Old 09-17-2007, 03:00 PM   #1  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

Default Exercise question

I just started exercising and its been really easy because I have had 3 days off in a row and I did the workout in the afternoon when I would normally be wanting to snack. Although I have considered doing the video in my office with the door closed, I decided that wouldn't be terribly professional and besides, we have no shower at work.

The problem is, I HATE waking up early. Hate, Hate, Hate getting up before 7. In fact, if I have to get up before 7 for some reason, I usually wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning and start worrying about having to get out of bed so soon. I would have to get up at about 6:15 to be done in time to get ready for work. I know I can force myself to do it and eventually I will get used to it, but as an option, what would be the downside of doing my exercise at night? I vaguely remember hearing somewhere NOT to do that, but I don't recall why.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

It may be optimum on some levels to do it in the morning (I don't really know), but it's certainly NOT optimum if you don't do it at all!

I exercise when I can. Often that's late afternoon/evening!

You'll be more likely to stick to it if you can regularly work it into your day!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:22 PM   #3  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I normally exercise after work because I have the same problem. I occasionally get up and go early, but mostly I have a really hard time still with getting up early. Depending on how late you exercise and how early you go to bed you might have trouble getting to sleep, but I have never had that problem.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:22 PM   #4  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

You can exercise in the evening, but the downside is that if you do it too close to bed time, you may be too energized to sleep.
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:25 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

I completely relate to you. I used to think I had to exercise in the morning in order to be doing things "right," but I hated it. There are advantages and disadvantages to exercising at night, but I always exercise then, and - until I hit my latest blip (which is more about food than exercise) - I have had good success with it.

The advantage of exercising in the morning is that: 1 - You will be more likely to get it done, as you can move it back if something comes up and you miss your planned time, whereas if you exercise at night, that's trickier to reschedule. 2 - You rev up your metabolism first thing in the morning, and it stays elevated for several hours after you're done exercising. 3 - I find that I'm more energetic after I've exercised.

The advantages of exercising at night include: 1 - I am more likely to binge at night. If I'm planning on exercising, I know that a lot of food in my stomach will make the exercise more uncomfortable and less productive, so I stop eating about an hour before I go, which helps me control my urge to binge. When I get back, all I want is water, as food doesn't appeal to me for about an hour after I exercise. 2 - I am not always looking at the clock and curtailing my exercise to make sure I get somewhere on time. That way, I exercise longer and more productively.

I actually try to do something for twenty or thirty minutes after I get the kids off to school. (I work from home, so I have the advantage of a flexible schedule.) That way, I get some of the advantages of morning exercise. But I always enjoy the nightly exercise far more, and I get the advantages of that as well. Maybe a brisk walk in the afternoon would help rev up the metabolism, kill the afternoon snack cravings, and help you stay focused on your plan? Then you can do a more concentrated exercise routine in the evening.

Anyway, congrats on being so successful at getting your food in control. Exercise will only enhance that. One more thing on evening exercise, though. Sometimes, people have difficulty sleeping right after they get back. It's actually perfect for me. I have a list of daily tasks that I like to do while I'm winding down, and I'll usually get those done (while sucking down water) and get to sleep about 45 minutes after getting back.

Good luck!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:35 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Do it whenever you can, EVEN if you have to force yourself, whether it be in the wee hours of the morning, or the end of the day. You will be amazed, simply amazed what it does for you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Like everyone else said, do it when you can! And you can even break it up into chunks during the day if you don't want to do it at night--20 minutes here, 20 minutes there. Often, if you break it up like that, you can actually do more than if you think you have to spend 30 minutes straight.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:38 AM   #8  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

I work an early shift most of the time, and I'm not organised enough to exercise before work so I exercise after work.

This week and last week, I've been on a later shift and have exercised before work - it's about finding the time of day that works best for you.
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:58 AM   #9  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Hi,
I have worked my exercise time up, I started really easy because I just couldn't do more time on my elliptical trainer, but I did 5 days a week. Now I do 6-7 days a week, and about 60 minutes a day of exercise, Sunday I usually try and walk instead of any formal exercise, and I like that. I am a SAHM so I can do 60 minutes a day. Find what works for you and just do it.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote