General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-11-2007, 11:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Question Do you believe

that common sense can be taught?
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:36 PM   #2  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

Absolutely, I feel as parents we begin teaching our children common sense from birth!

I am looking forward to reading other responses.
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:48 AM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

No - some people just seem to have it and others don't. You can see this, I think, right from childhood. Remember those kids who made odd decisions that made no sense, like jumping off the top of the monkeybars, while other kids chose not to. I think a certain amount of common sense can be taught, but to "have it", well, you are just lucky!

Last edited by freiamaya; 09-12-2007 at 12:48 AM.
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My family would say no, because the always said I was so smart, but had no common sense. Actually, what I've found that to mean for myself is that I sometimes get so excited about a creative idea that I forget to think it through, and end up with unforeseen consequences.

That being said, I worked as a counselor and probation officer for many years, and met so many people without basic survival skills. I had a lady on probation who really didn't understand why she was getting fired from jobs for being late, and didn't own an alarm clock. Her parents hadn't had one, so she didn't either.

Sometimes what we think of as common sense is actually knowledge that that we were taught (or learned through observation) so early and so naturally we don't even remember learning it.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

I don't think common sense can be taught. I think that certain skills and disciplines can be taught-like the alarm clock thing, but not common sense.

Basically, this is what an IQ test is. An IQ test isn't based on how educated you are, or how much knowledge that you have from schooling, books, etc. but instead a reading of how quickly and effeciently your brain works/thinks.

There are people who have college degrees who don't "get" a simple joke...or people who have college educations who can't keep control of their finances.

There are about 17 people in my and my husband's family with no common sense...and I don't see them getting any, any time soon.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:27 AM   #6  
I restore Teeth.

John Locke would disagree with this. On the second Treatise of Government, I think Locke basically stated that common sense is based on the ideals of the many, or "common". Things that are innately intuitive are what we would refer to as common sense, but a lot of times, it has to be dealt dearly on how someone is taught. I would say that whatever society we gree up in would affect our common sense. So yes, in part I would say it could be partially taught, even though in many aspects it would never be. I cant bring up touchy subjects because they may be political, so I will leave it at that.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #7  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Okay - I'm going to say no - but I'm going to qualify this with my understanding of the word 'taught'. Let's change 'taught' to 'learned'. Can common sense be LEARNED? Absolutely. We learn through experience - success, failure, pleasures, disappointments and so on. Can ANOTHER person TEACH us to have common sense? No - that's just a lecture.

But most people, as they grow up (at whatever age!) begin to learn common sense... I am a late learner myself, though my sister, with her differing experiences, grew into an adult with a good deal of common sense at a much younger age than I have.

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:25 PM   #8  
Pending Email Confirmation

Hmmm... we talked a lot about this in my household because it seems to be a family trait in my husbands family to be lacking in common sense. And I mean _LACKING_ in it!

I think it's a combination of personality and childhood examples and education that does it. I do not think an adult can be "taught" to have common sense. Like said before - it is learned, but it is a personal experience.

It sure is frustrating for those of us with it, to coexist closely with those who do not... mostly because we want to teach it to them, through lectures, sighs, beatings about the head... but it doesn't work. Believe me I have tried!
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #9  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Okay, I don't know but if there is one let me know, lol! I know a lot of people who are book smart, intelligent actually but have NO common sense what-so-ever!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:38 PM   #10  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/ticker/147

Height: 5'7''

hmmm... interesting!!

A lot of my really intelligent friends i find have less common sense than the less intelligent
leah_0600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziness View Post

It sure is frustrating for those of us with it, to coexist closely with those who do not... mostly because we want to teach it to them, through lectures, sighs, beatings about the head... but it doesn't work. Believe me I have tried!

Yep...this is how I feel much of the time.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #12  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAngel View Post
Okay - I'm going to say no - but I'm going to qualify this with my understanding of the word 'taught'. Let's change 'taught' to 'learned'. Can common sense be LEARNED? Absolutely. We learn through experience - success, failure, pleasures, disappointments and so on. Can ANOTHER person TEACH us to have common sense? No - that's just a lecture.

But most people, as they grow up (at whatever age!) begin to learn common sense... I am a late learner myself, though my sister, with her differing experiences, grew into an adult with a good deal of common sense at a much younger age than I have.

Heather
I think I pretty much agree with this. I'm like kaplods (Colleen), my family has always said I'm book smart but had little common sense. And I do stupid things sometimes that common sense would have clearly prevented. But here's where it gets tricky...I learn from my mistakes. Does the ability to learn from your stupid mistakes suggest the existence of common sense?
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:24 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

You'll also find "common sense" being used as a judgement of one group against another group. What is thought of as "common sense" sometimes is just "things we were taught, that THEY don't know"

Is it common sense to come in out of the rain? What if you LIKE playing in the rain - do you lack common sense, or are you just unaware or unconcerned with the common "rule" that one must come in out of the rain.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:30 PM   #14  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAngel View Post

Heather
very well put, I agree.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #15  

It CAN bet taught, although some people have a limited capacity for it --

However most people are taught the opposite of common sense, in fact having attended Catholic school I can say that there are times you learn to hide your common sense when it collides with "faith-based" matters, which it often does, or get in big BIG trouble!

We definitely need more common sense and rationality in this world and less religion! IMO!
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote