Old 09-11-2007, 06:36 AM   #1  
IP start June 11, 2014

Default Poll: How long do people like to stay on induction?

I have read a few posts where ppl have chosen to stay on induction for quite some time. I personally don't mind induction and have been able to come up with menus to stay <20 net carbs/day. Just wondering how everyone else out there feels about staying on induction longer?

Jersey Girl -I noticed something quite interesting when you posted that site with all the low-carb recipies....I was a little more than mildly interested in the dessert section. This is huge for me b/c eating any other way than the current, I would only be holding out for my next big sweet binge. For instance, on WW, I would be holding out and holding out dreaming of diving into a tirimisu at any moment and....WOW...now I couldn't care less. I have been loosing weight in what seems to be sudden bursts, but truthfully, I *almost* don't even care at what rate I lose. It's not being a prisoner to my sweet tooth that has really been life changing at this stage.

Also, when you dropped weight was it a steady drop or like in small bursts. I have been weighing myself everyday to monitor what each day of eating does and I noticed that I will hover around one number for a few days, then, *BAM* minus like 1.5 lbs. Thanks for all your input. I have been reading your posts for quite some time.

228/208.4/160
kelligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:24 AM   #2  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

my uncle stayed on induction for 5 weeks. i personally did it for about 4 days. now im kinda halfway between induction and the next step. i find it hard to live without my fibre. so i do stage 2 for a few days having a bowl of allbran and soya milk for breakfast. and a day or 2 at induction.

so i guess i'm still on induction really sort of and will be i think for another good month or so
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:14 AM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

the first time I did it, I stayed on induction for 5 months.

Last edited by RobinW; 09-11-2007 at 08:18 AM.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:28 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Hi Kelligirl,

I've been on Atkins for almost 3½ years now and basically, I stay at Induction level carbs, usually been 25-30. Most of my carbs come from veggies & salad. I'm what others would refer to as an "Atkins purist"....meaning, I don't believe in low carb products....I keep my eating very simple and Induction-like. My only real weakness is occasionally having Fage Greek Yogurt mixed with DaVinci's syrup, a few blueberries and a sprinkling of cinnamon & chopped toasted almonds. Luckily, Fage is expensive so, I don't have it very often.

I have been very fortunate with Atkins, I lost most of my weight very steadily. But, keep in mind, I was 245 lbs and had A LOT of weight to lose!! I stuck strictly to the acceptable foods list, if it wasn't on the list, I didn't eat it....period. I averaged 10-12 lbs a month loss. I keep a close eye on my weight now...if I creep up a few lbs...I cut back. I learned early on I have to be careful with cheese. You get to know your body and what it will & will not tolerate.

I believe the key to successful weight loss is changing your eating habits for a lifetime. Never think of this as a diet. Diets do NOT work. I don't care what eating plan you choose, if you go back to your previous ways....you WILL gain the weight back! This is a total LIFESTYLE change!!

You CAN do this!!!

All the best to you!!

Kim

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 09-11-2007 at 11:48 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:52 AM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I stayed on induction for the first 2 weeks. I did eat more fruits than was recommended but was very strict on not eating bread, potatoes, pasta or rice, flour or sugar. After induction I averaged about 30-35 carbs a day throughout my wt. loss.

I started at 234 lbs, and averaged about 2 lbs. a week except for the 16 lbs. I lost during the first 2 weeks. I did have a few weeks where I maintained but not many.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:38 PM   #6  
Becomming a Monster

speaking of induction and rapid weight loss here is an interesting question, we all know that anything over 2lb a week is not good for us. however is it worse for us than carrying around the 6lbs (if we lose 8lb a week). so after 2 weeks on induction liley said she lost 16lb. is it better for her to be 12lbs lighter than she should be (above the 4lb recommend rate of less for two weeks)

i.e what is the lesser of two evils carrying to much fat and straining the heart lungs kidneys liver and so on or losing it to rapidly? any thoughts?
Old 09-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #7  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

When I first started I stayed on for about 2 months then added to many and stoped losing, got discouraged and went off Plan. after that I'v only been able to stick with it a few weeks at a time Then I go out of town and fall of the waggon. I do plan to stay in the 20 -35 range as long as it keeps working then I may have to tweek it again.

I also lose in little bursts.

Slimm, I think it depends on how much you have to lose and any health problems you have. For most people to lose that much they would have to be on an unhealthy diet, which isnt a good idea. Also I think a drop of 16 lbs in 2 weeks like on induction is a lot of water weight, but if you continued to lose at that rate it would be unhealthy, unless you where morbidly obiese and under a doctors suppervision. Losing Weight rapidly can put a strain on your organs as well.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:26 PM   #8  
Becomming a Monster

well according to the bmi (not that its worth anything at all) is 41. which makes me about 6" from the coffin. however i was once 226 and really fit active and healthy with a bmi of 30 and therefore obese so i'm not sure whether the fast weight loss is a good or bad thing?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:38 PM   #9  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

slimm, I believe my BMI was 36.6 to start with. I figured I lost the induction weight so quickly because it was such a drastic change in my "normal" eating routine. I think with any new way of eating, most people drop quickly at first, especially if they have a lot of lbs. to lose. Of course, some of that initial weight loss was water, but I didn't care. A lb. is a lb. as far as I'm concerned. I do believe that with Atkins or SB that people who follow it strictly lose more weight during induction than with some of the other plans.

Like you mentioned about your BMI, mine was so high and my health was so bad it would have been fine with me if I had lost 5 lbs. a week till goal , but it didn't happen. My wt. loss naturally slowed on it's own as the wt. came off.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:15 PM   #10  
Hello Friend

I was about the same weight as lily was when she started, I did the BMI but dont remember exactly what the # was I think almost 40. the thing with that is it doesnt consider you as an individual, I'm 30yrs old and have never had any weight related health problems, or existing problems where weight put me in real danger. So for me, while losing will make me healthier and less likely to develope health problems, I think losing the fat faster through exreme dieting would not be of much benifit other than to my ego. Each person is different and needs to be assesed on on individual basis by a doctor if the're considering an extreme weight loss plan. It would make a big difference if I was older and/or had heart disease, or diabeties, or something, I'm sure there would be benifit to taking it off faster.

Last edited by Puncezilla; 09-11-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:05 AM   #11  
IP start June 11, 2014

Default fat loss

I thought that fat loss was rate limited so that most bodies physiologically can't release more than like 2lbs/per week (of fat). So additional weight loss is from muscle, water, and water that is attached to glycogen in the muscle. I think that I read something on this from when I went to UF...wellness class or something. I will try to dig it up.
kelligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:06 PM   #12  
Hello Friend

I watched the Biggest Loser last night, and one guy lost 30lbs in one week. I'v never realy wached it before and I'm not shure I like the unrealistic example they set for people, although all the people have a lot to lose and are under doctor supervision.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 160/133.5/117

Height: a lil under 5'4"

Talking

i LOVE the biggest loser! In the beginning they always lose huge amounts because it's mostly water weight, but you will see as the weeks progress their weekly weigh-ins decrease significantly (for the real big people 2-3lbs per week and for the smaller people 1lb or less per week) Sometimes they GAIN because they're lifting weights and gaining so much muscle!

I definitely trust the way they do it on the BL because they have experienced trainers and doctors. They do base it on a 1200 cal diet for the women and I think 1500 for the men, though...which some people have a problem with and think is starvation. I think it's a good way to get used to eating "normal" sized portions and not overeating. Just my opinion about the whole show
krawhitham is offline   Reply With Quote