Old 09-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #1  

Default Wow and workout question

You crazy kids weren't lying about Fiber One, were you? LOL

Back to the gym today. Which pertains to my question... How do you mix up your workout? I've heard that after a period of time your body gets used to the cardio workout you do. I do the eliptical machine for 20 minutes, then the bike for 10 or visa versa. Any ideas for something else I can throw in there? I have horrible ankles, so the treadmill usually hurts, but I guess I could try that.

Thanks guys!
brittanyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:03 PM   #2  
LAWL Salt Police

Cardio by treadmill and eliptical aren't the only things you can do... I learned that it's important to really mix it up and, if done the right way, there are a lot of ways to get that cardio going...

It's hard to describe without showing you, but there are all kinds of lunge and squat exercises you can do that will get your heart pumping and work out your legs and arms at the same time.

If you have the time and the (financial) means, I would suggest getting in a few sessions with a personal trainer, if you gym offers that.

I did it so I could learn how to work out the right way, avoid workout boredom and tone my muscles, rather than bulk them up.. This way I could still lose weight and work out.

Improving your range of motion and your core (middle torso) will take a lot of strain off your ankles, knees and back...

Sorry that's not very descriptive, but again, it's really hard to describe without visual examples...

Also, immediately after your workout, remember to ingest protein and good carbs (like a piece of fish or chicken and some fruit). They don't have to be meal sized portions.. Even a lite bar (if you use those) would work for the protein... Both are vital to help your body recover from the workout and promote weight loss.. If you don't help your body recover, depending on how vigerous your workout was, your body will actually retain fat and water to help it recover on its own, rather then flush them out...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:13 PM   #3  
Core convert

S/C/G: 150/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Does your gym have a pool? I like to mix up my workout by throwing in laps for cardio every once in a while. The nice thing about the pool is that its very low stress on the joints.
lmills730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:10 PM   #4  
Starting over after baby!

S/C/G: 285/See Ticker/200

Height: 5'7''

Brittany, Dans suggestions were PERFECT! And if in fact you cant afford a personal trainer (like me...whats money?) Get the Biggest Loser 2 Workout DVD!!! (I got it for $10 at Target) It incorporates lunges and squats into almost every workout. And you choose your routines! There is a list of 12-15 different workouts that range from 10 - 15 minutes, Add them to the list, and then it plays in the order in which you chose them! But the most important thing is ALWAYS add the warm up and cool down! I decided not to do either one day and woke up with a sore neck and I was achy all over!!!

Good Luck and have fun with your workouts!!!
bradleys mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

Brittany, I mix it up by doing different things on different days. I like the spin cycling class at the gym one day. the elliptical the next, a long walk outside on another. Mixing the intensities of working out is good too. I found that I progressed in fitness a lot faster if I went for a mix during the week. You need maybe one really challenge work out a week, a couple of mediums and one or two lows. I think I progressed faster doing a high then low workout than I did with a high and then a rest day. You have to build up your fitness level and not go too fast.

The Biggest Loser DVD 2 is excellent. I own it too. You might want to get a stability ball too if you buy it.

If your gym has classes you can try a sampling of those. I've been meaning to get back to Pilates. That is an excellent toning workout for your core. Sometimes it helps me to get a buddy to go along. My husband loves the spin classes, and he wakes me up to get there in time for the 5:45 class, if it was just me that wouldn't happen, but as it is I manage 2 days a week at that and the exercise is done before I'm even awake! And I read that you burn up to 700 calories in one of those classes.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:19 PM   #6  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

I have an ankle that has been totally rebuilt with hardware, so the treadmill is a major no-no for me. At this point, I quit the cardio workouts since I go straight for 8 hours a day at work. I now do resistance work-outs 4 afternoons a week.

From personal experience, take advantage of the gym's classes. I was back doing a low impact aerobics and/or body scultping class 3 days a week just 8 weeks after ankle surgery. Plus, with the classes, you get the variety of constantly switching up your work-out.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:52 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 224/189/130

Height: 5'5"

I agree with everyone here. I had a gym membership, but am letting it go because I don't make it there enough. I have some equipment at home, so will work out at home on my own.

For anyone who has bad joints or arthritis, another thing to look into is water running or water aerobics. I have had several knee injuries (broke my leg at the knee and then two years later I axed my ACL in same knee), I did water aerobics and running and loved it. Great exercise and you aren't really putting pressure on anything...
Pastrey is offline   Reply With Quote