Old 08-30-2007, 12:11 PM   #1  
Running to Catch Up

S/C/G: 261/ticker/150

Default When does crystal light become "bad"?

I've been going through this "hard to get down water" stage for about a week now. For the past 3 months, I have had no problem drinking between 8 to 12 glasses a day. (It also doesn't help that I'm a bit sick right now with a cold).

So, I've starting drinking crystal light with my water, and it has made it much easier to drink. However, I am finding myself using it once or twice a day (the little packets).

I know that artificial sweetners aren't that good for you, and I really don't drink anything else (no coffee, soda, tea, etc). But at what point will I be doing more harm than good?

I'm sure this is just a "phase," but right now it is really hard for me to get down clear water (unless it is after exercise).
Minty Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

There will probably be some people who think that using any artificial sweeteners is always bad, but I can't see where two of those little packets a day is going to have any adverse effects. We're all trying to be healthier but in the grand scheme of things when you look back at what you used to eat, doesn't worrying about some crystal light seem a little funny?

Congrats on the no soda thing. I still live on it and can't imagine life without it.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

When does it become "bad"? When you start using it to solve non-food-related problems. In my opinion. There are SO MANY food philosophies out there that you are never going to find an entire forum that agrees on the the food approach to this question. Some of us eat NOTHING artificial, some of us survive on ALL THINGS artificial and some of us are caught somewhere in the middle of these 2 extremes. I think the one thing we would all agree on as "bad", though, is using food or beverage in any form to salve a non-food problem. Since that is clearly NOT what you're doing...then I would say you have found something that is working for you and keeping you on plan. That's something to smile about.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:59 PM   #4  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Well said, Tricia!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Personally I drink Crystal Lite everyday--oops I actually get the Walmart offbrand-taste the same and half the price! Anyway, a few years ago I basically drank nothing but soft drinks, not diet either I used the full sugar carbonated drinks that have no nutritional value and just filled me full of calories. I decided to go on a diet back then and have not had any soft drinks since then. I look at it this way, which is worse drinking pop or Crystal Lite? I think you should do what's best for you. If Crystal Lite is working into your routine then great!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:03 PM   #6  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

I like the Wal-Mart brand tooCristy! I've drank alot of the fruit punch flavor this week!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:38 PM   #7  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

I buy the Kroger brand - pretty good too! Try to only do 1 a day, but do more on those days plain water tastes nasty.
Kim
Ottoette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i don't think in limited quanity its bad. So one or two..no worries. However, make sure you are also getting some plain old water too during the day! keep up the good work
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:44 PM   #9  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

I agree with the "anything in moderation" theory. A couple of them a day won't hurt you, IN MY OPINION! As mentioned the Walmart brand is good, and I've also used the Target brand, also good! I tend to buy the ones that you mix with 2 quarts of water rather than the individual size and for those I've noticed that I actually like them better if I mix more water with them than they call for, like an extra 2 cups or so.
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen415 View Post
I like the Wal-Mart brand tooCristy! I've drank alot of the fruit punch flavor this week!
My family is addicted to Cherry! I sometimes get the Sunrise Orange because I have myself convinced that the next time I buy it it's going to taste like Tang. . .but it doesn't! Oh well, can't beat the price. In my area it's 1.86 and makes enough for 3 gallons. With this heat and humidity I've been making about a gallon a day (gulp)
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:40 PM   #11  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Height: 5'7

I drink that all the time. I but the walmart brand because it tastes just as good (some are better) and it is like half the price. I drink sometimes 3 a day. I also drink regular water. But if it helps you and until someone gives me HARD evidence that artificial sweetner is bad for me then Im going to contiune drinking as much as I want. It helps me get my water and it also helps me when I want something sweet. Ill grab a bottle of water and put in one of them in and it solves that problem
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

I halve the packets,so 1 will go into 2 bottles of water.That way I still get a slight flavor,but I also feel like I'm drinking more water then anything else.Anything to get the water down
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

I had this mental guilt trip awhile back too. Then I thought about what I used to drink. I used to drink 6-8 cans of Mt.Dew a day. Compared to that, a little Crystal Light to spice up my all-water-day is soooo ok. DH drinks even more than I do and he's fine too.
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:56 AM   #14  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Artificial sweeteners make me really sick, but if I could drink them I'd definitely do the Crystal Light thing. I agree with the others, a couple a day won't hurt anything. Good for you for figuring out how to get your water in!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:14 AM   #15  

Height: 5'5"

I personally don't like Crystal Light, so I've never been tempted to use it. However, I agree that if you enjoy it and you don't have negative side effects, it's a tool that sounds like it works. It's all about finding the right tools to continue to make it possible to do what you're doing with such success!

I thought that I would make an additional suggestion, though, that might add a bit of additional variety. I will occasionally spike my water with a little bit of juice to liven it up. I only use a small amount (about a teaspoon per 20 ounces) so as not to overdo the sugar and calories, but I really do like it on occasion. I have heard that others will also do seltzer water if they miss the bubbles from soda. Never been a big bubble fan, so I've never done that.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote