General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-19-2007, 11:59 PM   #1  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Default Garlic Rant

OK, I like garlic...

But why is it that lately restaurants, especially "nicer" restaurants seem to think that garlic should be applied with a forklift.

This was the description of the dinner I ordered tonight. Dungeness Crab over linguine with white wine, roasted red pepper puree, and orange peel in a lobster broth. (notice garlic is not listed)

What did I taste? Garlic. Couldnt taste the wine, red peppers, orange zest, lobster. Could only vaguely taste the crab if I picked a piece out and shook the garlic off.

If I had wanted garlic breath for 3 days I would have eaten a bulb of garlic and saved the other $16 for scope.

Here is a little hint chefs of the world. Garlic is an aromatic that should be used to enhance and compliment the other flavors in the dish, not dominate.

Growl

Ennay gets grouchy when she pays a babysitter and then gets bad food.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Well if garlic is good for you ... that would make it a healthfood restaurant right?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:09 AM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
Well if garlic is good for you ... that would make it a healthfood restaurant right?
Considering the aroma on my breath and seeping out my pores I am wondering if this restaurant is really owned by planned parenthood
Old 09-20-2007, 12:09 AM   #4  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

This rant stinks. Hehe....okay, my humor is a little bad tonight, lol.

I've never noticed that before though, I don't get out a lot.
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:22 AM   #5  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

What did they say when you spoke to them about it? I hope they took the charge off your bill! Any good eatery should do that at least.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

As any garlic lover knows the secret to preventing garlic from interfering with your love life is to eat it WITH your partner.

Actually, I can relate to this in a slightly different way. As a person raised in a household where garlic could show up in any dish that wasn't sweet, I can't relate to "too much" garlic. 40 clove chicken was a regular dish in our household, and at least once a year (usually at a holiday party) we would have bagna calda (basically anchovy garlic butter used for dipping veggies and bread or breadsticks into - amazing to saute mushrooms in).

However, I can very much relate to garlic used improperly. Restaurants often use jarred garlic or garlic that isn't as fresh as it should be, and cook it at too high a heat, or leave it in the dish undercooked (or worse, both burnt and yet somehow still half raw) so it's very strong and bitter. Good, fresh garlic, cooked at a low temperature is mild and sweet (think a great french onion soup as opposed to raw white onion).

I do agree that the menu should mention which dishes contain onions and garlic (unless the name makes it obvious). Not only for the benefit of those who would prefer it left out of their food, but those who would prefer it left out to done poorly.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:59 AM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

kaplods - total aside - but we put bagna cauda on heated fondue pots at our house so the oil is simmering, then cook, bite by bite, entire meals. Beef, shrimp, asparagus, broccoli, bell pepper, mushrooms, brussel sprouts, etc. Its really REALLY amazing. You cook your meat or veggies in the simmering oil, then sop up the garlicky goodness oil and/or meat juices on pieces of french bread and then eat that.

Its a 3 hour meal because you cook by the bite, but MAN its a tradition in our family and SO amazing. I only allow it once a year.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:22 AM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Oh Yum! In college I converted both garlic and anchovy haters to the stuff, it's so amazing. I don't know why I never thought of cooking meat or seafood in it, especially since I've used the leftovers on steak and to make shrimp scampi over pasta. Wow, do I have a bagna craving now (good thing I don't have any anchovies and don't keep bread in the house anymore, since I always have at least a little butter and fresh garlic on hand).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:49 AM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

see I love garlic...40 garlic chicken is yummy...but then you dont go using a delicate expensive ingredient like lobster broth in it!

Actually in this case it was that the garlic was undercooked, it was practically raw garlic. I actually expected some garlic, the dish would have been unfinished without the sweetness...but aromaticsto be used wisely.

soulbliss - I didnt speak to them. It was a birthday dinner for a friend who would have been mortified if I had (she has issues that way) In respect for her birthday I let it go.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #10  

I HATE getting a bad dinner out....after the babysitter arrangements and all, double annoying!

And I HATE HATE HATE sending things back, it's such a moodkill on the rest of the table and then everyone else is almost done by the time the replacement meal comes.

Maybe you should send your rant to the owner of the restaurant....assuming there's anything decent there you want to eat, maybe they'll have you in on a freebie to make good?
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:13 AM   #11  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I understand not saying anything at the time given the circumstances, but I encourage you to contact them, because if they are interested in serving fine cuisine and providing good customer service, your feedback will be quite valuable to them. Also, you'll give them the chance to make up for it (and hopefully you'll get a GOOD meal out of it!).
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:48 PM   #12  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

guess I never noticed before...but then I like a lot of garlic
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:02 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I have emailed my discontent to a restaurant once and received gift certificates as an apology.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #14  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Hey, kaplods, I have a recipe for spaghetti sauce that has anchovies and lots of garlic. Awesome stuff. My kids love it.

Ennay, boy do I know what you mean, though. I've found the same thing with onions, too. I love both onions and garlic, but sometimes you are looking for a less intense flavor. Especially for a date night!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote