Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 09-08-2007, 08:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 228/215/160

Height: 5 ft 5

Default Celexa-(citalopram) please tell me about your experience

Most of my years with anxiety and some depression i've taken effexor with other meds to mix, i was trying for awhile to get pregnant, and was on prozac, but the prozac isn't cutting it, so i'm postponing trying to get pregnant, i want to feel better, I want quality of life back. I've never tried this Celexa though, i hope it will help. I hate trying new meds.........
campbellredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

Height: 5'7"

I had wonderful results with Celexa. It works for me and a lot of the others don't. I had very few side effects after the first two weeks...AND...the only side effect that stuck was my loss of appetite. I didn't mind that one! Good Luck!
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #3  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

I had excellent results for depression on Celexa, but had to increase my dosage roughly every six to eight months. After two and half years, my doctor referred me and my medication changed. The change was hard, but I find my current meds offer me a mood stability that I lacked while taking Celexa. still, that two and a half years on Celexa was better than what went before

Best of luck!

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:39 AM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

Celexa did NOT work for me - but I have BiPolarII which was undiagnosed at the time so that is a MAJOR factor. I will say this - I had sexual side effects from it - very distinctly from it because I stopped taking it and then restarted to make sure that was it - and it was.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

I also have had depression and anxiety for many years and have experimented with many meds and combinations of meds. I finally was put on Wellbutrin which has been great for the depression but it acually made the anxiety worse. Celexa was then given to control the anxiety and so far I am feeling better than I have in years. Good luck with yours,
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 144/138/118

I just started on Celexa a week and a half ago. I haven't noticed much difference in my anxiety yet (I have anxiety, panic, OCD, and a form of bi-polar) but I'm sure you know, most of these types of meds take a few weeks to see any results. On a good note, I'm not having any bad side effects which is HUGE for me, I seem to get the most weird ones they list for the meds. Good luck in your search to find the right med for you.
bassetbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:59 AM   #7  

How are you doing now on the Celexa- bassetbabe? do you notice any improvement or side effects? I feel calmer definitely. I am tired mid afternoon and would like to take a nap every day if i could. I'm sleeping better.
Hope you are doing well on it.
Keep in touch.

Last edited by campbellredhead; 09-16-2007 at 01:00 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:31 AM   #8  

Seems to be going pretty good. My mood is up (it looks like its helping some of the depression I was having). My panic is going down but the anxiety is still there like before. I'm only on 20 mgs and go back to the doc in a couple weeks, maybe with increasing doses it might do even better. Oh and virtually no side effects, appetite is down a bit but I needed help with that anyway LOL
Old 09-17-2007, 01:19 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 247/229.4/147

Height: 5'2"

I loved Celexa so much, if I hadn't gotten pregnant I prob would still be on it. It seemed to give me energy and def helped with my depression and anxiety. I also had the awful(lol) side effect of loss of appetite.

Hope you do well with it.
southern_sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:20 PM   #10  

bassetbabe, I take 20mg in the morning and then 20mg either with dinner or before bed. My anxiety is feeling better, but i'm still feeling depressed. We'll see how it all works. My hunger is doing better, but unfortunately i don't only eat when i'm hungry.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:38 PM   #11  
Dieting Diva

My Dr put me on it for sleeping issues.I would lay awake at night and worry.I took Trodone in the past and it was really great. When my spouse left me at the end of July none of the over the counter meds would help me relax enough to sleep.
With the Citalopram I have noticed the need for an afternoon nap. I am not the living zombie that I was becoming before.I actually sleep well enough to remember some of my dreams.
I really wasn't that depressed or hysterical over my spouse leaving- I just wanted to be able to take something to insure that I would not spiral out of control every night laying in bed. I took about two weeks of Lexpro when I quit my job as a caseworker due to depression and it was a really bad experience. This stuff is great in comparison( even if I don't have the appetite issue).
sirak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:04 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 235/135

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up celexa helped me too

Hello,
I went on celexa about 6 months ago & immediately started sleeping through the night, which I hadn't done in years. Then I ran out, didn't refil & gradually the insomnia, etc. returned.
I just started back. I did have some nausea & I was tired all day, so I tried to cut my dosage in half....not working well, it is 2 am.
I'll just go back to the full dose & hope I adjust. I know after a few weeks on it I felt better before, so I'm going to give it some time.
keepnsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:01 AM   #13  

Now I haven't had the added bonus of getting a good nights sleep yet from it. I've been having a heck of a time sleeping, I do have some anxiety in my life and I know what it is, finally slept last night after taking a melatonin and Xanax (I hate having to take that though). Still doing ok on it, I do think the dosage needs upped a bit though, go back to the doc in a couple weeks.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:10 PM   #14  

Sunday evening i started realizing that i didn't feel right, but i didn't know how to explain it. Monday was worse, and the best i can describe, is kinda buzzed, but not a good buzz, and a drugged feeling, again not a good one, kinda numb, but the anxiety was there is the background. Monday night i started to get scared. Yesterday wasn't too bad. This morning i forgot to take my morning 20mg, and I've had a great day. Positive, and energetic etc....So i'm thinking maybe i'm on too much. 20mg am, 20mg pm. I have an apt next week. I think i will cut it down to 20mg at night and 10mg am, until i see the doctor.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellredhead View Post
... i'm thinking maybe i'm on too much. 20mg am, 20mg pm. I have an apt next week. I think i will cut it down to 20mg at night and 10mg am, until i see the doctor.
That does seem like a lot to start with. I started at 10mg/day for two weeks and then up to 20.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote