Old 09-23-2007, 04:56 PM   #1  
I'm not nuts, I'm happy!

S/C/G: 241/220/160

Default Shopping list

Is there a shopping list posted somehwere? Of things that people gernally eat when they are trying to get healthy and lose weight? I have heard a million products talked about on here, but is the a list most people tend to follow? I figure the only way I am going to stop eating all this unhealthy stuff is if I just get it out of the house. If the only food tha tis in the house is healthy I won't have a choice but to it. I have also figured out why people lose weight when they ahve all this healthy stuff in the house. It tasts so bad you would rather starve.

Anyway I am serving tofu tonight, I am sure there will be an 8 year old calling 911 begging for food at 10 tonight. (when did she get so picky?)

Please though if there is a list, or something of the kind, can someone let me know.

TY
Kati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:14 PM   #2  
Core convert

S/C/G: 150/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I dont know of any specific lists but I go on eatingwell.com for a lot of recipes as well as foodnetwork.com and search for Elie Krieger (nutritionist) and then I design my shopping list around the recipes I choose for the week.
lmills730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:54 PM   #3  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

When I go grocery shopping these are staple items for me:

-Lean Pockets, Lean Cuisines, and Smart Ones frozen dinners for those days I don't want to cook (happens ALOT)
-Bag of frozen chicken breasts
-Soy Milk/ Skim Milk
-Granola bars (usually Kashi or Fiber One, and some of those 90 cal General Mills ones for snacks)
-Cereal
-Canned/Frozen veggies (I don't eat fresh ones fast enough)
-lettuce,tomato,cucumber,carrots for salad
-potatoes for baking
-whipped/lowfat cream cheese
-fat free sour cream
-light wheat bread
-deli turkey
-fat free cheese slices/shredded for salads
-light bagels
-fat free pringles
-pretzels
-eggs
-grits/oatmeal
-turkey pepperoni (sooooo good to add to Lean Cuisine Pizza's)

Ok that's all I can think of right now
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:56 PM   #4  
I have less blubber!

And I totally agree with getting rid of the bad food in your house...I had gotten sloppy and let some bad treats slip into my pantry and I ate way too much last week, lost no weight. I went grocery shopping yesterday and threw out EVERYTHING that I knew would trigger me to start eating like crazy.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

Height: 5'7"

First thing is to clean your house of all the junk.
Second I wouldn't eat anything I didn't like. Find healthy foods you can stick with for life. This is a lifestyle change not a diet.
I have read 2 great books I highly recommend: YOU on a diet by Oz and Roizen and Superfoods RX by Pratt. Knowledge is definitely helped me.
Good luck.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:33 PM   #6  

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kati View Post
II have also figured out why people lose weight when they ahve all this healthy stuff in the house. It tasts so bad you would rather starve.
I hope you'll be happy to know that the people on this forum who are having success would not agree with your assessment of the taste of "healthy stuff." You just have to find what you like. I know for me, when I was not concentrating on eating food that I enjoyed and that was good for me, I ate all kinds of stuff that wasn't very tasty. I ate what was convenient and would fill my stomach. But now, I'm much pickier than that. I won't eat food that I don't enjoy. It will take you a while to find your list of foods that you really like to eat and that are good for you, but once it starts building, I think you'll really start to find yourself enjoying eating this way.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:02 AM   #7  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

I divid my grocery list into the things I buy every week and the things I buy occasionally. On my list there's always:

lemons,
garlic,
fresh ginger,
broccoli
spinach,
mushrooms,
cauliflower,
fruit - depending on what's in season and looks good,
hummus,
pita bread
diet coke.

Occasional

Pasta,
red and green peppers - depending on price,
rice,
olives,
tomatoes - very dependent on price and quality
porridge,
dried apricots,
premade tzatziki,
yoghurt.
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:57 AM   #8  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

I don't actually do the diet plan but I have found that "The Best Life" product list has been helpful to make some choices. I realize that "The Best Life" is just as much about advertisement as it is about weight management but I think if you can ignore some of the brand names (for example, they recommend specific brands of frozen fruits and vegetables) and use it as a product guide it's not a bad deal. You don't really even need the list because all the foods are labelled with "The Best Life" logo. There are a few choices on the list that I find questionable, such as the Green Giant vegetables in sauce. I am trying to stay away from corn in general and here they not only recommend corn, they recommend corn in butter sauce. I also prefer Kashi cereals to the ones listed here. My favorite is the Honey Almond Flax, which I usually mix with the yogurt.

8th Continent® Soy Milk
Fat-Free
Chocolate, Strawberry, Banana Smoothie
Soymilk
Light

Barilla® PLUS® Pastas
Spaghetti
Rotini
Elbows
Penne

Bayer®
One-A-Day Women's Multi-Vitamin
One-A-Day Men's Health Formula Multi-Vitamin

Bertolli®
Extra Light Olive Oil
Classico Olive Oil
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Rich Taste Olive Oil

Cascadian Farm®
Frozen Blueberries
Frozen Red Raspberries
Frozen Strawberries
Frozen Sweet Corn
Frozen Mixed Vegetables
Frozen Winter Squash
Oats & Honey Granola Cereal
Raisin Bran Cereal
Honey Nut O's Cereal
Purely O's Cereal
Great Measure Cereal

Cheerios®
Regular Cereal

Fiber One®
Fiber One Cereal
Oats & Peanut Butter Bars
Oats & Chocolate Bars

Flatout® Wraps
Multigrain
Brown Sugar
Italian Herb
French Toast
Chipotle
Mediterranean

Florida Grapefruit

Green Giant®
Frozen Broccoli & Carrots with Garlic & Herbs
Frozen Garden Vegetable Medley
Frozen Broccoli Cuts
Frozen Cut Green Beans
Frozen Niblets Corn & Butter Sauce
Frozen Garden Peas
Frozen Broccoli Florets
Frozen Spinach

Hellmann's® or Best Foods®
Canola Mayonnaise
Reduced Fat Mayonnaise
Light Mayonnaise

Lipton® Teas
Green
Organic
Herbal
Orange & Spice
Bavarian Wild Berry
Vanilla Caramel Truffle
White
Black Pearl
Red
Cold Brew
Mixed Berry Green
Orange, Passion Fruit & Jasmine Green
Ice Tea Brew

Muir Glen® Tomato Products
Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
Whole Peeled Tomatoes
Tomato Paste

Mushrooms

Progresso® Soups
Chicken Wild Rice
Lentil
Minestrone
Vegetable
Hearty Chicken & Rotini
Chicken Noodle
Garden Vegetable

Slim Fast® Products
Optima Powder (Chocolate, Strawberry and Vanilla)
High Protein Meal Bars (Peanut Granola or Chocolate Chip Granola)
High Protein Shakes (Chocolate, Strawberry or Vanilla)
Easy to Digest Lactose & Gluten Free Shakes (Chocolate, Coffee or Vanilla)
Optima Shakes (Chocolate Royale or French Vanilla)
Optima Chewy Granola Meal Bars (Peanut butter, Trail Mix or Chocolate Chip)

Total®
Regular Cereal

Wheaties®
Regular Cereal

Wasa® Crispbreads
Oats
Light Rye
Multi Grain
Hearty Rye
Sourdough Rye
Fiber Rye

Wish-Bone® Salad Spritzers™ Vinaigrette Dressings
Italian
Balsamic Breeze™
Red Wine Mist

Yoplait® Yogurt
Harvest Peach
Red Raspberry
Blackberry Harvest
Banana Cream Pie
Boston Cream Pie
Cherry
Key Lime Pie
Strawberry
French Vanilla
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:02 PM   #9  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

I have never seen a website with a shopping list, but I do do recipe searches for food .. at www.allrecipes.com, www.cookinglight.com, to name a few..
I also cook my food separate from my family, because I know there are days they want things I can't have. Like tonight I am making Nachos, with refried beans....... I may just eat some refried beans( 1 serving).. with 2 corn tortillas, and salad( 300 + calories), or I may make a vegetarian burger, not sure so far .
What things are included in my shopping list monthly are:
fruits, and veggies( fresh)
fat free yogurt( stoneyfield vanilla)
frozen fruit ( in the fall / winter I usually buy frozen berries to mix with the yogurt)
Kashi go lean crunch cereal
Kashi go lean crunch tlc bars( like granola bars)
refried beans( low fat or fat free)
corn tortillas
Hummus
dried beans
whole wheat pasta
fat free sour cream
Frozen veggie burgers, and Amy's burritos /or pizza
smart dogs( tofu hot dogs)
tofu,
asian spices and sauces
frozen veggies to make a stir fry
shrimp, fish
Hope this helps. good luck with your quest
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:38 PM   #10  
I'm not nuts, I'm happy!

You guys rock! Thank you so much. You know I came upon something today. This revelation hit me as I was shoving dripping, crispy chicken fat into my mouth as fast as I could get it off the chicken I had just baked.

I am not trying. I am saying, I want to, I do want to, I know I need to, and I promised my husband I would. I won't break tht promise to him for nothing. But, I am not trying. I have been posting and asking and whining and complaining, but I have NOT been trying!

So, I am going to start trying. I am going to lose this weight and get healthy. I can't just throw everything out like you guys suggest (not feasible when you have 16 bux and three weeks until next pay) but I am going to start buying healthy when I can start buying again. I got up off my lazy rump today and danced while I did the housework. Not pretty and more of a jiggle then a real dance, but it did get my heart rate up. Also, I need to get over this sugar thing. I chew gum because of the quitting smoking thing, and though it is sugarless, it is sweet. But, it only goes so far. So, I found some popcicles(sp) today. They are only 50 calories and really cheap. I bought some and will have one of those when I am needing sugar. (better than 4 candy bars, right?)

And, if I can keep on track all week long, on Monday when I go to the store, I will treat myself to one Cherrymash. (for those of you not in this area, they are the gift of the gods) I will only eat one, not 6 of them. I will only buy one not six of them. I am very good at the store, it is when I get home that I lose my ability. But I am going to actually try from here on out.

There I said it, go with rice cakes and wish me well!

Last edited by Kati; 09-24-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:44 PM   #11  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

good on ya! that doesn't sound like "trying" at all -- it's DOING!!!!

yay!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:47 PM   #12  
I have less blubber!

WAY TO GO! Shake that groove thing when at all possible LOL.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:18 PM   #13  
ShellieTerese

S/C/G: 274/see ticker/125

Kati, rather than starting with a shopping list and then figuring out what you can make with it, I suggest going to the sugested web sites and finding recipies that look absolutely yummy, and buying the ingredients they need. That keeps me from having things go bad because I didn't use them. Maybe you can start with some quick & easy items that have been suggested, and try maybe 2 new good-for-you recipes a week. Be sure to pick ones that sound mouth-watering. Introduced new recipes one or two at a time. That way you don't get overwhelmed. Remember, you are not in a hurry. This is for life. You have all the time in the world to gather yourself a new cookbook!
Bouncing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:25 PM   #14  
I'm not nuts, I'm happy!

Bouncing...DUH teehee I have been 'making' a cookbook. I have taken all mine ( i have dozens) and takign out al the recipes that I think are yummy. I have been trying to make sure I get some that are healthy or that I can play with to make healthy. I wish I used my brain more than my mouth. *gnarf*
Old 09-24-2007, 08:45 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Kati,
I follow South Beach and there are food lists under that section of the forum. But basically it is just healthy food, fresh stuff, lean meats, lowfat dairy, fruits and veggies, beans, nuts, no refined sugars or starches, limited processed food. I don't agree that healthy food tastes bad. I have been eating so well in the last 4 months, I look forward to dinner every night and trying new recipes and foods. I'm not going to eat stuff that doesn't taste good because I plan to do this the rest of my life, and I don't want to live that way! I ate way more junk before, but I don't think I enjoyed it half as much as I enjoyed my zucchini sauteed in olive oil and garlic with shaved parmesan over top tonight. Good luck to you!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote