Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 03:19 PM   #1  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Default Cla?

anyone got anything to report on CLA tablets? (conjugated linoleic acid) i've come across some really interesting journal articles regarding its effects on mamals and rodents but also a promising one int eh internations journal of obesity. http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v2.../0801659a.html

i'm considering testing it out as of thursday (start of new diet week after weigh in) for 4 weeks to see if it helps
Old 09-11-2007, 03:41 PM   #2  
it's always something

Previous studies have shown that it can help to keep fat off, but doesn't help to lose it, though one study showed an increase of a half pound a month extra lost. (edited - 0.8 lb per month which is almost a pound, not a half pound lol)

However, recent studies have shown potentially serious side effects. Every one I know that was taking it has stopped.

According to an article in the NY Times
Quote:
Researchers have found that it can increase blood levels of C-reactive protein, lipoprotein and leptin — all of which can heighten the risk of heart disease. There is also some evidence that taking C.L.A. daily increases insulin resistance, a sign of impending Type 2 diabetes.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:56 PM   #3  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

i dont' suppose you have the title of the research or the link to an abstact? by any chance i'd really like to read that it sound interesting.

i just did a quick scan of google scholar and found numerous studies suggesting the opposite with regards to leptin. and also lipoprotiens have dramatically reduced activity.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #4  
it's always something

The NY Times article didn't list it. You can read the article here. You'll need to sign up for an account to read it, but the account is free.
Closed Thread