Old 08-22-2007, 06:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/213/150

Height: 5'7

Question have any of you had your Thyroid tested???

i went up again today a couple ounces. The girl said it may take a few days to a week to see big changes if your having things higher in salt. so i am cancelling cheese out and going to yogurt again.

She also asked if I had my thyroid checked lately? I said I have never done that in my life. She said I may want to consider doing that. she said, 1/4th of the clients who get it tested seem to have a thyroid out of wack. some need meds and some are not serious enough for that but she thought it may help me know why its a slow moving scale now.

I have a appt. on Monday morning with my doctor at 8:30 am to get tested

Can anyone tell me how they test you? what are signs of this being a issue and anything else you can tell me?? I have no idea if its in the family my mom and dad were average size people no weight issue really. however I have no way of knowing any more then that they both passed away.

She said that Stress, lack of sleep, are signs which I know I have both of those going on. However who knows if thats what has caused this to happen, I really think my stress and being tired is the same as always but what I THINK and what MY BODY THINKS are not always the same!
6digmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:24 PM   #2  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I had my thyroid tested a few years ago and I think it was a simple blood test. I could be wrong, it's been awhile. In a space of 6 months, 3 of my mom's cousins developed thyroid cancer, so I wasn't taking any chances. (No thyroid cancer, instead I later devloped breast cancer which no one is our family has ever had, I'm such an oddity)
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Question

At my last check-up, the doctor had a gadget that looked like the mutant offspring of a tuning fork and a couple of stethoscope heads. He got it vibrating, held it against my legs and told me to say when I thought it stopped vibrating (the sensation was like rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ... rrr ... rrr ..........) I said "when" at about the rrr ... rrr, and he said that meant the thyroid might be off so I should have a check for that in my blood work (the result was ok). Next check-up I better just wait until the vibrating thingie stops altogether (I'd never had the test before) before I speak up?
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 191/184/110

Height: 5'2"

Mine was discovered during a physical... I had packed on some serious weight in a short time, and my neck was significantly larger than before. It started with a series of blood tests, then an ultrasound. I then had more blood work, and a scan. Then to the endocrinologist and then more bloodwork and a biopsy before I was put on Synthroid late this June. The jury's still out... will let you know more in a few more weeks what I think.
Loriannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:17 PM   #5  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

I have my checked regularly--thyroid issues run in my family. It is a simple blood test. This last time (last month) it was borderline, so I started a very low dose of of meds.

I would say--go ahead and get it checked.
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:30 PM   #6  
barb

Thyroid test yep always.....It is a blood test. ...simple and fast. However, some doc. go by an old set of # to compare it with. And may say you are fine..... If you are borderline go get a second opion. I do know that it is overlooked often and people often continue to have the many isde effects of a thyroid disorder....Mine was so out of wack when it was discovered that I am still trying to get it normal.....4 years later.....I was TIRED, weak, achy,sleepless nights, moody and weight gain etc....So get it checked , it really could be the reason ...good luck
djmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:18 PM   #7  

ok thanks alot!
Old 08-22-2007, 10:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 162/157/130

Height: 5'7.5

I go to a Naturopath, and early this year I asked her to check my thyroid. I thought maybe it was my thyroid that caused me to gain weight, and made it impossible to lose. My thyroid was fine....I just needed to diet very strictly and do more cardio.

Anyhow, she did it by giving me a temperature chart, and every morning as soon as I awoke, before even getting out of bed, I took my temperature and recorded it. I can't remember the numbers, but if it is too high or low from the range it is supposed to be in, one would have an over-active, or under- active thyroid. Hope this helps.
Nikkelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:47 PM   #9  
doing LAWL since May25/07

S/C/G: 174.4/132.5/130.0

Height: 5'1"

a couple of years ago my naturopath tested mine and it was in the normal range but barely (sluggish) so he put me on meds for a month and it kick started it but I am thinking I may need it again. It was just a simple blood test.
NaomiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:33 AM   #10  

I did one of those questionaires that they have on sites to see if its sluggish , anyone ever see what I am talking about???

I did one on one site one on another one the scale of 0( not working)-100 working fine, mine fell at 50 based obviously on questions only I know.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:13 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 187/171.8/150

Height: 5feet 4inches

What are the symptons? Besides weight gain?
QueenLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:43 AM   #12  
It's a Working Progress

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Both my mom and my grandmom have thyroid issues. Mom had a goiter when she was about 15 and had to get half of her thyroid removed. Grams's completely shut down about 5 years ago, so both of them are on meds for it. Mom has struggled with her weight for years since then. I'm wondering if I should get mine checked? Hmm..
bnorah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:46 AM   #13  

I am not sure of all the signs I was hoping someone would have more knowledge on it.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:49 PM   #14  
Starting over after baby!

S/C/G: 285/See Ticker/200

Height: 5'7''

http://www.endocrineweb.com/hypo1.html
http://www.endocrineweb.com/hyper1.html

This is where I get all my thyroid info. The first thing to find our is whether it is overactive (hyperthyroidism) or under active (hypothyroidism). If you do find out, and it is either of the above, I would highly recommend going to an endocrinologist. Family docs as well as Gyns know a lot, but seeing that the thyroid is part of the endocrine system in your body, an endocrinologist would be more knowledgeable and informed of new medical findings.

Both of the links have a great amount of info as well as signs and symptoms!

HTH!
bradleys mom is offline   Reply With Quote