Old 08-28-2007, 03:08 PM   #1  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

Default Can you pour the oil off the top of Natural Peanut Butter?

I want to eat peanut butter!!! I just can't make myself put a spoonfull of 12 gms of fat on my bread or anything else. So I thought.............I will buy some natural peanut butter and then just pour the oil off the top.

Anybody done this? Is it still edible? Does it really make the fat content and calories go down by pouring off the oil?

MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:46 PM   #2  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I tried this...and all I can say is Yuck! This was the hardest non-spreadable stuff imaginable. I tossed the jar.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:11 PM   #3  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I bet it does make the calories/fat go down, but that type of fat is GOOD for you! And besides, you need some healthy fat in your diet. Don't throw it out!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

I always pour at least half of the fat off when the jar is new (save the fat). I then churn it to mix it the best I can. When about half way done it often gets very hard so I pour a bit of the fat back and mix it in. Also, when it's just too hard to spread I micro it for a few seconds.

I have know ides weather or not this changes the calories. I just count what it says on the jar.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

The oil in peanut butter is mostly monosaturated and is a "heart-healthy" fat that is good for you.

Fat is definitely not all evil, we need healthy fat in our diets. The only time that dieting ever made me sick was during an extreme low fat diet in college, I didn't menstruate and my hair fell out by the handful in the shower.

Ever since, I've made it a goal to get enough healthy fat every day, at least 25% of my calories come from healthy fats (olive oil, nuts/nut butters, olives, salmon, avocados).

If you are looking to cut down on the calorie content of peanut butter, look at portion size rather than removing the fat!

http://www.smartwomensupplements.com...tty-acids.html

Benefits of healthy fats:

Essential fats establish and maintain our health by:

Increasing energy, performance, and stamina
  • EFA's enhance thermo genesis, help build muscle, prevent muscle break down, and speed recovery from fatigue

Strengthening the immune system
  • EFA's make hormone-like eicosanoids that regulate immune and inflammatory responses
  • N-3s have anti-inflammatory effects and can slow autoimmune damage[/I]

Lowering risk factors for cardiovascular disease
  • EFA's (especially n3s) lower abnormally high levels of blood pressure, triglycerides, Lp(a), fibrinogen, tendency to clot formation, and inflammation

Improving brain function: mood, intelligence , behavior, and vision
  • Our brain is over 60% fat. EFA's are important components of the entire nervous system
  • They are necessary to make the neurotransmitter serotonin
  • Depression and other brain diseases show decreased levels of n-3

Aiding in weight reduction
  • EFA's help keep mood and energy up and suppress appetite, thereby aiding in weight loss.
  • More recently, they have been found to block the genes that produce fat in the body (saturated and trans fat do not have this same effect) and increase thermogenesis

Regulating organs and glands
  • Liver and kidneys, adrenal and thyroid glands, and the production of
  • male and female hormones need EFA's

Speeding up the recovery and healing process
  • EFA's are necessary for cell growth and division
  • They form all cell membranes and regulate vital cell activity

Supporting healthy child development
  • For nervous system development, a growing fetus needs optimum EFA's from the mother's body.
  • Mothers become depleted of EFA's during pregnancy, and need optimal EFA intake for their health and their children's optimum development

Improving digestion
  • Poorly digested foods tie up the immune system and can cause gut inflammation, leaky gut, and allergies
  • N-3s improve gut integrity, and decrease inflammation and "leaky gut"

Decreasing chance of infection
  • EFA's have anti-fungal, anti-yeast, and anti-microbial properties, helping to protect against infections

Keeping bones strong
  • EFA's aid in the transport of minerals that keep bones and teeth strong, helping to prevent osteoporosis

Protecting genetic material
  • EFA's regulate gene expression, and n-3s inhibit tumor growth

Easing PMS
  • Studies indicate that n-6 (GLA) intake was voted, by women, among the top three most effective PMS treatments. N-3s may be even more effective

Producing beautiful skin, hair, and nails
  • Some of the first signs of EFA deficiency are dry, flaky skin, dull hair, and brittle nails. N-3s can help skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, and acne
  • Also, GLA (n-6 derivative) administration is useful for some patients with atopic eczema
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:42 PM   #6  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I pour about 3/4 of it off. I know it's good fat, but I figure there is still a lot of good fat left in the rest of the contents of the jar. I also pour most of the oil off of prepackaged pesto sauce. In both of these cases, I pour it off more because I like the texture of both better when they're less oily.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

The obsessive counter in me wants to know how you would count what you were eating if you altered it? I only eat something when I know EXACTLY what the calories are. So, if I poured off the oil I would be altering the calorie content and it would suddenly be placed in the "unknown" category and then I'd be unable to make myself eat it at all!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #8  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Height: 5'7

if you pour the oil out, it will make the peanut butter dry and nasty. plus the oil in peanut butter is good for you. I usually do 1/2 the serving so it cuts the calories and fat in half. and it is plenty. so instead of 2 tbsp I have one.
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:27 PM   #9  
ShellieTerese

S/C/G: 274/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Without the oil, the peanut butter in the bottom of the jar can only be gotten out with a hammer and chisel, and is a lot like trying to eat morter. I'm sure you could use it to lay bricks that would last forever.
Bouncing is offline   Reply With Quote