Old 09-25-2007, 12:51 PM   #1  

Question Breath mints or gum?

I'm always worried that something this little is going to throw me off. Even the sugar free kinds have like 1 or 2 carbs in those that I've seen. But I'm dying for something to freshen my breath during the day or after a meal. Can anybody suggest? Or do ya think the 1 or 2 carbs isn't a big deal?
slimdownmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:24 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

If you don't have issues with Splenda, there are breath mints called Blitz (I believe they are made in Canada) that are sweetened with Splenda. They aren't easy to find but, I managed to get them at my local Walmart.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:35 PM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

for breath mints, I buy the kind I dont particularly like. Pop them only when I need them. Keeps me from eating the whole bag
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/133.5/117

Height: a lil under 5'4"

I think this definitely depends on who you are and what your weaknesses are, I'm an absolute gum addict (sugarless) and I have been since I was in middle school, and it has never triggered me to eat sugary foods or unhealthy snacks.

I have lowered my gum consumption greatly since I really don't have the money to waste on gum - but I find that whether I chew gum or eat breath mints it reduces my cravings for sweets in the the middle of the day, it doesn't trigger it. Probably different for other people tho.

Oh, and I normally chew Orbit gum!
krawhitham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:36 PM   #5  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I bought breathmints that had sucralose in them--but they ALSO had sugar alcohols. Once I started eating them (Cinnamon...my FAVORITE)--I couldn't stop. Not only did I eat the whole container, I was in the bathroom with some digestion trauma for the rest of the night. I never did that again O.O

Too many sugar alcohols = a ticket to the bathroom for the rest of the day.

So...be very careful about those if you're prone to munching!
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:23 PM   #6  

Thanks ladies I've never been one to use gum or breath mints much but need to just have something on hand since usually people around you aren't going to have sugar free gum.
I'm going to look for Blitz next time I go to walmart, is it in with all the gums or candy isle?
Old 09-26-2007, 06:03 AM   #7  
IP start June 11, 2014

I have been wondering about this. Even the "sugarfree" gum has like 2 carbs in it. Is that two carbs if you swallow the gum or if you just chew it and spit it out? I have been thinking about this for the past few weeks. I start thinking I am some kind of freak when I worry about a piece of gum, but with 2 carbs per piece and 3x's a day...I don't really want to spend 6 carbs on gum when it comes down to it.
kelligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:21 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/133.5/117

Height: a lil under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelligirl View Post
I have been wondering about this. Even the "sugarfree" gum has like 2 carbs in it. Is that two carbs if you swallow the gum or if you just chew it and spit it out? I have been thinking about this for the past few weeks. I start thinking I am some kind of freak when I worry about a piece of gum, but with 2 carbs per piece and 3x's a day...I don't really want to spend 6 carbs on gum when it comes down to it.

I've wondered something very similar, once I chewed a whole SLEW of that double bubble bubble gum, and then I looked online and it said it was 25 calories a piece! i did the math and I'd have consumed 300 calories from the amount I chewed that day!! (Yes, I know, a LOT of gum!) But I sure didn't feel like I had eaten 300 calories...more like my jaw burned 300 calories from chewing so much.

In MY theory those calories and sugars are only partially digested in the mouth, so you can't possibly count all of them...because full digestion doesnt happen until, well, you know, full calorie absorbtion doesnt happen til it comes out the other end!
krawhitham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:44 AM   #9  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Azure is correct, the Blitz mints, while sweetened with Splenda...also contain Sorbitol, which is a sugar alcohol. If you are sensitive (bathroom issues) to sugar alcohols, you may want to tread lightly with these.

They call them powermints, they are very tiny & claim to be less than 1 carb...however, I would count them as 1 carb.

I've found them at Walmart at the checkout lines with the other gum & mints.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:57 AM   #10  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

I've got TMJ - so chewing gum is out for me - too much jaw pain.

I also don't want to waste carbs on breath mints and don't trust the labels.

What to do?

I've got zillions of trial size Listerines everywhere I go - in the car . . . in my office . . . in the satchel I take on calls . . . my detractors think I'm nipping alcohol (which I guess I am to a point?) - but just swirl a bit in my mouth when I feel the need and spit out. I also brush my teeth a lot in the office. I refill my travel size stash of mini bottles from the huge economy size Grandmaster Listerine Daddy Bottle as needed.
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #11  

LOL I was also thinking about getting a trial size toothbrush and keeping it with me, is that weird? :LOL
I ended up getting some sugar free orbitz today but looked hard for the blitz and didn't see any so I'll keep looking.