Old 08-23-2007, 09:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'7"

Default Water, Water Everywhere!

Hi!
After a lifetime (it seems!) of dieting, I know about the standard 8-8oz glasses of water you are supposed to have every day. Has anyone ever heard about people losing MORE weight by drinking more water than that?
For the last 3 days, I've been trying to drink more...104 oz, 104 oz, and yesterday 156 oz! My jeans seem to be looser this morning.....Hmmmm.... With as much as I have to visit the ladies room they OUGHT to be! I didn't know if it was my imagination or what....
Blessings,
Peggy
PeggyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:16 AM   #2  
Pending Email Confirmation

Perhaps your many many jogs to the bathroom did it?

Seriously - I don't know the answer...but I have heard that there is too much of a good thing- even water...
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

I can tell you I lost 75 lbs without drinking any extra water at all - just a glass with lunch, dinner, after working out, plus a few cups of tea during the day.

Not sure how water by itself is supposed to help you lose weight faster? Why would it?
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 304/280/150

Height: 5'5"

I don't know how true it is, but I remember seeing once you should drink at least 3/4 of your weight in water ounces a day. I don't know though...there is such a thing as water poisoning, so don't over-do it. I know for me personally I'm comfortable with 80-100 ounces a day. No where near the 3/4 thing. But it's where I feel good. It keeps me hydrated while at the same time I don't feel water bloated. And I know it's helping flush out the fat I'm burning. I'd say keep track of how many ounces a day helps you feel your best.
ChristyDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I am a water drinker, always have been though. I loose track of how much I drink in a days time. It helps me stay hydrated, feel full, and I have a pretty nice complexion (folks always say I look younger than I actually am) Drink however much you feel good with!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

I do have to say that the synergy with PeggyP's content and user name is pretty hilarious
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

As for the original question, I haven't come across any research that says it helps with weight loss. Some people feel it fills them up, but I've actually seen research disputing that point, but don't recall how it was conducted. So, I'm not sure it helps with weight loss, per se.

But, you may be surprised to learn that you don't need as much water as we've all been told our whole lives. There's been a lot of research lately around this notion of how much water we need. Here's a good summary of a recent article that has since been confirmed with other research. (A link to the original article is at the bottom of the page).

http://dms.dartmouth.edu/news/2002_h...02_water.shtml

It turns out no one knows where the recommendation to drink 8 8 oz glasses of water a day came from. Seriously! The best guess they have is that

"the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Research Council recommended approximately "1 milliliter of water for each calorie of food," which would amount to roughly two to two-and-a-half quarts per day (64 to 80 ounces). Although in its next sentence, the Board stated "most of this quantity is contained in prepared foods," that last sentence may have been missed, so that the recommendation was erroneously interpreted as how much water one should drink each day."

Also, the research has continued and found that caffeinated beverages are not diuretics. The old wisdom was that the diuretic properties in caffeine took out more liquid than they added seems to be false (it also had never been tested). It may be true for people who have just started drinking caffeine, but quickly reverses itself. So you can count coffee and tea as part of your "water" total.

The conclusion I have come to from this and other research is that hydration IS important. If you like to drink it -- drink it (in reasonable quantities). And, if you are exercising, or sweating, or someplace warm, you do need to watch your hydration levels, it IS important.

But if you don't like to drink water then, for hydration purposes, you probably don't have to worry about getting enough -- much of it will come from your food and other liquids you drink. Hydration is not about JUST water.

Of course, as is often discussed on this forum, there may be other reasons people want to shift to water only, or even to drink more water. But for those who struggle to get all the "recommended" water in, you're probably fine!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:21 AM   #8  

S/C/G: see ticker

Glory87,
I agree! I told someone the other day that it makes sense why my initials are what they are!! ;-)
PeggyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:22 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 297/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'8

You do need to be careful when drinking alot of water! Im not sure how much is classified as alot when it comes to water poisoning, but I everyone is different.
cara1980 is offline   Reply With Quote