Old 09-23-2007, 10:16 PM   #1  

Exclamation Help

Hello Everyone! I'm needing to loose 145 lbs. I want to do this safely and healthy. Does anyone have any suggestions?
toye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 336/280/218/150

Height: 5'7"

Thumbs up

toye!

You've absolutely made the right step by coming here. There are all kinds of WL (weight loss) programs supported here. I would suggest asking questions and find one that suits you, your metabolism and your lifestyle. You probably already know what doesn't work for you, and that water and exercise are big components in losing weight. Get a scale, get a tape measure, and get ready to start.

Don't worry about slip ups, or short absences from posting - we all go thru things like that, and we all know and understand. The important thing is that you are here, and that you keep striving for your goal.

We seem to have very similar goals. If you ever want to PM me, go ahead. I will support you the best I can. I am on the Atkins diet - I have researched it, read countless articles and studies, and I am committed to it. It works for me. If it is something you might be willing to try, come on over to the Atkins and other lo carb forums.

If you don;t think Atkins is for you, by all means, pm me anyways anytime, and check out all the other great forums here - weight watchers, south beach, the zone, you name it, someone here has tried it.

Good on ya for coming here. I know you will quickly find a home.

All the best in your success!
Laura G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:31 PM   #3  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Like Laura G said, WELCOME!

I'm a calorie counter, but I also encourage you to look around and see what works for you, and what's something that you can stick to--long term.

Again, WELCOME!
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:51 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

Welcome! We are all about doing it safely and healthily here. I guess the best advice I would have for you is to find a food program that works for you - and it looks like Laura gave you tons of good examples - decide on an exercise program, and get started. Then, when you have those tons of questions that all of us inevitably have, post those, either here or in one of the other forums. Or if you are frustrated or excited or confused or whatever, share these as well. 3FC is a great place to be for support and information! Glad to have you here.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Welcome! There are so many choices, but I think that each person needs to find what works for them. Best thing you can do is probably to start off by paying attention to what you do eat, maybe watching portions... and then read read read! Learn about what's out there and think hard about what might work for you.

I'm a calorie counter and write down everything I eat. I try to make healthy choices. I also exercise regularly (even though I don't always want to) and am committed to my healthier lifestyle.

Last edited by Heather; 09-23-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

Welcome, welcome, welcome! I'm doing South Beach Diet (SBD) and I like it. It's more restrictive in some ways and less in others than calorie counting (which I was doing before). But its working for me and I'm enjoying it. My biggest piece of advice would be to find a form of exercise you enjoy. I was struggling really hard to do anything, eat right, exercise, etc. until DH got me to try racquetball. When I discovered I enjoyed playing racquetball, everything fell into place.

3FC rocks and I'm glad you've found us!
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:39 AM   #7  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

Welcome, toye! Great to have you here!

Everyone else has summed it up - it's about finding a programme that works for *you*. I started off on Weight Watchers, but am now calorie counting, but you name the diet and someone here will be on it!

You'll get lots of support from the lovely ladies (and gents) on the forum, so post often and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone's bound to have the answer - if not, we'll all have opinions to share...

Looking forward to hearing more about you,
Nicole
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:18 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hello and welcome to 3FC.

You've gotten some great advice already. Just know that losing 145 lbs is absolutely, positively, without a doubt possible. And that YOU most certainly CAN lose the weight.

I too count calories, as it is the only thing that keeps me from overeating. It's my version of portion control - and it works - for me. Yup, we've all gotta find our own way. I not only count calories, I also choose to eat a very healthy diet as well. I eat mostly low fat proteins, and tons and tons of veggies and some fruit. Many people eat whole grains as well. This doesn't work for me, because I have a hard time keeping the portions low. The high quality food helps to keep me full the longest (the protein and fiber do that)and keep my cravings for the bad stuff at bay. Not to mention it provides me with essential vitamins and minerals. You might want to check out Fitday.com. It's an on line calorie counter.

I also feel it is absolutely ESSENTIAL to rid your home of ALL junk foods. If they're not there - you can't eat them. Make sure though to stock up on healthy foods. Lots of veggies, fruits, low fat cottage cheese, fat free yogurt, chicken and turkey breast, high fiber cereal and eggs just to name a few.

For me planning is also key. I make sure that I know ahead of time what I am going to eat for the day. I never leave things to chance, too risky. If I know that I have good and delicious food on plan, well then there's no reason to go off plan.

Exercise is also a crucial element to any healthy lifestyle. Start out slowly, even a 15 minute walk, several times a week and then slowly increase it.

Take a look around, there's lots of good information here. Experiment with some new healthy recipes. Get excited and get into it. Remember that every time you say no to the high calorie/high quantity food, you are one step closer to a healthier, more productive and active and happier life. I wish you the best of luck on this very exciting journey you're about to embark on.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:29 AM   #9  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Hi and welcome.......
There are alot of different ways to lose weight, some people join different organizations( WW, Jenny .....), others do it themselves. I would say doing it slow is best , you need to remember you have alot to loose, it will come off, but it is going to take time.
I , myself, exercise, and watch calories.... it is hard, but the weight is coming off. There are times( past 3 days ), I have trouble, but you brush yourself off, and get back on the ball. If you want this bad enough I believe you can do it!! Hope you stick around.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:53 AM   #10  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Toye! I'm looking forward to getting to know you better.

There are so many very healthy plans to choose from. I do a combination of Southbeach and counting calories. For now, I recommend adding more vegetables into your diet and removing foods with added sugar or high fructose corn syrup. Try to limit your fats and use healthy fats only....lean meats, olive oil, avocado, nuts, etc. I also recommend some form of exercise every day...walking is great. Also, I 100% agree with Robin....remove all junk from your house. This makes staying on-plan so much easier. Willpower comes and goes, so be prepared.....plan your menus. This also makes it easier to stay on-plan.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:20 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi Toye!
Like Rhonda, I do South Beach and calorie counting. Things are going great and so far for me I think the biggest keys are:
Learning to eat lots of vegetables
Cooking the same for the entire household
Not "dieting" but making healthy changes
Getting rid of temptations
Experimenting, trying new foods and recipes and finding lots of great things to eat
Snacking throughout the day so I am never starving hungry
Planning menus and snacks so I know what I'll be eating
Protein! Really fills you up and keeps your engine going.

Best of luck to you!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:05 PM   #12  

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think having someone to help encourage me along the way will be a big help! Talk to ya soon!
toye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:49 PM   #13  

Welcome aboard!

145 may sound impossible, but it's not. You have come to the right place for motivation and support as you go through this journey. Do some research, apply yourself and your situation to it, and find what works best for you. This is a fantastic group of gals, and whatever you decide, there will always be someone there to relate to and give you wonderful advice!

Keep us updated on what you decide and your progress.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:52 PM   #14  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Yes, I definately agree with research. My favorite book so far is Fit And Female. It goes through misconceptions and tells you what you need for your body type. But even if you don't do the "body type," the tips in there are invaluable! I know my doctor once suggested making small changes to make big difference(like stop drinking pop). I know I actually didn't wake up and go, I'm on a diet!

What I did was started eating healthier. Avoiding fast food but treating myself whenever I wanted. I started to incorporate healthier foods into at least one meal 5 times a week. I started to walk ALOT because of work. From December to July I lost 24.5 pounds.

Now, it was this past month, I started to really focus on weight loss and getting healthier. Now, because I slowly took foods away from my diet, I hardly have cravings. Also, what helps me (that I found out recently) is cooking real actual dinners that are healthy. I'm only cooking for myself though. Luckly I have a strong sense of mine and his because I'm sure my room mates food would make me very weak. But normally, you should remove all junk. I actually have two items of junk which is barvarian nuts and nutella. The one time I cheated with the nutella I put post its and marked on it so I will rethink when I get another craving. The act of cooking a yummy dinner and/or lunches by planning ahead has made me so excited. It fills me and satisfies me more than lean cuisines and all that.

Good luck! 3FC is an excellent place to start your journey!
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #15  
Not giving up!!

S/C/G: 323/200/175

Height: 5'8

Hello and Welcome!! Good Luck with your weight loss!! Trust me I know how hard it is! I did a low fat diet with exercise! Hope you find great success!!
~~Sunshine~~ is offline   Reply With Quote