about the only thing I do is make wreaths and scrapbook. But I LOVE your towel! So cute!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:53 PM   #4  
BLACK TEAM

Thanks guys! I don't make the towels themselves, I buy them at the dollar store, but I cut them in half and then each half becomes it's own hanging style towel (+ knitted top & button).
Old 10-01-2007, 05:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I am a craft-a-holic. My craft room has spilled over into the rest of the house, and I'm trying to get it back in (really, I am - though my husband would say I'm not trying hard enough). I can't help it. The stuff crawls out of the bins and follows me to the living room, really. Well, anyway it seems like it.

I'm trying to learn to knit, but can't get the hang of the purl stitch (yeah, I know it's crazy). A knitter frined didn't understand when I told her I could do the knit stitch, but not the purl stitch, because I said I could do a stockinette stitch. She said that if I could do a stockinette stitch then I could do a purl, because the stitch is just alternating rows of knit and purl. That's when I first realized you're supposed to turn your work. I was working a knit stitch left to right, and then doing the next row right to left.

I'm working on an afghan right now combining rows of knitting with rows of afghan stitch and rows of halfdouble crochet. It provides sort of a safety net, because if my knitting starts to unravel, if I can't get it under control, I can rip it out to the crocheted part. I'm using long afghan hooks as knitting needles.

I wouldn't have thought of it if I hadn't read in a book on the history of needles that some knitting needles in some areas had or have hooks.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 177/171.2/154

Height: 5' 5.5"

I love to crochet. My new favorite thing is making baby stuff for myself or friends. Baby blankets are shorter than regular and the little outfits are just SO cute.
I took up knitting for a while, but just got a little bored because of the repetitive stitches.
We are trying to save $$ around here, so I think everyone will get something crocheted this Christmas... better start soon!
Here is a baby outfit I crocheted for a friend of mine's baby girl (who is 2 months older than Mollie):
http://bp3.blogger.com/_C3wpqzb9_bI/...h/IMG_0458.JPG

Last edited by mom2mollie; 10-01-2007 at 05:33 PM.
mom2mollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:03 PM   #7  
BLACK TEAM

kaplods-- were you using double pointed needles? lol that's a funny story about the purl stitch, at any rate.

I taught myself to knit (mostly) from one of those thin 10-pgs books you can buy in the craft section of any Wal-Mart, etc. I was about 11 or 12. I didn't really get into it at the time. When I was 15 I picked it up again and made my first scarf (a horrible variagated varying-widths Red Heart number... lol-- of course I wore it everywhere). Then I started branching out. I have made a lot of baby blankets and even sold some. It's a fun hobby.

mom2mollie-- that is such an adorable little outfit! It's so delicate-- you must use a really small hook (or whatever it's called)... I personally cannot crochet to save my life!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

No they were standard single point needles, with the little flared end. I've always been slightly ambidextrous, and even though I'm left-handed can write legibly (though not as neatly) with my right hand. I can't think of the knitting history book I was talking about, but it also mentioned that in some area, this was actually the standard form of knitting. This is still the method I'm using for the afghan. So basically, I do right handed knitting one direction, and left handed knitting the other direction, and only turn my work if I want the faux "purl" stitches on the right side of the work. The needles I'm working on know are afghan or tunisian crochet hooks (tunisian crochet is another name for afghan stitches, which is an older form of crochet, and is more like knitting in that instead of completing one stitch at a time, a series of loops is created in one row and finished in another). It basically is as long as a knitting needle, and has a flared end, and a hook end. They, like knitting needles also do come in a double-ended form (but don't have any in my collection).

My mom and grandmother taught me to crochet when I was about 5. I can follow intermediate crochet patterns, but I much prefer basic stitches and easy designs, especially now that I'm on disability. When I'm feeling lousy, I need a simple, easy to follow pattern that I can do without thinking.

I couldn't follow a knitting pattern to save my life, especially since I've just barely figured out how to do the purl stitch (I actually learned it on a "knifty knitter," knitting loom first). If my fingers are really stiff, the knitting loom is a nice alternative, because I don't drop any stitches.

This year I discovered felting, and I love it, but the yarn is a little expensive, so I've not gotten too deep into it. Besides, I promised hubby I would use up most of my stash before buying more. My husband and I are also making Christmas presents this year, as we did last year. I couldn't believe how much everyone liked the afghans. When we visited my family in Illinois last month, I mentioned that I would be making gifts again this year, and asked if they wanted more afghans or something else, and they all wanted afghans except my nephews who picked out crocheted slippers from a book I had. The slippers look like High-top Converse tennis shoes, and we traced their feet for me to use for sizing (the boys are 3 and 6).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:44 AM   #9  
Black Team TBL-WMB

S/C/G: 177/173/140

Height: 5'6'

I like plastic canvas and scrap booking and I am trying to learn quilting. Tried knitting and crocheting but did not have the patients for it. Crafting is a great stress reliever for me any ways.
losinitin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:10 PM   #10  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

MolliesMom....that is the cutest outfit and the baby is adorable! You did a good job!

You ladies are so talented. I have wanted to learn to knit & crochet for years, just to chicken to try. And needlepoint. I actually have a couple of things I bought that I want to try and have yet to do so.

My friend on another thread knits and has knitted a lot of awesome stuff, sweaters for herself hubby,shawls, socks, geez, I can't remember what else...she is very good at it though.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:25 PM   #11  
hara hachi bu

I want to learn to crochet or knit, simply because I want a Dr. Who scarf! LOL
Old 10-02-2007, 06:01 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My brother just sent me some photos of a sweater that my Mom just finished knitting. Wow. She has knitted since I don't know when (she's in her 80's) and nothing slows her down! I own several sweaters and a beautiful afghan that she knit for me. It's hard to wear a lot of them, though, since I live in the desert.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:47 PM   #13  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Definitely another crafter, here . . .

Knit (and purl ), Crochet, Quilt, Cross Stitch, Tole Paint, Bead Work . . . I tend to go in waves and the current wave is crocheting. Usually design my own patterns. Almost always have more than one or two (or half a dozen) things on the go at the same time. With Christmas looming on the horizon, I've been working on crocheted slippers recently and have four different afghans on the go.

Will try to dig out some pictures of recently finished projects to post.

BTW . . . Colleen . . . if you work on either a set of four/five needles or a circular needle (for socks, for example), you get stocking stitch (that's how it got that name) without ever having to do a purl stitch -- just plain knitting in circles.

Have a great evening, Chickies . . . keep those hands busy . . . definitely difficult to eat while your hands are occupied.

Last edited by meowee; 10-02-2007 at 08:48 PM.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:54 PM   #14  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I hand-sew 50's housewife half aprons. With pockets. And lace.

I'm super excited (please forgive my geekiness) because I think my Christmas present from my sister in law is going to be a double-helix DNA scarf like the one seen here:

Please don't judge me for being a dweeb.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:25 PM   #15  
hara hachi bu

Mandalinn - Oh wow, the aprons sound super-cute! Got pictures? Hey, the link to the DNA scarf didn't show?

I make body scrubs out of sugar and oils, does that count?