Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default Women confused about ovarian cancer

Not fat related, just a public service announcement from a nurse/woman.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ienceandHealth
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:29 AM   #2  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Thank you, Susan. My Mom passed away from ovarian cancer in December 04.
Ovarian cancer research is a subject that is very near and dear to my heart. One promising bit of information.....the Mofftt Cancer Center in Tampa Florida is working on an early detection test and the results are promising.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:07 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Ovarian cancer is one of my concerns as well as I have 2 close relatives who have had it, one being my grandma.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

I think the symptoms listed are very important. You can't consider just pain or discomfort. Find me a woman over 12 who doesn't have abdominal pain or discomfort!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:53 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Oh one thing that I should mention is that one of my relatives was told she was pregnant! It was on her second visit that they discovered that it was growing too fast to be a baby.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:49 AM   #6  

My mom had a benign cyst but her doctor told her that it was likely malignant. Thank god he was wrong but this really makes me angry that there is not a better test. I don't understand why they are so hesitant to use one that might not be 100% correct -- I would far prefer to have a false positive than not.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:17 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

I had a bad ovarian cancer scare this past spring. Had constant nagging lower back pain for weeks and then all of a sudden - intense lower abdomen and pelvic pressure and bloating. I have Bipolar with anxiety so I totally got myself hysterical and had an emergency CT scan - it was fibroids. I agree that this is a VERY difficult illness to deal with. The symptoms are so generic. Doctors definately need to communicate better - my NP always reminds me when she does my Pap that it detects cervical cancer only.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:20 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

Wanted to add - I just recently found out that in addition to PCOS - I probably had premature ovarian failure and my doctor tells me this lowers my chances for ovarian cancer - does this make sense to anyone ?????
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchyonadiet View Post
Wanted to add - I just recently found out that in addition to PCOS - I probably had premature ovarian failure and my doctor tells me this lowers my chances for ovarian cancer - does this make sense to anyone ?????
The only thing I can think of is that if you have 'ovarian failure' your cells are not likely separating at as high a rate as normal. Since cancer is basically cells that split too rapidly the chances of you having ovarian cancer is less. I have no idea if this makes sense to you or if it is at all why you doctor said that. I just thought it sounded reasonable.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:16 AM   #10  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I have a close friend who has survived for five + years with Stage IIIA ovarian cancer, It had spread to the upper abdomen when she was diagnosed. Her first symptom was trouble urinating. Went to the ER because she couldn't empty her bladder. The ER doc didn't even do a pelvic exam. They just catheterized her and sent her home. She went to a urologist who knew it wasn't her bladder and said "Get to your gynecologist today!" A lot of time was wasted before she finally had surgery.

Another friend went to her family doc with constipation & abdominal pain ever since having her gallbladder out. Her doctor gave her laxatives and told her to come back in a month. Of course it wasn't just constipation. We buried her last December. If she had been treated sooner, she might still be here today.

Women need to be persistent and make sure their doctor does a pelvic exam and transvaginal ultrasound to rule out ovarian cancer. Don't let anyone put you off. Be your own advocate.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:57 AM   #11  
What's this button do?

S/C/G: 323/282/150

A dear friend of mine survived ovarian cancer, finishing chemo about a year ago. She had a lot of trouble and precious time wasted getting diagnosed, even with the docs knowing the history of ovarian cancer in the family.

The article also mentions HPV vaccination. It's pathetic that even though HPV is spread through sexual contact, the only vaccine developed is for girls/young women. I can't help but think it's sexist: "They pick up the virus from men, so let's vaccinate them against it. Since the men aren't generally affected by it, just let them remain being carriers and keep spreading it to unvaccinated women."

Last edited by Luminous; 09-18-2007 at 01:58 AM.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:26 AM   #12  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

That's interesting because I just read an article this weekend about men needing the vaccine to. The theory is that HPV gets passed with oral sex too and more men are developing HPV driven throat cancers and maybe the vaccine could help prevent this. Makes sense.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote