General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-31-2007, 11:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: healthy

Height: 5'7.5"

Default Arggh! Old habits die hard!

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right forum, but I need to get something off my chest. I have been a regular pothead for almost 10 years and have been recently trying to give it up. I had two weeks of success, but then my boyfriend and I moved out of our 1 bedroom apartment into a 3 bedroom house with two of our friends. Now our house is the hang-out spot for all our friends (who all smoke pot). We're trying to keep the smoking in the basement, so everyone leaves the living room to smoke leaving me sitting all alone! I've cut down a lot from my previous use, but I just can't seem to resist on some days.

The big problem as far as losing weight is concerned is that any resolve to eat healthy goes up in smoke . Hehe. I know it has had a lot to do with the extra 30+ lbs I've gained since high school. I really have no problem with cravings otherwise and if I do, I eat a serving of whatever I'm craving and move on. Last night I was on track, but then decided, "I'll just smoke a little." Well...that resulted in eating a whole chocolate bar and some Ben & Jerry's putting me way over my calories for the day! So frustrating! I'm starting the day anew with healthy eating and sticking to my goal of kicking the habit, but I just had to vent a little (okay, a lot)! Thanks for listening!
misslis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:44 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

You shouldn't be smoking pot! Maybe find some new friends--friends who don't get high and eat for fun.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:06 PM   #3  

Really easier said than done. I can't just ditch all my friends especially since I have just signed a year lease with two of them. I know it might make it easier, but I would miss them. My boyfriend of 4 1/2 years also smokes and is otherwise an awesome guy, I'm not going to dump him just because I'm ready to quit and he's not. It's kind of a bad solution because I have to learn to deal with temptation at some point. I know I shouldn't be smoking, I'm trying to quit!
Old 08-31-2007, 12:23 PM   #4  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

It's good that you are trying to quit, and even cutting back is a good step. Without judgment, it is so bad for you - for your skin, your hair, your APPETITE!

I can say with absolute certainty, you will surely not lose all the weight you want to while indulging in this habit. Like any substance (legal OR illegal) that affects - and depresses - the CNS (central nervous system) you are thwarting your efforts (and your willpower!) as soon as you allow your body to absorb this. That being said, I have watched girls keep smoking and stop eating, but I'm sure I do NOT have to give you a lecture in THAT area! Everything about this habit slows your metabolism (and no, it is nothing but a rumor that it speeds it up - see note above about CNS) and hinders a healthy lifestyle.

Good luck with your efforts, but I suspect you will really struggle so long as those around you are enjoying this lifestyle choice.

Best wishes -
Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:33 PM   #5  
hara hachi bu

Yeah, I think that losing weight and smoking pot don't go hand-in-hand very well. Not only do you tend to crave sugar, salt, and rich foods, pot also tends to make people not want to get off the couch very often.

That said, I'd say quitting smoking pot is a LOT easier than say, getting off crack or quitting drinking or even quitting cigarettes.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:12 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

I'm kind of the same way with my "one glass" of wine a night. Having one disinhibits me like no one's business, and I might have a second or decide it's okay to eat something I shouldn't. One thing that really helps though is keeping busy! Plan activities when you're vulnerable. Go for a walk when your friends are tempting you. After a walk you may remember your bigger weight loss goals and be able to resist temptation.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:20 PM   #7  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

I just want to wish you luck, I know how hard it is when your friends and everyone around you are smoking. My husband smoked almost everyday for over 10 years befor he finaly quit last year.(he said it was harder than cigaretts, he quit those about 8 years ago) He is so Happy now that he did quit, but it was very hard for him. Just don't give up, even if you give in once and a while, just keep trying. we have a lot of friends and family who still smoke, and we're not about to give up our frienships over it. Its great that you want to make lifestyle changes to get healthier, It's hard but you can do it!
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:23 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puncezilla View Post
I just want to wish you luck, I know how hard it is when your friends and everyone around you are smoking. My husband smoked almost everyday for over 10 years befor he finaly quit last year.(he said it was harder than cigaretts, he quit those about 8 years ago) He is so Happy now that he did quit, but it was very hard for him. Just don't give up, even if you give in once and a while, just keep trying. we have a lot of friends and family who still smoke, and we're not about to give up our frienships over it. Its great that you want to make lifestyle changes to get healthier, It's hard but you can do it!
Thank you for this reply! Some one who knows where I'm coming from (not that I don't appreciate everyone's feedback )! I guess it's something I do have to keep trying at, no matter what happens. I'm working on doing away with the "all or nothing" mentality that has me giving up after one little slip-up. Thanks for all the words of encouragement!
Old 09-01-2007, 02:54 AM   #9  
I'm not drunk, I have MS.

S/C/G: HW:250/SW://170

Height: 5'8" Apple Shape

You're in Hawai'i? I wouldn't even be IN the house...
ShootingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:47 PM   #10  
Pending Email Confirmation

Quitting and maintaining has been the hardest thing I've had to do. The argument of whether or not marijuana is addicting...well I don't have an answer to that, but I do know I have an addictive personality and that is enough. I gained about 60 lbs due to it. I used to be unable (or maybe at least unwilling) to function without it.

I strongly suggest finding an AA or NA meeting to start. For me it really did mean getting completely away from it. I moved away and made sure the temptation just wasn't in my life anymore. August 2 marked 8 years clean for me.. and it is a struggle still! I do still want to do it, I just don't let myself. If only I could use the same tactics to losing weight *LOL*

I have a friend who is struggling through this right now & she goes to NA meetings (something I didn't know about when I was struggling to quit) and she finds them very helpful. When it comes to her friends that still smoke - she just has had to tell them - you can't do it around me anymore. Its okay to still do it, but not around me, because I can't do it... and they have respected her wishes. Any true friend would.
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:00 PM   #11  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Without telling you that you should stop smoking all together (I am not really one to judge, and have even considered it, to stay away from alcohol), what if, say, you DIDN'T quit completely but you planned for those times that you would know you'd get the munchies? Like cut up celery and carrots and eat cherry tomatoes instead?

Ultimately, it's not really healthy for you, but I know that it's easier said than done to just stop. I'm not an alcoholic by any means, but I really enjoy wine, for example, and having one glass seems ridiculous to me. I am trying instead to have a shot of vodka with diet soda now instead when I want a drink - at least with vodka I don't end up drinking a whole bottle...
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:35 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingStar View Post
You're in Hawai'i? I wouldn't even be IN the house...
Hehe, not quite yet. I'm moving next year which is part of the reason I want to get fit (besides feeling better, being healthier, blah blah). I live in Seattle right now where we've had a very weird and cloudy summer. Usually we get gorgeous , warm, sunny summers, but this one has been a bit off.

I went yesterday without smoking despite it being Friday and all (usually I tell myself I deserve it after a long week). Yay for me! I worked out yesterday and found that exercise really helps too because it gives me that "natural high". One day at a time, right?