Old 09-28-2007, 12:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/SeeTicker/155

Height: 5' 9"

Default Cutting Back/One Day At A Time/Anywhere I Am ... Thread

Hi all,

I am in desperation mode. Lost almost 50 lbs. a couple of years ago, have gained most of it back now, and can't get in the mood for a full-out diet program. SO ....

For the last two days, I've been cutting back (1800 calories yesterday/1500 today, instead of my usual 3000+), and I did an hour of water aerobics yesterday. I'm going to try to do better one day at a time, not make myself any big promises but just do the best I can today. Then tomorrow I'll tackle tomorrow, and see if I make some progress. I probably weigh about 224 now, and if I'm 223 this time next week, I'll consider that success.

Everyday, whether I'm here or traveling, as I often do, I'm going to try this philosophy, and report in here, even if it's just to myself. If anyone wants to hop on board, I'd love your company.

BTW, I'm a 60-ish Granny from the Southeast U.S., love travel, cooking & cookbooks, reading, and sports. I'm also a bit of a TV addict to my favorite shows.

Here's to everybody who's "walking this walk" ...
babenwaiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:08 AM   #2  

Good morning, World!

Two successful days under my belt, and going for the third. One thing that keeps me on the straight and narrow is to have the healthy food in the house, and plan my meals a couple of days ahead. Yesterday, it was Veggie Pitas for dinner, and today we'll do grilled salmon outside. I have all the stuff for a big salad to go with it, and water aerobics are on my afternoon exercise menu.

Any friends from "old threads" peaking in? Please pop in and say "hi", even if you don't plan to stay! Anyone who would like to stay, you're welcome. Monday will be weigh-in day, I think ...
Old 09-30-2007, 10:21 PM   #3  

Reporting in again ... 3 out of 4 days have gone very well. I took a day off for a BBQ yesterday, and a couple of glasses of wine too many but that's real life, isn't it? Today, I was back to 1600 calories and did a 35-min. walk. Hoping to see some of my old buddies drop in soon ... Any company would be welcome!
Old 10-01-2007, 01:08 PM   #4  
Day 1 back on plan...

S/C/G: 244/tickers/175

Hi there!

Sounds like your getting back on track. I started out slowly this last time too. I started with drinking water and slowly changing those habits. I'm down 5.2 I try and eat lowfat /healthy during the week and then one day on the weekend have a cheat day. I usually eat something I have been craving during the week. Sometimes there is a little gain but so far once I get back on plan it comes back off.
Losing4another is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:22 PM   #5  

Losing, it is GREAT to see you! Hope you'll drop in now and then, and keep me company. I've had a good day, about 1600 cals., a session of water aerobics and am planning a walk tomorrow. I won't weigh until about Thursday when I've been on plan for a week.

Sounds like your new plan is going well, Losing. So glad that you're down 5+ lbs. and will be happy when I can say that. for you! Where do you live in Florida? I was just at some of your beaches for a couple of weeks, then in horse country (near Ocala) for a few days. I guess you've been lucky in regard to hurricanes so far this year. Maybe it will be another eventless year like last year was! I hope so for both of us ... They like to come to North Carolina, too!

Have a good night!

Olivia

Last edited by babenwaiting; 10-01-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:57 PM   #6  
Day 1 back on plan...

S/C/G: 244/tickers/175

Good job Olivia
I'm not keeping track of calories just yet. I know the more I lose the less I can eat so I will have to get out that pin and paper once I stop losing. Only big change really is I don't eat snacks like chips, little debbie snack cakes, Ice cream ....you know all the good stuff I moved to diet soda and come to think of it ...don't have 3/4 of the sugar I had in my diet before.
Your back from traveling right? I bet when traveling it's hard to stay on track with all the eating out you have to do.
I live a pretty long ways from Ocala. We drove up there 2 years ago to pick my dog up from a breeder. WOW! it was a longer drive than I though it would be... Almost 5 hrs but we had kids so we could have made better time without them. I live about 45min/an hour southeast of Orlando. I'm close to the coast as well I'm very thankful that the hurricane season has been nice to us. October is the most active month so hopefully the last few weeks of hurricane season will go by quietly. ***FINGERS CROSSED**We did get tons of rain yesterday night though. The water was half way up my lawn A few neighbors had most of theirs yards underwater. It did remind me of hurricane rains.
I'm down another pound and a half. YAY!!!!
Losing4another is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:25 PM   #7  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

babe, hi there. Thanks for the thread. I need something too. I've just been falling further and further into an inert funk and though I at times have moments and even days of motivation and movement, I am soon back to where I was. I'm thinking that I need something like this, just to say I'm cutting back on what I know was eating and drinking. I'll try to keep you company a bit. I'm writing everything down I put in my mouth. Did it yesterday...well, most of it and plan to continue. If I can't do that it means I'm eating too much, closing my eyes to it all and going hog wild...then I wonder where the fat came from. Sigh. Good luck! And Losing, too!
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:41 PM   #8  

Happy Saturday Red Balloon and Losing ... so happy to have you both with me. Weight-wise, I'm about the same. I saw a trainer on Wednesday, who set up a program for me again on the weight machines, which I will start next week. Also, this morning I did a good, long, "sweaty" walk. I am sputtering a little some days, but eventually I will really get going, and I know you guys will do great too.

I'm in a little bit of a hurry right now, but just wanted to welcome you, RedBalloon, and say hey to you today, Losing. You girls have a great weekend.

Cheers,
Olivia

Last edited by babenwaiting; 10-06-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:11 AM   #9  
Never give up

Thanks, babenwaiting, for the wonderful welcome! Since I'm in Tokyo, I'm well into Sunday already but never mind, I'm used to be totally out of kilter with the States and threads there. Er, maybe I'm just used to being totally out of kilter....cough, cough. Sounds good on your walk, babe. Good for you! I've been riding today and have been writing down everything that goes into my mouth. It actually helps me think about things and though I'm allowing myself anything at all as long as I write it down, I do check myself. It's embarrassing to write everything down but that's the rule I've made for myself. I know as soon as I start gorging that I stop writing and I'm going to not let that happen this time! Ok, talk later. I've got some hours left on Sunday here. Dangerous hours are coming up. I am going to try to learn to sit with myself and NOT eat.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:53 AM   #10  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Just passing by

Good morning, babenwaiting, Just passing by, but stopped to wish you well. Sounds like you have a sane plan in one day at a time. So, I wish you well for today Walking is my aerobics exercise. I can get the heart rate up and see a goodly chunk of one neighborhood or another.

Good evening (in Tokyo), redballoon, It's nice to see an ex-pat using kilograms When (if) you return, perhaps you can work to convert us all to metric. The USA is moving SO slowing in that direction.

Waving at Losing4another. May all your hurricanes be gentle ones.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:12 AM   #11  
Never give up

Bill, heh there. Yeah, 25 years here, five more out of the States, I should be using metric. I can use 'em both, though I can't tell you temperature without a conversion chart! I forget that most Americans are not used to metric at all. It is odd trying to explain the English system here though (not that I do). Seems so bizarre. Anyhow, look at you! Congratulations on your weight loss! Wish you'd stick around and show us how to do it one day at a time. I tend to revert back to old ways after about three days....

Last edited by redballoon; 10-07-2007 at 04:14 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:06 PM   #12  

Hey there BillBlueEyes, Losing and Red Balloon,

Thank you, BBE, for your good wishes. Please stop by and say hi anytime! You did great losing your weight in six months ... I wish you much continued success maintaining!

RedBalloon & Losing, I've finally had a good day (1400 calories). I really, really must get back to writing everything down as I think doing that does make me think twice before I gobble a giant bowl of something! My weight was actually 226 () this morning, but I think that was the salty stuff I ate all weekend, and am hoping a lot water. I have my fingers crossed for 224 tomorrow.

RedBalloon, yes, we do have to learn to just sit quietly "with ourselves" and not eat! You are so right. Good for you for getting your riding in. I have relatives who will visit Japan during Christmas. I assume you love it there since you've been there so long. Are you there for the long run or do you have plans to move back to the U.S. at some point???

Losing, I hope all is going well, and that the scale is continuing to sneak on down for you. I wish we could get some of your rain here in North Carolina!!! And yes, it is misery to try to diet when you're traveling, and I'm ready to drive/travel again for about 10 days, to see foliage and family in New England. I'm going to try much harder this trip to keep everything under control! I leave the end of the week, and will report from the road!

Any newbies who peek in here, please feel free to post with us. We would love to have the company!

Cheers,
Olivia
Old 10-09-2007, 03:23 AM   #13  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Hello from New England

Have a nice trip, babenwaiting You'll be traveling through New England right in the middle of baseball's American League playoffs and (hopefully) the World Series. Don't count on getting tickets

hmmmmm ... so my avatar isn't so clear - will have to rethink how to present that. My weight loss took place over 18 months; I've maintained my current weight for 6 months. It's been two years on the healthy lifestyle journey so far.

Waving to losing Congratulats on ditching "snacks like chips, little debbie snack cakes, Ice cream". My biggest overeating was unbounded snacks. It works for me to have 3 scheduled snacks of about 100 calories. That both solves the legitimate hunger issue as well as gives me a mental way to pass on food of opportunity that appears; I know a snack is coming soon.

I share your concern, redballoon, that I might "revert back to old ways". Am constantly aware of how many people I know who have regained what they lost. 3fc has a bunch of people who have maintained for several years. They're my idols.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:36 AM   #14  

BBE, maybe others are not misunderstanding your avatar ... maybe just "moi!" Anyway, just wanted to say that I'm happy to hear you lost your weight over 18 months, as that's probably the perfect loss rate, with your body having time to adjust. I'd lost 45 lbs. in a year, and if I'd kept going for another six months ... man, I could kick myself. So now, I have to lose 36 of those AGAIN, and start from there!!! Oh, well, all that water is under the bridge ... BBE, I'm very much cheering for your Red Sox, though I won't be able to go to a game. I was so happy to see the Yankees lose last night ... that's one good thing. THEY won't be winning the World Series this year, right? But I'll be watching the games on TV, if I can.

Well, gang, I had dropped a pound of my "weekend salt weight" by this morning, and maybe tomorrow I'll manage to be down a bit more. It's too hot to walk here today, but I've got so much to do to get ready to travel that at least I won't be just a couch potato.

Have a good day, all!

Cheers,
Olivia

Last edited by babenwaiting; 10-09-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:27 PM   #15  
Never give up

babe, excellent work on the 1400 calories! Wow, I need days like that. I have been writing things down, but the weight is up...I know I shouldn't think about weight a day at a time and I'm not really, but it's a bit scary because I'm not counting calories, just writing things down. Anyhow, that's the initial plan. I've noticed that when I write everything down it seems like more food has gone into me, but when I later look it over, it doesn't seem like as much. Good thing, I guess.