General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-31-2007, 07:35 PM   #1  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Default Arrrggghhh - the WASTE!

So, I have a locked mailbox and being a generally lazy person I attempt to empty it about once a week so it doesnt overfill (god I loved the one at my old house, I could hold nearly 3 weeks with no danger of it overfilling)

So this week I emptied it. The pile was about 8 inches tall and weighed ~10 lbs. (god bless my mailman, he can cram that stuff in) I did a quick sort (absolutely junk vs. could POSSIBLY have some merit so I better at least LOOK at it)

So then I was down to 1 lb in the "at least open it pile"

So then I took THAT pile and opened it and about 0.9 lbs went in the can and I was left with about 0.1 lb in the keep pile.

And of those 0.1 lbs. ONE sheet of paper had something that required me to do something. ONE. A sheet of paper is about 1/6 oz or 0.01 lb. So less than 0.1% of the paper in my mailbox was really of use. The rest was all put straight into recycling and about 8 sheets were filed never to be seen again.

And this is WITH me automatic bill paying and electronically statementing everything under the sun except for a few choice accounts. AND routinely trying to get off mailing lists. SHEESH.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:29 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I know. It's incredible. The only thing to do is... move! And don't forward. LOL

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:27 PM   #3  
I See Less Every Day

I too get more junk mail then real mail. One of my friends take all of those credit card apps and other junk. Shreads everything but the envelopes and mails the empty envelops back to the company. The postage is always pre paid. She thinks that if companines get enough empties back they will eventually quit sending it. Maybe I'll try it.
clessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:57 PM   #4  
Pending Email Confirmation

I agree - it is ridiculous! No wonder I talk to people at work all the time that are 2 months late on their bill with us and never knew because they didn't bother to open all the mail we sent them - thought it was junk mail! I believe them!
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:08 AM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by clessofme View Post
I too get more junk mail then real mail. One of my friends take all of those credit card apps and other junk. Shreads everything but the envelopes and mails the empty envelops back to the company. The postage is always pre paid. She thinks that if companines get enough empties back they will eventually quit sending it. Maybe I'll try it.
I just shove everything I can get back into their postage paid envelopes and send them back!

I have 2 friends that are postwomen....I figure I am helping them keep their jobs!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Exclamation

Does anybody get bank statements, one for each IRA, CD, annuity or whatever other financial vehicle you have, in a separate envelope for each? Not only is it wasteful of paper, it's wasteful of the bank's $ because they're paying 41¢ or whatever for every single envelope when they could get several of them in one envelope for the same 41¢

:: me me me ::
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:48 PM   #7  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

Unfortunately, it's a worldwide thing. I've just cleared my letterbox - there are fliers from every supermarket, including the ones that are located on the other side of the city which I never go anywhere near, fliers from every possible shop I can think of. And they haven't even started with the Christmas junk yet!

One year, I decided I'd keep all the junk mail I got just to see how much I got in a month. I lasted about 10 days before I couldn't handle it anymore and gave up.

I've thought about getting a "no junk mail" sign to put out, but that would mean I'd miss out on the 2 community papers that come out twice a week, and I actually like those...
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:41 AM   #8  
Pending Email Confirmation

we missed getting the mail all week and our box was crammed full - my brother in law got about 7 offers for credit cards... we got stacks of junk - two coupon booklets for the same store... out of everything there was one magazine and one piece of actual mail. Ah - the insanity!

Also - for people who hate getting a zillion statements... some banks like the one i work for are actually CHARGING people to mail them a statement. I think that is kinda crappy - penalizing people for not having a computer in my opinion - but I guess it gets the point across that the bank doesn't want to mail it any more than the customer wants it.
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:00 AM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
I heard of another extreme, where somebody put a brick into a large envelope and taped the postage paid envelope to the outside of it and mailed it back.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:18 PM   #10  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Make sure at the very least that you are recycling all this paper. We put out a full recycle bin every 2 weeks and I would say most of it is junk mail, flyers and the community free newspaper. I like the idea of mailing back the post paid envelope, can you imagine the back log at the post office if everyone did that?
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:32 PM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Yeah - our community went to the big recycling trash cans. I think they are roughly 60 gallons? We fill one every 2 weeks easy.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #12  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Once my fiance's dad sent back an envelope full of pennies. lol.
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:12 AM   #13  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Wow. @_@ We don't get that much junk mail around here. We can go for about a week without checking the mail before the box gets full.
we don't have a recycling place here, so I guess it's a good thing we are light on the junk mail.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:34 AM   #14  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I don't understand how some towns/cities don't recycle in this day and age (not blaming the people who live there, but the town/city governments). I recycle EVERYTHING that I possibly can. It bothers me that we can only recycle plastics with number 1 or 2. But I recycle ALL my junk mail. You know, you can just throw those paper envelopes with the plastic see-through things in your recycle bin. That amount of plastic isn't going to make much of a difference!

I really want to compost, but we have a SMALL yard, and already have some problems with mice getting in the basement. I don't want to do anything more to draw them to our property. Whenever we move, we want a much bigger lot and then I will compost and put it FAR from the house. The furthest place on our lot from our house right now is only something like 25 feet. Not far enough for me to feel like we won't be attracting mice.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:36 AM   #15  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

You know I was complaining one day in the grocery store to my friend about the amount of "junk" that I get in the mail, and our mail carrier was there and over heard me....he was mad at me because I said it would be fine with me if they only delivered Mon-Fri and they should cut out all that "crap" that comes....he said to me "no then I wouldnt have a job, this "junk", as you put it helps feed my family". I didnt even know what to say I just walked away.
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote