Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 09-17-2007, 12:47 PM   #1  
Saminita

S/C/G: 169.75

Height: 5.6

Unhappy HElp! i cannot stop stuffing my face with food

I dont understand why, i just go into this frenzy even when i am not hungry at all, i get to th epoint where i feel uncomfortably full and sick promising my self i will never do the same again, but i always fall back into the trap. I am atleast 20kg overweight, i cannot recognise myself in pictures is like looking at somebody i dont know, my back hurts, i get tired easily, before i used to love dressing up and being girlie and sexy, i have always been regarded as pretty, and i know i am, but now i dont see the point in even putting on make up in the morning, i basically just put on whatever fits and pull my hair back on a pony tail, i feel absolutely invisible. I also look so much older now, i am 23 but look atleast 10 years older.

I have had so many false starts trying to turn things around but i never seem to stick to the commitment eventhough i have everyreason to do it along with the fact taht i hate being like this, i feel sick right now, i dont know why i keep sabotaging myself like this. has anybody ever felt like this?

Last edited by saminita; 09-17-2007 at 01:05 PM.
saminita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #2  

Oh Huni (((hugs)))

I get munchies like that too, mine is usually when I feel low, - see I've realised that I binge cause one of the only things that has't changed since my accident was food, it's familiar, you know? I also binge when my period is due.

Just a thought but why not get low calorie stuff, like tomatoes, cucumber, carrots etc, slice them and munch them? That's what I've been doing, as well as drink more water. You're still munching, but the calories are barely worth counting for it
mynxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:27 PM   #3  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

YES! I am battling this on a daily basis. I have not been doing too well either. I have to get control somehow. I put on 3 lbs this very weekend because of this uncontrollable stuffing my face of food.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:30 PM   #4  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

I use pretzel sticks as my crutch when I get the uncontrollable munchies....They are snacky, but they get me feeling full quick...And when I can at 39 of them for 100 calories, I can snack on them for awhile LOL.
You just have to decide that your body is more important than the delicious food. We all slip up, but we can't GIVE up when that happens.
Stay positive girly!

sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:44 PM   #5  
Hey, why the long face?

S/C/G: 275/please see ticker/180

Height: 5'12.5"

Smile I am right there with ya sister . . .

I have had binges since I was a little girl. I do not know what causes them or what makes them go away. When I was about ten years old I took a whole loaf of wonder bread and a stick of butter and made about twenty bread&butter sandwiches. I ate ALL of them. I made sure to hide the evidence because I was afraid my dad would find out & call me fatass again.

What does this to us? It is a spiritual, physical, psychological, hormonal, chemical and societal sickness! All I can say is I'm seeing a therapist now and am considering trying Overeaters Anonymous again. One thing is for sure, I feel better when I WRITE about it. Either on line or just in a journal. It has made me forget my driving urge to eat when I just pour my feelings out in writing.

Best to you.
boisebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:34 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 268/268/175

Height: 5'3"

Default those are ugly days....

I feel bad that you have to go through this, i always want to punch myself in the face when i have binges...it's important to remember that it's ONE day, and the next day you wake up ...BOOM, that one day is in the PAST and it's over. I guess it helps me to think, "okay i screwed up yesterday, but i can make today GREAT...it's up to me...yesterday is in the past, if I binge today I'll feel even WORSE...." I dunno, for me I go into robot mode, where i'm not even paying attention to what i'm doing/eating/buying, etc...a good plan is to not buy junk food...and if you can't keep yourself from buying it, make someone else do the shopping. There really is NO NEED to keep junk in your house, that way if you DO binge, it will be on something that isn't such a big deal-like carrots... lol!
Hope that helps a little...go easy on yourself, today is a new day!! Like it says in Nacho Libre...." you can do it....pray to the Lord for strenth......"
TiaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:54 AM   #7  
Saminita

S/C/G: 169.75

Height: 5.6

thanks to all of you beautiful girls, i really wish you the best in this journey, i will take the pieces of advice that you have given me. yhank you so much!!!!
saminita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:14 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 147/147/132

Height: 5'4

Talking

Yes, really, keeping stuff in the house is very bad. when you get the munchies you just cant have any logic anymore. As for the shopping, go in the store really well fed. When you are full you are less likely to buy crap. i wish you luck... well and myself, too, since giving advice is sooooo much easier
iulidavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:56 PM   #9  
Doing it.

S/C/G: 208/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6"

I know how you feel. I just binged on an order of General Tso's chicken.

*sigh*
Jeannette311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:15 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by iulidavid View Post
As for the shopping, go in the store really well fed. When you are full you are less likely to buy crap.
I totally agree with this! It makes a huge difference when you go to the store after eating a meal. My interest in food decreases a lot.

I have a binging problem, so I know where you are coming from. Everyday feels like a challenge...especially when I see skinny people eating things that I want to eat!

It helps reading the discussion postings on this site, and knowing that other people are experiencing the same issues. I really do not think that I would have made any progress without it! I always felt alone and ashamed of myself, but I know that we are not alone in this.
starzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #11  

I enjoy reading your posts and it helps me already. Last night I snuck cookies and felt terrible. Your advice is heartfelt and I'm back on track today.
Binging is awful and we all suffer the aftermath.
Elliebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:08 PM   #12  
CarsonsMama

S/C/G: 192.4/*see ticker*/150

Height: 5'7''

I totally know how you feel! I haven't done good the past MONTH! I've really been not caring anymore, and I'm ready to turn it around, I've gained back like 6 pounds, and that makes me so mad! The next time I go grocery shopping, I won't be buying any junk food!!! (I definitely agree with TiaBear) Stay Positive, and Hang in there!!! You can do it!
mhuppert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:19 AM   #13  
April

S/C/G: 203/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6''

Oh girl,

I am in the same position that you are. I only binge when I'm not hungry. I can only eat normally when I'm hungry. It makes no sense. It's more a mental thing. For me I stay up later then I used to because of my night classes, so instead of sleeping I get bored and eat. It's terrible and each and everyone of us will have a different way of dealing with it. The only way I can control it is to have my boyfriend tell me to stop. Just like alot of the other girls said, try healthier food so you don't feel as bad. Baby carrots are good! Good luck! and just know that you are def. not alone in this one.
aprilcp12344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

I'll echo the others....Stay positive! I used to binge horribly, and while my weight never went above 165 or so, I can so relate to that psychological downward spiral that bingeing causes.

But you can "beat" this. I put that in quotes because I liken it to alcoholism.... I don't think you can truly beat the binge monster for once and for all, but I do think you can live in recovery. Today, sure I have my bingey episodes, but they are few and far between. And the size of my current-day binges are positively puny compared to the unbelievable amounts of food that I can remember putting away in my late teens and early 20's.

Some things that helped me....

* 3FC - getting non-judgemental support.
* I visited an ED board, and read some stories of people who were struggling with bingeing even worse than I was. Kind of shock therapy - made me realize that I had to get over it, or their stories might one day become my own.
*To the extent that you are able (not sure what your domestic situation is), get the junk out of the house. My DH and kids want some treats, and honestly, I think it would be selfish of me to say that they can't have ice cream once in a while. But I try to have treats for them that are not triggers for me.
* Exercise. Not only does it burn calories, but psychologically, it sets me up to eat well. I like to exercise first thing in the am - once I have exercised, I am much less likely to eat poorly - it makes me feel healthy, and I don't want to "undo" the exercise by bingeing.
* I could be wrong, but you actually sound like you could be a bit depressed - maybe talk to your dr. about this?
* I educated myself on the health ramifications of eating poorly and bingeing. I find the thought of type 2 diabetes to be extremely sobering, and am completely cancer-phobic, so if I feel a sugar craving coming on, I try to remember what it does to my healthy body. This one gets easier as I get older and more aware of my own mortality!
* Fake it till you make it - force yourself to groom yourself, get some clothes that fit well and look nice, get your hair done, etc. If you don't take care of yourself, you feel like crap, and if you feel like crap, you will eat like crap.
* If you feel a sugar craving, you know that bingey feeling, coming on, DON'T TAKE THAT FIRST BITE!!! Sometimes I can have just 2 cookies, but there are times that in my heart, I absolutely KNOW that I'm kidding myself to think that I will stop at 2. When you feel bingey, that first bite opens the floodgates.
* Don't totally deprive yourself - that only leads to bingeing ... eventually. Allow yourself some treats, but control the circumstances - eg. go out for a single ice cream with a friend, instead of buying a 2 litre container to take home and eat alone. Order a dessert (preferably to split!) at a restaurant, rather than having a whole pie in your fridge. Make cookies, but do it when you are giving the bulk of them away (kids' class party or whatever) - that way there's only a few of them in the house, instead of a few dozen.

Hope this helps a little.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:22 PM   #15  
mdl
whole foods bakery queen

you are so not alone in this -- i binge too. it helps me knowing that others out there struggle too -- especially b/c it is a disease of isolation. i NEVER binge around others ya know? so much shame and guilt and embarrassment are involved. i recommend reading any book by geneen roth....and trying to distinguish between physical hunger and emotional hunger...

granted me giving advice on not binging is like the pope teaching about being a wiccan, but still

i have avoided some binges by thinking about all of my loved ones, and if they were around me right now what would i do? and all the people who struggle with food, how they are rooting with me every step of the way and want me to be happy and healthy. i want that for you!!!

hopefully tmrw i can remember that for myself !
mdl is offline   Reply With Quote