General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Talking A general fashion thread!

What are your favorite places to shop? And do you have any particular brands of choice? What styles are the most fun to wear? What's your favorite fashion season?

Me, I'm a bit of a contradiction - I'm either a label whore or a Goodwill shopper - nothing in between. I'll never be caught dead buying clothes at somewhere like Wal Mart, Target, or K-Mart unless it's t-shirts (I saw Poison shirts at Wal Mart, EEEE! ) - not that I have anything against those who do, it's just a personal preference; I'm not a snob.

Some of my favorite places (besides Goodwill ) are Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Avenue, Express, and... American Eagle. Yeah, kind of diverse, I know. I also like Hot Topic every now and then, though I'm not a huge fan of the postcard punk look - I'd rather rock clothes from "nice" places and give them an extra edge complete with accessories and my crazy hair than simply wear bondage pants, a band shirt, and a studded belt (though I DO love my studded belts!)
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:07 PM   #2  
one more time...

S/C/G: 183/157.8/133

Height: 5'4" no, 5'5"! I grew!

Favorite places to shop - wherever is on sale! Seriously, since I grocery shop at Walmart I end up buying most of my clothes there.

Brands of choice - I love the look of NY &Co but don't have much of it.

Fun styles - One of my hand knit self designed tops with nice pants or a skirt. Or great jeans.
Another "style" I have - using the term loosely - is USMC shirts and jeans or khakis. I have 2 brothers in Iraq and wearing USMC stuff makes me feel closer to them. I do wear this a lot, so I guess it's a style for me.
I also love funky jewelry from anywhere I can find it.

Favorite season - COLD! Because then I can wear all my hand knit deliciousness!!! (Sensing a pattern here?)

Cool thread!

Last edited by booskibabe; 09-26-2007 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Add more stuff
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

I dress for my lifestyle. Work has me popping in and out of the office doing inspections during the week, so it's usually nice jeans and a button-up, long-sleeved shirt. Weekends I dress for what we're doing, which is "ranching" and etc. Boots, usually Ariats for working/riding, but I like the Justin Vintage collection and will wear those when we go out; jeans, Aura by Wrangler is my brand of choice right now, and a button-up shirt, usually 20X, Cruel Girl, Wrangler, etc. We've been at a bbq and received a phone call saying the cattle were out and we need to go get them, so I dress for that type of emergency often.

My favorite places to shop are Johnson Feed and Big Bend Saddlery (local), or Cavender's, Shepler's, etc. I also like to get outer-wear and workout clothes from Academy.

There are two things I'm a bit of a snob about. I only carry Dooney & Bourke Bucket Bags for purses, and 90% of my jewelry (wedding set included) comes from James Avery and Brighton. They're just great brands and I always find something to suit me. (Plus, they have internet wish lists, so DH never has to hunt for my presents! )

Last edited by Kim_Star060404; 09-26-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:16 PM   #4  
hara hachi bu

I'm not brand-specific or store-specific, but I'd rather shop thrift or outlet stores than go to Wal-Mart/K-Mart/Target for clothing. I don't usually need to shop at those stores anyway, so I never think to look for clothes there.

I hardly ever buy anything new, not because I can't afford it but because 1. during weight loss it's not cost effective, and 2. I find more unique things at thrift stores.

During the week I wear the classic corporate clothing (black or brown pants/socks/shoes with a comfortable top), and sometimes I do a skirt. Weekends, I'm extremely casual (jeans and sweatshirts/t-shirts) unless I'm going out, and if I go out I like to wear a skirt.

I tend to stick to certain color groups - dark/vivid colors over pastels, and cool colors over warms.

I have large feet (womens' size 11W), so shoes are a touchy one for me. I did buy a pair of Fluevogs recently, though, and man I love them.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #5  
Fat-be-gone

I buy my clothes from anywhere. If I see something I like and it looks good on me, I'll get it. I mainly shop at Old Navy because their clothes are very comfy and pretty affordable. I'm kind of stingy when it comes to spending money on clothes....I really won't go over 20 bucks a piece.

My style is pretty basic....you can always find me in a tee, a jean skirt, and flip flops. For work, it's usually black on bottom (pants or skirt) and a color tee on top. I live for v-neck tees!!! I usually play up my boring outfits with earrings, necklaces, and bracelets. My bf laughs at me because my accessories can get pretty big.

I am not wearing what I really want. First of all, I'm very picky. I can go shopping for hours and still come out empty handed (people hate shopping with me). And second, my options are pretty scarce because nothing fits me. or at least if it fits me, i think I look like caca. I rarely find something that I am happy with.

Last edited by Rosario; 09-26-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Rosario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:31 PM   #6  

phantastica, I TOTALLY agree that shopping while fat is NOT cost effective if you're losing weight. Infact, I agree so much that while I was overweight, I wore the same 5 outfits in rotation well, those and pajamas.

I've lost a good chunk of my weight now, along with 4.5 inches off my waist, so I have a lot more options now that I can wear some 6's (not ALL, but I'm not done losing weight - I was a 12 before I started). I've recently started caring a lot about my appearance just like I did before my weight gain, so my style is BACK. It will be so exciting for you, too, once you feel comfortable clothes shopping.

booksibabe, you design your own tops? RAD! I've designed some of mine, too, but they're mostly just graphic t's. I want to get more into fashion design, so I can do more than just t-shirts. I've also designed skirts and jeans before, but I need a better quality sewing machine to really keep the jeans holding up.

I have some silly aspirations to start a fashion line that has something for everyone - all styles, all sizes, all genders!

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 09-26-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:33 PM   #7  
Black Team TBL-WMB

S/C/G: 177/173/140

Height: 5'6'

Because of where I live I have to shop at Walmart or order on line.There is a second hand shop that has a lot of name brand clothes like Northern Reflections,and LL Bean,Columbia and so forth.When I go to the big city I like to go to Fashion Bug.I have to go 60 miles one way for a mall or 120 to the other My big thing is jewelry my husband buys it all and its the good stuff not the walmart stuff lol
losinitin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #8  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I get a lot of my clothes at JC Penney, Belk, and Dress Barn. When I reach goal I will shop at better stores and spend the big bucks.

My kid loves Good Will for jeans because I don't lose my mind when she comes home with holes cut out of them and graffiti all up and down one leg and the other. Teenagers!!
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

I love Brooks Brothers but the prices blow me away. I currently have my eye on a camel dress coat but I'll be working my way up (and weight down) to that purchase. I just love styles that are classic and timeless! I know that coat will still hit the mark 30 years from now.

I tend to stick to Ann Taylor and things that look very Ann Taylor- I've found great looking (although not high quality) look-alikes at JC Penney, Kohl's and Target- even at Walmart. Right now, I'm hitting the Kohl's clearance racks and sales because I hope to shrink out of this size soon.

For shoes, I love Etienne Aigner because they wear like iron and, in this climate, I have to be able to look good despite trecking through salt and slush. For handbags, I'll buy anything anywhere. If it looks great, I have to have it! My jewelry is very classic with a few modern pieces. Like every girl, I LOVE the real stuff!
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:17 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 164/138/120

Height: 5'2"

My favorite store is Joyce Leslie, hands down. Also Forever 21, Charolette Russe, then designer "discount" stores like Annie Sez and Filenes Basement. I say "discount" because most of the good stuff is fairly equal to retail, like Seven jeans and Michael Kors. I spend over $100 on jeans occasionally, but not much else. $30 for a shirt is my average. I get tired of things quickly and own at LEAST 2,000 pieces between my 2 closets

I admit I have gotten clothing at Target. Their new Mossimo jeans are to die for! They have cute sweaters during the winter. It's not particularly "cheap" either, lol, especially their Cashmere!!!

I have never even been ina WalMart. We've only recently gotten them on Long Island...there kinda of a new thing
ThePrettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:18 PM   #11  
Core convert

S/C/G: 150/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I love Ann Taylor Loft...i watch online for special clearance sales and since i know my sizes there, its easy to do online
lmills730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:38 PM   #12  

Hee, ThePrettyOne... Target has some cute things, though the last time I bought something from Target, it fell apart almost instantly. This made me sad. You've rarely ever been in a Wal Mart? Wow! I've been in more Wal Marts than I can count, AND SUPER Wal Marts too; I just wouldn't buy clothes there except the t-shirts. Their t-shirts are CUTE and some of them fit very nicely.

I've never heard of or been to Annie Sez and Filenes Basement... I'm assuming it's kind of like Rugged Warehouse, though - where designers drop off things that they don't want/need/couldn't sell/slightly damaged/what have you and then get sold at discount prices... if so... **** YES, I LOVE stores like that! I usually shop name brands on clearance if possible; buying most name brand things full price just isn't worth it.

Pita420, is your kid a rocker chick too? Sounds like something I would do, even to this day. I still wear ripped jeans; I look good in them and they're pretty damn cute. And JC Penney and Belk have some cute things, too.

****, to me, almost ANY store has a few cute things, except... well... nah, I won't say, I don't want to offend anyone who might LIKE the stores I don't find cute

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 09-26-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:02 PM   #13  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Oh, I hate the fashion business. I mean hate. Because it doesn't make any sense.
That said, I do enjoy some things that don't make any sense, but that falls into the realm of entertainment, not into the realm of anything to take seriously.
I remember being in probably 8th grade I think it was, when girls were first allowed to wear pants to school instead of dresses. The rule was pants with single seams were ok but not double seams. I couldn't believe it. I thought, whoa, these are adults we are supposed to respect who are making rules that we are supposed to follow seriously, that make absolutely no sense whatsoever???? I still think that way. Fashion sucks, to me. Like I said in a previous thread, "my pants are too short for WHAT?" back in the 70's.....
Besides, I can't keep track of the ever changing trends so I pay them no mind.
I do have some general likes and dislikes though. For example I don't like collars and buttons. I don't like the look of conservative tailored business clothes. I've never worn them. I also hate shopping, so the clothes I buy are usually purchased at something fun like a street fair or music festival, or sometimes online. If I need something simple and practical, I'll order from Lands' End. I haven't been to a shopping mall in 3 years because it's just too much stuff and business and not fun. I won't go into Wal Mart or Target because of crowds and shreiking children.
Plus I cannot possibly imagine that anyone out there cares one bit about what I am wearing.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:58 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 322/255/175

Height: 5'6"

My very favorite clothes have to be cotton. I very rarely wear anything other than that. I've always been like that and at 52 years old, I'm not likely to change. My very favorite place to shop for all the cotton and comfy clothes is Lands End. They have great styles for my size and age and oh so comfortable. I've bought things at Target and I've liked them for the quality AND the style.
Lori
mom2fivesweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:23 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

It isn't so much WHERE I shop, as it is what I am looking for specifically.

I pick up a Mossimo item now and then from Target...and I will get Curvation bras (C cup and above) from Wal-Mart. They are the only decent priced larger sized bras out there that actually have enough support for larger breasts.

I am currently really in love with Moroccan cotton, or susdi fabric. It is a fine (high thread count) blend of cotton and rayon. I buy some of my clothes online that are from Dairi or Tienda Ho, because I love susdi fabric. Big wide leg palazzo pants, caftan or tunic tops with asymmetrical hemlines, and so on. The only way I can describe them is "goddess" like.

I will shop at Hot Topic now and then, but not for their mainstream punk looks. More for t-shirts that I have a specific liking for-such as Princess Bride, etc. with movies or toys or something that I like. (I am an 80's toys, and sci-fi fantasy geek.)

I make some of my own clothes.

I like Holy Clothing items as well, and will buy them online.

I like broomtick skirts and palazzo pants that are made in India. I usually have to find these at Nirvana, Goodwill, or online.

I like Salwar Kameez for dressy occasions-and will get them on eBay from India. (Long tunic length caftan style suit top, and pants underneath, with a matching sash)

I prefer to wear things that make me feel like a goddess, or t-shirts displaying my interests, rather than trendy fashions.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote