Old 08-24-2007, 11:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 304/280/150

Height: 5'5"

Default I'm confused

OK, I am stumped. All the gritching I've done about being off plan, no exercise the last week and this morning I was down almost 3 pounds from yesterday. I can think of two reasons...TOM came Wednesday and the water I was retaining from it let loose. Second possibility is that all the exercise I did from July 6 - August 17 helped build muscle that burns more now than I burned before I started the weight loss. Not that I am complaining now about the scale being down even after a not so great week. Believe me, I'll take it! (Not gonna change my ticker till Monday though, thats my change day.) I just dont understand it. Could my theories be right?
ChristyDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:02 PM   #2  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Hmmm....the only thing I can think of is that on the WW site they talk a lot about having one or two higher calorie days in your week to keep your metabolism charged on the principal that if you eat the same amount of calories every day your body learns how to best use those calories to maintain its current weight. Eating differing amounts each day doesn't let your body get into that routine. I've not tried it, but that combined with your TOM going away might be the answer. What ever it is, the scale looks good, eh?
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 304/280/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterswife View Post
Hmmm....the only thing I can think of is that on the WW site they talk a lot about having one or two higher calorie days in your week to keep your metabolism charged on the principal that if you eat the same amount of calories every day your body learns how to best use those calories to maintain its current weight. Eating differing amounts each day doesn't let your body get into that routine. I've not tried it, but that combined with your TOM going away might be the answer. What ever it is, the scale looks good, eh?
Darn right it looked good!! Each time I got on and off again it looked good. I haven't ever done this before, but today I kid you not...I got off and on again and reweighed like 6 times. LOL!!!
ChristyDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

It IS confusing, but this is the way weight loss works! It's not like eating OP and exercising on day 1 will show exactly the appropriate loss on day 2. It takes longer for eating well (or eating poorly) to show results. And then all the other factors: water retention, etc. It does take quite a while to build muscle, especially for women, so that's likely to be a very small factor at best.

So, you have to get used to the fact that you won't necessarily see the good losses (or the bad gains) right away...

CONGRATS!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #5  

Just to offer a different perspective, I will tell you that for me, I almost always get immediate scale feedback the next day. It's been consistent for me since I started this that an OP day will show good results the next morning, and I will also see the results of poor choices the next morning. Having said that, however, the scale is not always predictable. I have seen unexplained gains and unexplained losses. Charting these helps identify patterns, but I have just learned that weight loss is not linear. Nevertheless, it is predictable enough that it's worth it to stick to plan!!

Congratulations that the scale gods have smiled on you. They are such a fickle lot, and you have somehow earned their approval!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I agree with Heather. My good OP days don't show up on the scale for at least a couple of days, likewise my not so good days. It's not immediate.

As far as the muscle goes, it takes months and months to build up.

I would say it was probably just time to release the weight, whether it was TOM of not. There's not always rhyme and reason. It CAN be very confusing. Just take it - and enjoy it. Congrats!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote