Old 08-27-2007, 07:17 PM   #1  

Default Coconut Telegraph - Goodbye summer :(

It may still be summer, but once we're back to school, it may as well be over. DD and I have decided that since we got out of school on the first day of summer, we shouldn't have to return to school until the first official day of fall which isn't for 3 more weeks. We should at least have one more week and go back after Labor Day. No luck.

Today was my first day back in h*ll. Remember last year's h*ll working in two schools, and the principal from h*ll? This year I'm at my original school with a grant to teach full-day pre-k. We were never told that the parents were going to have to pay tuition. We all thought this grant was covering all costs. It is about to hit the fan. These parents registered their children under the impression that they were getting free pre-k, NOT Okay, that was my issue today. Some colleagues didn't fare as well. One's aide quit and the city froze hiring. Two teachers were told to switch classrooms today...the day before the kids arrive. This could have been done over the summer, but no. Another teacher on leave because of her DH's death and then a serious injury to her arm and leg, had the early childhood department in her room "reorganizing" which is code for throwing away all her stuff!!!!! I don't know about any of you, but I bought about 1/3 of my classroom stuff with my own money. If they came in my room and just started tossing stuff in the trash, I would have a fit. Unfortunately, she won't be back for several weeks. None of us have the heart to tell her what's become of her classroom. A bright, shiny, new 4th grade teacher started today. Just picturing her makes me laugh...shame on me. That poor little thing has no idea what she is in for!!! She is very naive and is full of idealistic thoughts. I wonder how long it will take for my city to crush her. They pretty much destroyed me within the first few weeks...and by the end of the first year, I knew I'd never be the same. Our sunshine club person wants us all to give $50 to cover the dues for the year. Is it me, or is $50 a bit steep? Last year, I didn't sign up because of the cost. Only a handful of teachers signed up for the same reason, but nobody would admit that they couldn't afford it. Today, I just said it. "$50 is not in my budget." It wasn't accepted well by her, and unfortunately all those who felt the same way stayed quiet.

Kids come tomorrow.
Summerrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:49 PM   #2  
KAR

Hi Summer! Sounds like your day was h**l! I hope tomorrow goes better for you. I agree with you that $50 is a bit much. Why is it so high? I thought the ten dollars for my school was a bit much. But I am a cheap skate anymore.
Miss Mermaid and Ginger hope all is well with you!
My sister's birthday is today. We met for lunch and then have hung out the rest of the day. Now I am off to spend the night with her at her hotel. So I will check back in tomorrow.
Have a great Tuesday!
Kerry
KAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:16 AM   #3  
KAR

Hope you are all having a great week and getting into the swing of things. I am off to school for a few hours. Need to finish getting my lesson plans ready for the first week next week. Check in with you all later.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:10 PM   #4  
burned out bus driver

I WANT MY SUMMER BACK! I DON"T WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

That felt good. Hope you are all doing well, and will forgive me for being terminally absent. I am trying to get everything done before the bomb hits next week, plus I have been training a lot.
Hi Mermaid, Summerr and Kerry.........miss you all.
Ginny

Last edited by ECmom; 08-30-2007 at 08:56 AM.
ECmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:49 PM   #5  
KAR

Having an interesting night in my neighborhood. We have an escaped prisoner on the loose. We have the cops staked out in our driveway! Can my life get more exciting then this? Thank God this is not really a school night since I can't sleep knowing that luntic is out there close by.
Ginny thanks for popping in. We were starting to get worried about you. Glad things are fine with you. Just really busy.
Miss Mermaid and Summer Hope your school week is going well! Have we gotten into a routine with our kids yet?
Night off to peek out the windows and see what I can see again.
Chat with you later.
Kerry
Old 08-30-2007, 08:56 AM   #6  
burned out bus driver

Well, Kerry, I see the local authorities have not yet figured out that I am the escapee.......hehehehe! I hope that they apprehend the prisoner- for everyone's safety and well being. We had that happen here once, and it is such an unsettling feeling. Hope it goes well for you today.

Summerrrr- now with a few (only few) minutes to myself I read your post. I will be praying for you regarding your staffing situation.....not sure what else to call it. It stinks that what was expected to be "free" is not, and I can expect that the parents will be very difficult to deal with, even though none of this is your fault. And moving staff around so late in the game?? Huh? Is that even legal? I would expect that a teacher should be sort of preparing for the next school year over the summer- not working per se but just getting organized. And to be switched at the last moment, really puts a strain on ones professionalism. I would skip the $50 sunshine club too......ours is $10 and I do participate (even though many think the person who runs it pockets some of the cash....how ridiculous is that) I hope that you are surviving all this turmoil........I will be praying for you.

Robyn?! Who is also starting a new school year with an overly filled plate. How are you doing? How is your mom? I am thinking and praying for you too. Hope life settles down into a managable rythm soon.

Gotta take the cats to the vet for a check up this am....Got my WW tape in...
last nite Ds (college freshman) melted down, literally, over his schedule and desire to find a new major. So, at 10 pm we tried to come up with plan B- so that he can go into the "undeclared" category and get himself into the career assessment center (something I told him to do in May but he got stubborn on me!). Parenting does not get easier gang.......seems tougher as they get older.
Hopefully I can stay away from stress eating today. Finally got to a meeting on Wed (first in a month!) and was up 2#- which considering it was a month is not too awful.
Better go get ready for the visit to the vet.
G
Old 08-30-2007, 05:08 PM   #7  
burned out bus driver

Well, the fat cat lost weight....which is good news. The bratty little cat screamed the whole time....and then, bit me twice.
Its gonna take a major event for me to not eat myself into oblivion tonite, Ds came home with another meltdown from college today. He is unsure of what he wants to do, and is so confused. Think I earned my counselling degree today...started on it last nite as I mentioned.
Guess I'd better go finish getting dinner on. Dh was tired today and did not feel well, so a prompt dinner would be nice.
Anyone got a nice padded cell for me?
Ginger
Old 08-30-2007, 06:49 PM   #8  

Girls, I didn't mean to be MIA, but GOSH!!! IT IS SOOOOO HARD TO GO FROM MAINTAINING A CLEAN HOUSE, HOSTING PLAYDATES, SUNNING MYSELF, SWIMMING, AND READING A MULTITUDE OF BOOKS TO WRANGLING 3 & 4 YEAR OLDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY CRAP!!! I really did forget how hard my job is. I had a fabulous, spectacular summer lounging in my backyard. Yes, I had household chores, but I didn't have 18 lunatics poking me in my leg and screaming at the top of their lungs while I was trying to get them done. And, some of DD's friends may be a little spoiled, but one at a time is nothing compared to the MAYHEM OF MY CIRCUS OF A CLASSROOM. I really am great at blocking out trauma, because I really did forget how bad it can be. Yes, they are adorable, particularly while napping, but good Lord Louise they are taking every little bit of energy I have. And, that is why I haven't been here. I forced myself to visit with you all today because I've been away all week. I'll be back on my long weekend when I catch my breath and get some much needed rest.

Ginny: Your boy will find himself. He's not the first to change majors and feel confused like this.

Kerry: Good luck with school.

Robyn: I hope you and mom are alright. Feel a hug.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:03 PM   #9  
KAR

Evening Ladies,
They found the convict this morning and captured him. He knocked on our next door neighbor's bedroom window around 7. He asked her to call his mom, she called the police instead. He took off on foot but was found in the field down the street from our house. So I am feeling better.
Ginny how are things with your ds? I think that a lot of kids are like that their first year in college. They have a lot of choices to make and it overwhelms them. I know that several of our friends kids have changed their majors once or twice already. Do you still need us to find you a padded rubber room?
Mermaid how are you doing? Hope you are surviving this year. Hope your mom is recovering nicely.
Summer, sorry to hear that your little ones are a handful right now. Just think you will get them into shape by Christmas time and then that break will undo all you have taught them. LOL So you are really going to enjoy this long weekend,huh?
I think we are suppose to go over to a friends house tomorrow evening for a party. Going to another friend's house to watch the Ohio State/YSU game. This is going to be a tough game to watch for me. I went to YSU and cheer for the Buckeyes. I want both teams to win. Sometime I have to get my lesson plans done for the first week of school. Maybe I will work on that on Monday afternoon.
Well I think I am going to check out a few things on line. Chat with you all later.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Kerry
Old 09-01-2007, 10:30 AM   #10  

Talking

A short break from the mayhem of pre-k...teenie weenie cuties with tears and 'tudes. Since Monday, the weather around here has been 80's and sunny. Thank God it decided to hang around for the weekend. I'm going to pretend that the last five days never happened by going swimming and sunning myself. Unfortunately, I agreed to sing with a small group in church tomorrow, but other than that little blip in my weekend as well as dishes, laundry, and grocery shopping, the majority of my weekend will be spent in the summery weather. Our governor is proposing a law to prevent schools from opening before Labor Day weekend. I am definitely behind that one!!! State law is for school to be in session 180 days, but we have to show off and go for 183 days. Do those three extra days make the kids any smarter?! If they make us tack on those days in June, I wouldn't care much, because the real summer weather doesn't kick in till July. We get a lot of rain in June, so even though it is hot, you can't really enjoy it anyway. August is usually hotter, and it is torture for us to be in school so early. We'll see what happens!

I'm off to deal with chores so that this afternoon and evening can be dedicated to enjoying Labor Day weekend. Enjoy!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 06:59 AM   #11  
KAR

Morning,
It is back to school for me today! I had a hard time sleeping last night and an even harder time getting up when the alarm went off. Just wanted to say a quick hello. Hope everyone had a nice weekend. I know I did we went to three parties and I ate to much. So back to the diet block I go. Chat with you all later.
Kerry
Old 09-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #12  
burned out bus driver

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Say it aint so!!!!!!!! Tomorrow I get tofire up my big yellow submarine. Ugh. Bring on the tylenol.\

Miss Summerrr- feel my hug- and my sympathies. How are you managing with a classroom of such young children? I can't imagine a group so large at that age. You will prevail- please remember, this is just the beginning, and once you establish law and order and some routines it will be fine. I think Thanksgiving is generally considered the turnaround time- when most kids fit into a schedule and are more orderly. Bless you......I will be praying for you.

Kerry- glad to see that you can sneak in mid day like last year! I hope i will be able to also. How did today go? Was your weekend relaxing?
Going to TOPS tonite (it is your nite to go isn't it?). DOn't sweat the parties, most will be up this week, I think. Hope your week goes well.

Ms Mermaid- I am thinking of you and your mom and your family. Hang in there. We miss you, but understand. Stop in to say hello when you can. I am due for a vintage Mermaid rant and rave.

Can't believe that the music starts for real tomorrow........got a 2 mile walk in this am and am trying to get some last minute stuff done before I lose my life to a school bus. Started taking the pool down today....
Will chat tomorrow!
Ginger
Old 09-04-2007, 07:28 PM   #13  

I'm pleased to report that I did as promised...I spent the majority of my weekend in the sun and pool. DH looks like a lobster!

Although my school day is still filled with unprofessional interruptions from the secretary, last minute additions to my waiting list, and uninvited visitors from the community, the day seems more peaceful this year. Yes, students still hurt each other and end up in time-out. They still pee on themselves and my furniture and leave their required "change of clothes" at home. It is HOTTER than hades in my classroom with no sign of cooling off anytime soon. However, the fact that I no longer have to maintain two classrooms, travel midday, do two dismissals, and don't need to fit tons of curriculum into 2 hours is quite relaxing actually. I now have several hours to accomplish my goals for each day, and I don't leave the building till I go home. I knew that what I was doing was hard, but now that I have this slower pace, I feel quite wonderful. The ordinary bullcrap doesn't really bother me as much. The fact that the principal insists on my students having their 10 minute recess (all the district allows! Thanks NCLB!) to be scheduled during the middle of their naptime, isn't freaking me out as much as usual because I know that eventually she will have to come to her senses or the Early Childhood Dept. will have to step in. The parents that drop off late and forget to pick up their kids don't bother me nearly as much as they did last year. Being in one place all day with one group of kids is HEAVEN!

Ginger: Sorry that the party is over, but since I've already been back for over a week, you won't get too much sympathy from me. I still love you! I hope you have a wonderful school year with lovely passengers who behave themselves all year!!!Safe driving!!!
Kerry: I'll be back on program soon. I will be rejoining WW after I get paid. In the meantime, I'm nowhere near being on.
Mermaid: Let us know how you and your mom are. We totally miss you and are overdue for your ranting and raving.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:39 PM   #14  
KAR

Evening Ladies,
Well I survived the first day today. It was interesting to say the less. I have 10 kids in my classroom this year. Four of them are brand spanken new. So I have to get them into my routine quickly. OUt of the 10 I have 6 that are constant talkers. YIKES!
Went to TOPS this evening. After being gone for two weeks, I only gained 3 3/4 pounds. So that isn't as bad as I thought it would be. So I am hoping that being back at school will help me start losing weight again. I need to start doing things for me again.
Ginger, have fun tomorrow driving your precious little angels to and from school. Did you get your last minute stuff done? How is your ds doing with college now? Hope things worked out for him.
Summer, gald you enjoyed your weekend in the sun and pool. Sorry to hear that dh is looking like a lobster these days. Hope you don't decide to cook him for dinner one night! LOL You sound more relaxed with your school day this year oppose to the past few years.
Miss Mermaid we miss you. Hope things are going great for you and your mom. Like Ginger and Summer said we miss your rants and raves. Come back and visit us soon.
Well I need to go and do some computer work. They don't have the computers set up in my classroom yet. I want to type out a few things to pass out to my kids to take home to their parents. So hopefully I can do some of that tonight. Or if all else fails do it tomorrow night.
Enjoy your evening!
Kerry
Old 09-05-2007, 12:47 PM   #15  
burned out bus driver

Hi Ya'll!

Summerrr- please tell your dh that they do not make lobster pots big enough for adult men, perhaps he should try sunscreen next time! (mine is stubborn too!) I love your positive attitude, turning this years challenges from lemons into lemonade. In just a few short weeks, some of your headaches should be ironed out. It is so tough with the little ones. You sound much, much more peaceful than you did last year, with the split days.
I am completely convinced that in the not to distant future, all the bladder accidents will become a trickle (pun intended!0. Great to hear that you will be rejoining WW- going to do meetings or go online again?

Kerry- considering there was a holiday weekend in there, 3 3/4# is just a small bleep on the radar....nothing to worry about. Isn't it sad, how when our lives become so much more busy with work and the like that we think of finding more time for ourselves? Me too, I have to refocus on losing weight- I gained a few # this summer (4 to be exact) and really want to get this over with. As far as your 6 constant talkers, does duck tape help? Perhaps it is just the beginning of the year jitters and some of them will calm a bit.
Have you been able to get a workout or two in (my sister in sweat!).

Got my WW tape in this am...am going to a meeting Friday am, after my mammogram. I agree with Kerry, that I am trying to find a routine and some time for myself now that school is back in order. This mornings route went, for the most part ok. For the first time in 5 years, I will only have 2 students per seat for my elementary. Wow.......when I started almost the entire bus was 3 to a seat, and it was insane. Worse than insane.
2 to a seat is managable- and I can really focus on keeping the kids well behaved with greater ease. For this most part this am went well.
Gotta go face my afternoon.

Ms Mermaid- gosh we miss you!!!!!!!!!
Ginger