Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 11:02 AM   #1  
Wanna be below 200!

S/C/G: 289/see ticker/150

Height: 5ft7

Default The diet plate

Hi Girls,

I have been counting my calories recently, and I don't mind weighing my breakfast out, or measuring my lunch, but my husband always cooks my dinners and I find that I often end up overeating, simply because my plate is piled high and I feel I should finish it. I've seen a few adverts for the diet plate, and I like the idea of controlling how much I eat. Has anyone tried it? And what did you think? http://www.thedietplate.co.uk/index.php
Old 06-20-2007, 11:16 AM   #2  
it's always something

I've seen a lot of people ask about it, but I don't recall anyone saying if they liked it or not.

It looks like it might be worth a try! Another suggestion might be to use a smaller plate. Several diet books suggest using a 7 inch plate instead of a standard dinner plate. I've tried it and it really did help me
Old 06-20-2007, 11:18 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I use a salad plate as my dinner plate. and I make sure it isn't "piled high". It works pretty well.

Oh also at the recommendation of Suzanne, I bought kid sized bowls too. Although I was able to find some bowls that were smaller but the kid sized ones were more economic.

Last edited by nelie; 06-20-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:41 AM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

At first glance, they kinda remind me of those childrens colorful cartoony plates. I found a lovely set of blue square salad plates that I use as my everyday dinner/meal plates... I have guests a lot...nobody has ever said "Gee these plates are too small" The presentation looks nice, and you can't put too much on them. So all who dine with me benefit w/o knowing!...
Old 06-20-2007, 12:10 PM   #5  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I read in the book "Mindless Eating" about the Idaho plate method in which you split your dinner plate in half and fill that half with non-starchy veggies, the other half of the plate, you cut in half and can have your protein on one side and your starch on the other side. So, you have half a plate of veggies, one quarter of your plate meat and one quarter starch. I try to follow that way with my family. I feel it's a really good balanced way to eat. My only problem is finding veggies that my kids will eat. You can only have green beans so many times a week!! (that's about all they like). They have a website www.platemethod.com. You can request a complimentary copy of the guide without having to purchase the placemat. I was going to get a placemat, but the shipping was way too much for what it was, I thought.
Also, the book Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink is a very good read. It's not a diet book, but is about the psychology of why we eat like we do. He's a professor at Cornell Univ. and does all kinds of interesting studies.
Best Wishes, Donna
Old 06-20-2007, 01:24 PM   #6  

I am a huge fan of the smaller plate - they have great ones at Target for 2 bucks each. I also use Measuring Cups as serving spoons - my little guys think it is cool and my hubby does not care - but if my portion should be 1/4 cup, then that is what goes in the bowl. It has really helped me get a grip on my portions.
KM
Old 06-20-2007, 01:40 PM   #7  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

it's a cool looking plate.

i do the half veggies 1/4 protein 1/4 starchy item plus a big bowl of salad for dinner...
Old 06-20-2007, 01:48 PM   #8  
Wanna be below 200!

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll try eating on a smaller plate and see how I go with that, its a really good idea. I'll keep you posted on what I find. Its a shame the diet plate is so expensive, I'd have been really happy to try it if it had been cheaper.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:41 PM   #9  
it's always something

I use a Spongebob Squarepants plate and bowl set
Old 06-20-2007, 02:49 PM   #10  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
I use a Spongebob Squarepants plate and bowl set
I want PICTURES! oh that's too funny...
Old 06-21-2007, 03:57 AM   #11  
Wanna be below 200!

I'm thinking of a pirates of the caribbean plate then Johnny Depp can stare up at me whenever I finish eating (I know I'm very strange)
Old 08-27-2007, 05:19 PM   #12  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I use the salad plate and dessert bowls...they are MUCH smaller and make a big difference. So I say, why spend more, when you have something that will work.
Closed Thread