Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-03-2007, 08:56 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Talking Yoga ????

I was wondering if anyone who has experience with this can help me out. I have always been interested in trying this - the mind/body connection and I practice Wicca so seems like a good fit etc. I have balance issues - I usually have to hold on or rest my hands on the treadmill while doing it daily and I seem to do the funny sidestep thing at times - not sure why. Anyway - would yoga help my balance at all ??? I think it will help with stretching out muscles - yes ?????

Thank you !!!
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

I don't know about balance (I go through life a bit off balance myself, maybe I'm just a klutz), but it will definitely help with stretching out your muscles - and strengthening them. I do yoga a few times a week and I also run regularly - I think yoga has been great for helping keep me loose and well stretched.
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:30 PM   #3  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Witchy - I just went to a class hybridizing yoga/pilates. I am just beginning to exercise again after being a total sloth for over 3 years. I swear I couldn't even stand on one leg for 2 seconds. But my friend tells me that he was the same way before doing yoga and now is keeping up just fine in the classes. So I am hopeful. And this class did emphasize the mind/body connection. I will be returning.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

Hmmm - ok - thank you for your responses. I think I'm going to give it a try. I do the treadmill everyday for 45 - 60 minutes and want to add some other types of things in - this may be just the thing. When I get down about 23 more pounds I'm going to ATTEMPT to go to the Y to start working on upper body stuff at the gym. I have severe anxiety issues and the gym is a MAJOR stumbling block for me
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:13 PM   #5  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Regarding the gym -
I don't know what your anxieties are - for me it is being there during prime time when the population density is so high. (I feel kind of claustrophobic.) Thankfully I have a job where I can do some flex time about that.
Have you tried just doing yoga at home? I am going to supplement with that -- I still have my old yoga book, which I see is still popular so it must have some value!
http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Hittle.../dp/0911104216
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:54 PM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

WITCHY ~ I have never done yoga but my wife does all the time. She is 47 and still can do "amazing" things with her body in the way of bending! I say to do it!! She loves to stretch and do yoga classes, it makes her feel so much better. Give it time to work for you. Prayers for your anxiety issue! I think losing 100 pounds will have been a lot harder than a yoga class..YOU CAN DO THIS!!...Hugs, Gary
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

yoga is a great way to stretch the whole body and connect with the mind and spirit...and as long as you don't have any reason that's causing you to feel off balance (ie a health issue causing it vs you and gravity not being friends), then yoga is for everyone. There are some really great dvds out there if you don't want to go to class..i love yoga. I would recommend starting with basic yoga...there are many good dvd out there i would recommend. Yoga zone makes several dvds that are good. And just remember don't do more than your body can handle, listen to your body and thr repetition, you will be able to look like the pros and get into the deep stretches they are doing... Also, down the road when you get comfy with basic yoga..i would highly suggest power yoga (i've recently started that)..i have an awesome dvd right now that will give you an awesome upper body workout with out the need for a gym. Not that i'm trying to discourage you from facing yoru phobias/anxieties

btw too...there's a website...yogatoday.com that has some free downloads that you can try...some of them are ok and some not ok...but its a good way to see if its something you might like. Good luck!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:09 AM   #8  
paso a paso

S/C/G: 160/125/126

Height: reaching for 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchyonadiet View Post
Anyway - would yoga help my balance at all ???
I think it will definitely help you with balance--I think it has helped me a lot. You'll learn a lot about body alignment, which is related to balance. You'll learn just how to stand up straight, how to sit, how to stand in one spot without drifting around, and how to stand on one foot, simple things like that. If you go to classes, the instructor can help you with your balance by showing you where you are out of alignment. Small adjustments in your posture can make a big difference.

There are tons of different kinds of yoga out there, so you might ask around in your community and do research online to find a class/tape/book that meets your needs.
mariposita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:48 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Yoga is a lot of fun and will definitely help with balance, posture, flexibility, muscle tone, relaxation, I could go on and on..... Go for it and have fun...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote