Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-03-2007, 04:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

Default ??s about Exercising?

Hey folks-
I just posted in the September goals thread. I've reaffirmed my commitment to working out at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes. My problem is I'm frustrated since I feel like I need to work out more and longer to see results but am unable to do so due to my fitness level just not being there yet. Did anybody here when they were first starting out see results even with just 30 minutes three times a week? I would greatly appreciate some motivation!
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:17 AM   #2  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

To make things short:

If you have never exercised before to the level you plan on exercising now (example: walking vs. never getting out, walking briskly vs. usually simply strolling leisurely, jogging vs. walking... etc...), you WILL see results even with 'only' half an hour.

Half a hour being already more than lots of people I know, including thin people, tend to do daily.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:35 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey blonde,

"Exercise" doesn't have to mean "working out." It can also mean taking a walk every day, using hand weights at home while watching TV, doing an easy exercise video, riding a bike... in other words, don't think it has to be "do or die" or it doesn't count.

The idea is to be more active! Good luck!

P.S. I'm moving your thread to the Exercise forum where I think you'll get more help.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:52 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I began my journey much heavier then you. I started walking 15 minutes at a time, 4X a week. I did notice I was getting results and strived to keep on increasing that. I quickly went to 18 mins, then 20 and 23 and so on. I also began doing it 2 X a day. I figured if I couldn't go longer at one time, that doing it 2X daily would benefit me, and it did! That's something that you may want to consider.

I think it's important to get in some sort of activity most days of the week. There are days when I used to just crank up the radio and dance my fool head off.

Keep at it and you'll be amazed at just how quickly your stamina will increase. Good luck.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

Kery-Thanks for the words of encouragement.

LOL Rockinrobin.. That's exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks! So it isn't unreasonable to split up and exercise two times a day 30 minutes each time since I've heard an hour a day will really do wonders. My husband kind of thought that was crazy.

JayEll- I know that me exercising doesn't have to be "do or die".. LOL In fact that's how I used to exercise being on the dance team in high school. I'm not eager to return to those days! We often practiced 2 1/2 hours five days a week, if not more if it was a difficult dance routine. I just get frustrated because I'm still mad at myself for letting myself get to this point since I miss my old body and being able to physically do a lot of things and I still had plenty of energy left over! I'm only 23 too so I feel old due to how my body feels right now.

I have a treadmill and a bunch of dance videos. I use the treadmill when I need time to think and then the dance videos for fun. I do try to mix it up so I don't get bored. I did get a swimsuit that I actually fit in but my pool here has been closed all summer due to the fact the management didn't maintain the pool properly while we had all that rain this summer here in Texas and gunk got into the pipes and they basically have had to tear apart the pools here to fix it. Is that a good idea to mix things up? I've also heard that your body after a certain period of time gets "used" to specific exercising?

thanks all!
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:24 AM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

It is a very very good idea to mix things up. Anything to keep you interested and moving!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #7  

Hi Blonde!

You'll definitely see some results from "just" 3X per week. I think that is a great start for you. But keep in mind, that if you stick with it, you'll probably end up wanting to do more, or add more. Such as twice a day or more times per week. I know once I get motivated, it's almost addicting! LOL! Which isn't a bad thing. I do some form of exercise every day of the week, even if it is just walking a mile at the park on my lunch hour... everyday I do something. I try to stick to a routine of 5 days per week on my elliptical, adding a minute or two each day. I started back at this 2 weeks ago, doing one mile per day which is 20 minutes, last week I started adding the minute extra. Today I went 1.3 miles and 29 minutes. My goal this week is to be at 35 minutes on it. I also have added walking at the park Monday - Friday on my lunch hour, which is another mile per day.
I find that the more active I am, the more I want to be active everyday.

Good luck and stay motivated.

You'll see results if you keep it up.
alie is offline   Reply With Quote