Old 09-25-2007, 01:39 PM   #1  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

Default Schools of thought: Floppy bits

So I hear from one camp that if you lose a significant amount of weight, you are gonna need a nip/tuck. Period.
The other camp says that its all about skin tone, how quickly you lose weight, how long you were fat, how old you are, what you eat, blah blah blah.
Still another opinion says that those leftover wings and flaps aren't really loose skin but just more fat that needs to be burned off. The logic behind this is that skin itself is really thin (pull up the skin on the back of your hand to see how thin it is) and those "aprons" that sag down in the front are MUCH thicker than skin so there must be fat in them that you can burn off.
So what are your ideas on this? Can skin tone be regained? Any tips or tricks?
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:15 PM   #2  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

From what I've read, the second camp seems to apply for me. I doubt that, after 30 some years of being overweight my skin will NOT be tight at all anywhere. So....I either live with it as is or I go for the surgical option. I am pretty sure I would go for number two....
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:26 PM   #3  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Hi,
I still have a way to go until I am down to a healthy weight, to actually see what my skin really is doing, but I am a little scared, because I don't want skin hanging all over the place. Granted I only got over 100 lbs in the past 2 yrs, before that is was 70-80 lbs over weight for 3 yrs , and then 60 lbs over weight, maybe this will help, I am hoping it will. I don't have the money or health insurance to do any kind of plastic surgery.
I do do exercises that is great for toning...... crunches and weight lifting, so this may help a little bit( hoping again), only time will tell. Also you need to consider that everyone is different, so some people have less skin then others.
I also recommend lotion and tons of it, not for a weight loss trick, but lotion helps your skin, it really does, I use lotion twice daily, why, because I did a clinical training class in a nursing home, there were a few women there, one women ( african american) had beautiful skin, and the other women's skin looked older more fragil. The african american women, has been using lotions since childhood, the other women all started in their adulthood. I can only hope when I am older I have skin like this women, and she was a big women, just with beautiful skin.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I think it is very individual. I know women who have extra skin after babies - no significant extra weight involved. And I've known women who've lost over 100lbs & have no extra skin.

I keep my fingers crossed I'm in the 2nd category!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:56 PM   #5  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

I agree with Lifeguard. It's purely individual. Also, when you lose a significant amount of weight you may have loose skin initially, but it takes 6 months to a year for the skin to catch up. So during that period continue doing as many toning exercises as possible (assuming your doing them during your weightloss period), keep your skin moist and healthy by continuing to drink lots of water.

However, if after that period there is still some lose skin, you may have to seek professional help. Once collagen breaks down, i.e. loose skin from stretching, stretch marks, etc. there is no way to rebuild collagen.

I guess you have to wait until you get to your goal to see where you stand.
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Definitely individual, IMHO. Although I'm in my mid-50s, I don't have a whole lot of extra skin. Not sure why, but I'm pleased.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:07 PM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

While the sagging skin may have a lot to do with genetics, there are things you can do to help! Lifting some weights & toning is one way. I'm not talking hardcore muscle & fitness magazine lifting. Just the usual two - three times a week with whatever weights are appropriate for you.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote